Make a donation

Author Topic: tyre advice for new member  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: tyre advice for new member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 10:22:23 am »
Based on info posted so far, can you mix PS3's with GY F1's? (Both asymmetric and only per axle of course).  :happy2:
I'd personally be uncomfortable with that.  The Michelins have a far stiffer carcass compared to the GYs - this was evident on your car at JKM last weekend.  Even at slow-speed car park manovers, the sidewalls on the GYs were deforming quite alarmingly.

If you do wish to mix PS3s with GY F1s, stick the PS3 on the rear, and keep the squidgy F1s on the front.

If so, I can metamorphasise into Michelin man:

You can do, but you need to teach the man in white about the birds and the bees - a knee from behind is oh so wrong! :evilgrin:

Start a new thread if you wanna go into more detail. :wink:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 10:23:50 am »
^^^^
@ Sean T_T:

I don't regularly read EVO (or any other motor mags) and I didn't see any reports of what you say. Doesn't mean there weren't any but only that I completely missed them. So no need to serve any ostrich insinuations. C a l m . . . .

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:27:31 am »

Based on info posted so far, can you mix PS3's with GY F1's? (Both asymmetric and only per axle of course).  :happy2:

I'd personally be uncomfortable with that.  The Michelins have a far stiffer carcass compared to the GYs - this was evident on your car at JKM last weekend.  Even at slow-speed car park manovers, the sidewalls on the GYs were deforming quite alarmingly.

If you do wish to mix PS3s with GY F1s, stick the PS3 on the rear, and keep the squidgy F1s on the front.

....I wish you'd shown me about my F1 tyre walls at JKM. However, my car does corner quite well but it would appear it might do so even better on PS3's.

I always put the pair of new tyres on the rear. Cheaper to buy 2 tyres at a time than 4 and the fronts wear out quicker.

Ta for the advice  :drinking:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:29:55 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 10:28:07 am »
^^^^
@ Sean T_T:

I don't regularly read EVO (or any other motor mags) and I didn't see any reports of what you say. Doesn't mean there weren't any but only that I completely missed them. So no need to serve any ostrich insinuations. C a l m . . . .
Hmmmm . . . the Evo issue was very earnestly discussed (with links or images of the article) on the GolfGTI.co.uk forum - before this place existied.  Maybe that weed of your youth damaged your grey matter! :evilgrin:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 10:32:30 am »
^^^^
@ Sean T_T:

Hmmmm . . . the Evo issue was very earnestly discussed (with links or images of the article) on the GolfGTI.co.uk forum - before this place existied.  Maybe that weed of your youth damaged your grey matter! :evilgrin:

....Absolutely no regrets about my youth! I never saw the discussions you refer to... Simples.