Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI vs Focus ST  (Read 18364 times)

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MK5 GTI vs Focus ST
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:17:54 pm »
Anyone owned both these cars?

Have narrowed my next car down to either of these but am leaning towards the GTI for following reasons.....

Better running costs
Higher quality interior
Steering Wheel  :grin:
Already owned an ST

I test drove both last week, the GTI was standard but the ST has the bluefin stage 1 remap. The GTI although slower impressed me, i enjoyed the interior (leather, sat nav) and ride was good around town even with the 18" alloys. But the ST with its tuning potential, engine note and cheap parts is hanging on in there as an option.

Surely i can count on the members here to give a thoroughly objective view on the two cars  :party:
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline Tara

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • If it doesnt break...your not going hard enough!
    • Email
Re: MK5 GTI vs Focus ST
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:20:42 pm »
My ex had a ST and my GTI made it look silly! ST is a awful car! Go for a golf  :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:23:08 pm »
I have a Golf and I am looking at swapping for an ST in the next few months..............i think. :surprised:

Offline Felix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:29:22 pm »
I was surprised to find the gti could keep up with one after a few tet a tets on a road near here with an ST owner (not racing just freindly comparison I add  :happy2:), although they are heavy beasts and the fuel consumption (and image) would kill it for me. Bet they sound better than the gti.
300hp Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30

h4rdy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:36:25 pm »
I have driven one a 2010 model.

I personally didn't like it and found it very un-turbo like to drive.

I personally like Turbo cars but it was very linear.

I am a VW fan but needless to say I wouldn't buy one.

My ED30 is definitely a better drivers car whereas the Ford is a bit boring, and the torque steer! Echoes of 1980's RS Turbo.

I would however have my Subaru Impreza back tomorrow, and if it wasn't for the wife I would have a STI Spec D sitting in the drive!

Now thats a drivers car!

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44:43 pm »
My ED30 is definitely a better drivers car whereas the Ford is a bit boring, and the torque steer! Echoes of 1980's RS Turbo.

I would however have my Subaru Impreza back tomorrow, and if it wasn't for the wife I would have a STI Spec D sitting in the drive!

Now thats a drivers car!

Amen to that! My blobeye STi was amazing car and if it wasnt for my wife id still have it!
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:46:22 pm »
My ex had a ST and my GTI made it look silly! ST is a awful car! Go for a golf  :happy2:

Little harsh this, in what ways did it make it look silly? ST is not an awful car i can vouch for that.
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51:08 pm »
I played with 2 well modded and diff'd STs around Oulton when mine was St2+. I just had the legs in a straight line, corners I danced around them.

Still wouldn't call the ST a bad car though.
Sideways yo!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 12:54:20 pm »
I have had both, albeit i had an edition 30, the ST is a very good car, the big downsides of the ST for me are image and MPG, mine never really got above 19mpg  :confused:

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 12:58:30 pm »
I have had both, albeit i had an edition 30, the ST is a very good car, the big downsides of the ST for me are image and MPG, mine never really got above 19mpg  :confused:

Same here, mpg would be slightly better than my sti was so worried about that. Plus you hear about so many ST's getting car jacked and stolen lately  :surprised:
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 02:51:56 pm »

Same here, mpg would be slightly better than my sti was so worried about that. Plus you hear about so many ST's getting car jacked and stolen lately  :surprised:

The GTI has also had a few cars stolen lately. Reported on here too. :sad1:

A couple of my workmates have/had ST's and I've driven a few too. No a bad car, but there are better options out there and the GTI is definitely one of them. The new ST is touted as having 250bhp, but I bet that will be just an ECU tweak.

Now an Edition 30 would definitely make an ST look slow, my old ED30 even made remapped RS's look slow :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 03:27:46 pm »
Never driven an ST but my mate has one and the GTI is far superior on the inside to the ST.

As for all this "tuning potential" I cant see what the difference is. You can still remap a GTI, change exhaust systems, add larger air intakes etc etc.

Mine has a FTB Miltek and sounds better than my mates ST so thats the sound argument out the window. Dont get me wrong, they are very nice, quick cars but I would choose the GTI all day long till the cows came home.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 03:36:25 pm »
I own a GTI and have rented an ST for a weekend. The ST was horrible and I would never own one.
I could go in to all the good and bad points of each, but I honestly can't be bothered to go through the long, long list of bad points of the ST.

I'm no GTI fanboy, but they are a million times better than an ST in my opinion

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 04:47:26 pm »
Image does it for me. Then again due to image I'd never buy an sti hahaha

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 05:07:47 pm »
Interesting argument this one. Plenty of people rate the GTI over the ST but having driven my mates ST Mountune I failed to see much difference in anything other than the cabin quality however I can see the MPG being an issue.
 I've recently floated about on a ST forum and from looking on there the parts that have come up second hand are definitely cheaper than the equivalent GTI part and as for a GTI sounding better I'm not so sure.