Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo Stage 1 remap price on ED30?  (Read 4996 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Revo Stage 1 remap price on ED30?
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »
Hi guys, I have been quoted £499.00 plus VAT for this an told it will bring it up to around 300bhp for my standard ED30. 
Is this a competitive price?

Now I am seriously thinking of having this done having never modded cars before. The benefits I guess, are obvious but can you tell me about any downsides to having this done?

For example how ill the remap affect -

1.) MPG
2.) Driveshafts
3.) Tyre life
4.) Do you HAVE to change any other OEM parts at the same time to ensure that you can actually get the power down?
5.) How do your remapped cars get on in the wet?
6.) Anthing else I need to consider before having this done?

Cheers, Berg
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Re: Revo Stage 1 remap price on ED30?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:00:15 pm »
Hi guys, I have been quoted £499.00 plus VAT for this an told it will bring it up to around 300bhp for my standard ED30.  
Is this a competitive price? Seems like a reasonable price.

Now I am seriously thinking of having this done having never modded cars before. The benefits I guess, are obvious but can you tell me about any downsides to having this done?

For example how ill the remap affect -

1.) MPG Can improve depending how you drive, but thats not the reason you get it done  :evilgrin:
2.) Driveshafts
3.) Tyre life Again depends how heavy your right foot is.
4.) Do you HAVE to change any other OEM parts at the same time to ensure that you can actually get the power down? You can do numerous things but that isnt absolutely necessary imo of course. The popular upgrades are R32/S3 front brakes and coilovers. A good set of tyres always help, I had F1's and found them to be brilliant.
5.) How do your remapped cars get on in the wet?  :driver:
6.) Anthing else I need to consider before having this done? How soon you can do it  :P

Cheers, Berg

Check out the modifying area, there is a whole thread on Revo remaps, there is also a switch available so you can load different maps. Stock/Race etc.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,42.0.html

It appears there is a thread to a company offering a 15% discount if its still on.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:04:37 pm by Edition30 »
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:26:40 pm »
most have been answered above. 

1-driven gently MPG will improve, driven hard it will be worse

2-Driveshafts - Never heard of any one have an issue with drivveshafts, and people have had these pushing out 500+Hp.

3-there are so many variables here.  Driving style, tyre brand/type, you wil get more wheel spin if you use the accelerator as an on/off switch.  you get used to the power very quickly and hoow to best put it down.

4-no other parts need to be replaced.  the only common fauklt is the original diverter valves used to tear.  VW released a new piston version which solves this and is only £48.

5-brakes-depends how you use them.  road upto around 260hp, you should be ok.  For track, you need to look into them.

6-Chassis upgrades will help massively in hgetting the power down and are highly reccomended for high power cars.  a 240Hp stage 1 GTI will be 100% fine on oem suspension and brakes

7-In the wet--irrelevant of power, these are easy to spin up in the wet.  with a remap, you will find the torque is that much improved you can use 1 gear higher and still get the same rate of acceleration as standard.  Driving in the wet is frustrating in a FWD full stop.  you just have to learn to drive around its weaknesses.  good tyres are a must

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:23 am »
Thats great thanks guys.

So, apart from the fact would have to wait to get the extra power it seems that it will probably be prudent to get S3 brakes on and coilovers first so the car is pre prepared to handle and stop better before the extra horses?

Any idea how much an S3 upgrade will cost - around £500.00 also am guessing?

Many thanks

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:16:33 pm »
You can pick up the brakes cheaper than that. Check the for sale section, seem to pop up every now and then. Me personally would aim to get the brakes and map done at the same time. Cant comment on how much the coilovers/engine mounts etc etc help as I never had them done. I instantly noticed that the brakes weren't upto the extra power though. Few scary moments with the trial remap  :driver:

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:30:02 pm »
Thats great thanks guys.

So, apart from the fact would have to wait to get the extra power it seems that it will probably be prudent to get S3 brakes on and coilovers first so the car is pre prepared to handle and stop better before the extra horses?

Any idea how much an S3 upgrade will cost - around £500.00 also am guessing?

Many thanks

you do not need coilovers at all.  I had coilovers on mine, would i do it again....No.  to many downsides to coilovers in my experience.  Id go with spring/damper upgrades and save myself the cash and discomfort.

brakes i would agree with, but for stage 1 they are not needed.  just a nice to have as most mods are.  stage 1 is designed to go on the car and require no further modifications

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »
I would also budget for a clutch just in case it starts to slip.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:12:56 pm »
Ok, i will get a quote for a Stage 1 with brake upgrade also i think as better safe than sorry.

I had a look on the technical revo thread and some people suggested that it reverted back to stock when a.) battery was disconnected and b.) cruise control had been one for a while - is this the case?

Thanks for the comments so far.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:28:33 pm »
I would also budget for a clutch just in case it starts to slip.

I dont recall reading about anyone having any slip with Stage 1...Stage 2+ then yeah but  :confused: ??

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:37:32 pm »
Well I get clutch slip and a few others do and ours are only 200bhp standard. ED30 shares the same clutch AFAIK.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2