Make a donation

Author Topic: Wrong tyre advice.....Help  (Read 8719 times)

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
Wrong tyre advice.....Help
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:33:03 pm »
Just spoken to three tyre fitting places, with regards to swapping my front tyres.

One set I asked about was the ContiSportContact 3 as it got the nod in a recent tyre test over the PS3 and the GY F1 Asymmetric.

However, they all said that their Contis were supplied as MO spec, for Mercedes? Never heard of that one before. Asked if it would make a difference to the characteristics of the car - "no Sir they are a universal fit as they were originally specified for Mercedes, so there will be no change in their characteristics."

Didn't sound right to me, anyone else come across this ??

I've done a search of all the forums and peoples opinions are black & white.  :scared:

Had 2 sets of F1s, on one the side wall got an egg on it late in its life. Grip much better than the ContiSport2s that they replaced.

So looking at the CS 3 or Saint Steves Favs the Vredesteins Sessanta.
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Wrong tyre advice.....Help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 04:42:03 pm »
In the EVO tyre test they used PS2's not PS3's. http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20277.0.html

PS3's are outstanding.  :wink: :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »
i fit tyres and the some tyes do come with the mo spec as the pirelli tyre come with either a for audi or j for jag on the tyres..they are a universal fit the cs3 are a good tyre but the Vredesteins Sessanta are better still

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »
ContiSportContact3s are very good, but PS2s are better.

Re the 'MO' rating - yes, this means 'Mercedes Original', meaning orgininal factory fit on Mercs.  Regarding MO fitement to other cars - this is perfectly acceptable.  This info is from a genuine Michelin tech spec and installer guide.

There are specific tyres which can NOT be fitted to makes other than specifically designed - the most common are Porsche 'N' tyres (N0, N1, N2, N3) - these can not be fitted to anything other than a Porsche (and Porsches can not use anything but N tyres).  The others are C1 for Chrysler (Viper GTS), and K1 for Ferraris.

All other specific markings B (Bentley and Audi), G1 (Michelin specific), A (Reno Espace), * (BMW group), and RO1 (Audi) -  can also be used on other cars.

HTH

Oh, what was the 'black and white' opinion from other forums?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:47:42 pm »

PS3's are outstanding.  :wink: :happy2:

x2 best tyres ive ever owned :happy2:
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:52:00 pm »
thing i might try them next time round but me doing 3 miles a day might be a long time  :signLOL:

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 04:55:20 pm »
Sean I was thinking about people's opinions regards the F1 Asy Vs PS3 etc. Hate on love the other etc.

I have the Auto Express "cough"  :ashamed: and the EVO December 2010 Tyre tests in front of me and the Contis do well in both tests.  The PS3 come second in the AE test.

Why are the PS3 so much better in your opinion? ( apart from aquaplaning Vs PS2).

In everyday driving how much can you tell the difference with the premium brands? Or is it only when REALLY pressing on?

I'm sure that Hurdy mentioned somewhere that he felt that there was very little difference between the Vreds and the GY F1 Asy......
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 04:57:45 pm »
thing i might try them next time round but me doing 3 miles a day might be a long time  :signLOL:

I do about 200 miles a week on a mixture of motorway, A roads and a new dual carriageway. So the tyres have to be jack of all trades, sporty comfy, quiet and give a good ride.. :laugh:

Now where was that Pirelli P Zero k1 write up....... :confused:

Just found one of your old threads TT:-

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3410.15.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:02:54 pm by TagnuT »
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 04:59:10 pm »
thing i might try them next time round but me doing 3 miles a day might be a long time  :signLOL:

I do about 200 miles a week on a mixture of motorway, A roads and a new dual carriageway. So the tyres have to be jack of all trades, sporty comfy, quiet and give a good ride.. :laugh:

Now where was that Pirelli P Zero k1 write up....... :confused:
200 miles a week thats some milage

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 05:05:50 pm »
Great car to do it in though.... :star:

I don't do it all year round I've got a week off this week, if you know what I mean
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 05:06:46 pm »
200 miles a week is about average, only 10,000 a year assumming at least two weeks not driving, (which is what most insurers base avergae car usage on 10-12k pa) I do on average 400 - 500 week i.e. 20k per annum!  :surprised:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 05:13:23 pm »
i fit tyres and the some tyes do come with the mo spec as the pirelli tyre come with either a for audi or j for jag on the tyres..they are a universal fit the cs3 are a good tyre but the Vredesteins Sessanta are better still

If your interested I've just ordered 2 x Vredsteins Sessantas for £209 delivered and according to the the reviews they are the dogs dangly's!

http://tyremen.myshopify.com/products/22540zr18-vredestein-sessanta?utm_source=google-product-search

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 05:19:18 pm »
Sean I was thinking about people's opinions regards the F1 Asy Vs PS3 etc. Hate on love the other etc.

I have the Auto Express "cough"  :ashamed: and the EVO December 2010 Tyre tests in front of me and the Contis do well in both tests.  The PS3 come second in the AE test.
Goodyears, of all flavours, are VASTLY over-rated.  Don't forget, all the usual sources of tests are done by commercial companies who rely 95% or so on ADVERTISING for their revenue.  They are all prone to favoring the company who spends the most on advertsing.  You only have to look at the constant GY adverts.

Why are the PS3 so much better in your opinion? ( apart from aquaplaning Vs PS2).
I'll deffer back to PS2 as being the 'best' tyre (yes, the PS3 has improved in certain areas over the PS2) - for my specific comments.  OK, the PS2 has more OEM manufacturer approvals than Continental (when considering like for like high performance tyres).  PS2s are factory fit on Audi RS4, Audi S4, (and many, many other Audis - high performance or normal models).  PS2s are factory fit on Porsches (where Porsche massively plays on the importance of handling of their cars).  PS2s are factory fit on the Bugatti Veyron.  PS2s are factory fit on the BMW M3 and M5 (along with all their M-sport cars).  PS2s are factory fit on most Mercs.  PS2s are factory fit on the hot-hot hatches from Reno, Ford, and a few others.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric has ZERO OEM approvals!

In everyday driving how much can you tell the difference with the premium brands? Or is it only when REALLY pressing on?
That all depends on what you are 'asking' of your tyres.

Tyre noise is a big issue - even driving at 50/60/70 on the M-way - certain tyres are far more noisy than others.  Dunlop and Continental are VERY noisey.  PS2 and GY F1 Asymm are middling.  The original directional Pilot Sport and the GY F1 GSD3 are fairly quiet.

Then there is tyre 'comfort'.  Continental are very harsh, as are Dunlop.  Michelin are generally quite comfortable, and at the extremely 'soggy' end are Pirelli.

And those are before you go into hard driving.  Even during normal cornering, differences can be felt - if you are mid corner, and you touch a manhole cover or a cats eye - Dunlops will step out sideways, whereas Mich and Pirelli wont.

I'm sure that Hurdy mentioned somewhere that he felt that there was very little difference between the Vreds and the GY F1 Asy......
Can't comment on that, appart from the Vred demo at GTI International a couple of years ago.  I was very underwhealmed by the Vreds.

The best, most impartial reviews are had at Which - unfortunately, they don't seem to test high performance tyres!
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 05:25:59 pm »
Thanks for that....

One thing that gets me, on my Dad's last two Boxsters one had PS2s fitted and the new one has Bridgestone RE050A fitted.
 Why do Porsche fit the Bridgestones as they seem to get poor reviews every where "they just succeed in feeling average"......
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 05:33:19 pm »
Thanks for that....

One thing that gets me, on my Dad's last two Boxsters one had PS2s fitted and the new one has Bridgestone RE050A fitted.
 Why do Porsche fit the Bridgestones as they seem to get poor reviews every where "they just succeed in feeling average"......

Boxster - not a real Porsche! :P  The Caymans come with a Heinz of tyres too.  Real Porks use PS2s (although you can factory spec CSC2/3s)
------