Make a donation

Author Topic: Wrong tyre advice.....Help  (Read 8735 times)

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Wrong tyre advice.....Help
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »
Thanks for that....

One thing that gets me, on my Dad's last two Boxsters one had PS2s fitted and the new one has Bridgestone RE050A fitted.
 Why do Porsche fit the Bridgestones as they seem to get poor reviews every where "they just succeed in feeling average"......

Boxster - not a real Porsche! :P  The Caymans come with a Heinz of tyres too.  Real Porks use PS2s (although you can factory spec CSC2/3s)

:happy2:  :P

Fun to drive though, you can really feel the difference in traction with it being mid engined. Especially when you go over a brow and the car goes light. Versus the GTI.

One other question, my fronts are down to the TWI and need changing, The rears are on 3- 4 mm. When do most people change their tyres?

Tyre performance is meant to drop off after 3.5mm, so I read some where.

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/tread_depth.asp

Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 05:51:33 pm »
One other question, my fronts are down to the TWI and need changing, The rears are on 3- 4 mm. When do most people change their tyres?

Tyre performance is meant to drop off after 3.5mm, so I read some where.

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/tread_depth.asp
It all depends on the type of tyre, especially the tread pattern.  The PS2s and CSC2s will happily run fine on wet roads down to the TWI.  But directional tyres like the original Pilot Sport, the GSD3, Dunflop ShyteMaxx, Yokohama AVS Sport, and probably those Vred Sessentas (or whatever the Spliff smoking Dutch like to call them) - will all aquaplane on wet roads around the 3-4mm mark.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 11:38:44 pm »
Just out of interest, why can't you run Porsche N tyres on anything but a Porsche?

I ask, as I used to run Pilot Sport Cups off the front of a GT3 RS on my track OZs.
Sideways yo!

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 11:45:00 pm »
One quick question the load rating on track tyres like the R1R and Kuhmo V70a are 88 instead of 92 could there be issues with regard to insurance because there not extra load tyres?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 08:56:16 am »
Just out of interest, why can't you run Porsche N tyres on anything but a Porsche?
I've never really got a definative answer - but 'unofficially', weight distribution (engine way south of the rear axle), and that Porsche want a very specific performance profile from their tyres.

I had the misfortune of having some N rated PS2s fitted to my old S4 a few years ago - they gripped well  :happy2: - but were shagged after about a 1000 miles due to not being able to take the load of the S4 V8 lump - basically worn the shoulders through to the canvass! :stupid:  Very long story, but it was all down to the lies and utter incompetence of GreenFlag :fighting: :fighting2: - I had to get Michelin head office in France involved, who sorted everything.  :happy2:

I ask, as I used to run Pilot Sport Cups off the front of a GT3 RS on my track OZs.
I think when used on a track, many rules go out the window. :wink:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 09:02:52 am »
One quick question the load rating on track tyres like the R1R and Kuhmo V70a are 88 instead of 92 could there be issues with regard to insurance because there not extra load tyres?
Yes - you wont be insured.  Even if you have specific track insurance - I'd reckon that there is some small print somewhere sommat like 'your car must be fit for purpose'.  You would need to prove to the insurance company that you had taken the necessary weight reduction measures to comply with the lower weight rating of the tyres.
------

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:48 am »
Thanks for that....

One thing that gets me, on my Dad's last two Boxsters one had PS2s fitted and the new one has Bridgestone RE050A fitted.
 Why do Porsche fit the Bridgestones as they seem to get poor reviews every where "they just succeed in feeling average"......

Boxster - not a real Porsche! :P  The Caymans come with a Heinz of tyres too.  Real Porks use PS2s (although you can factory spec CSC2/3s)

real Porsche........ :grin:

Cayman S upsetting Real Porsche drivers............. :wink: :wink: :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:21 am »
Thanks for that....

And RS4 drivers upsetting Cayman S drivers!  :P
------

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 10:15:52 am »
:indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:
 :popcornsoda:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 10:46:00 am »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 12:29:05 pm »
------

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »
Thanks for that....

And Edition 30 drivers upsetting RS4 drivers :P

:popcornsoda: :signLOL:
Golf R gone.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 01:05:39 pm »
Thanks for that....

And Edition 30 drivers upsetting RS4 drivers :P

:popcornsoda: :signLOL:
Not standard Eddies! :booty:
------

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 02:17:59 pm »
Thanks for the advice folks.
Went for the Vredesteins in the end. Apart from the last two sets of F1 Asy (and the Conti SC2s that came with the car) I have always bought Michelin. Looking at the number of good reviews and comments that I have read here and elsewhere I thought that I would give them a chance. Will have to see how they turn out. Can always go back to Michelin if I don't like them.  :scared:
Managed to get a pair for £210 fitted at a local independent tyre fitters.

The amount of phone calls that guy took enquiring about winter/snow tyres was unbelievable!  :jumping:

Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 04:10:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice folks.

The amount of phone calls that guy took enquiring about winter/snow tyres was unbelievable!  :jumping:

most of my phone calls at work are now for snow tyres,guess people don't want to get caught out like last year