Thanks

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Remap
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:50:58 pm »
i wouldnt worry about torque mate, the std GTI doesnt come close to maxing out the engine or gear box.  internals are good for 350Hp, the gearbox on hurdys and many others have been pushing in excess of 400ibft with no issues apart  from clutch wear.

stage 1 map should see youat 240hp/270Ibft.  maxed out on stad turbo, the GTI will hit 270-280Hp/300ibft.  add the ed30 turbo and >360hp/360ibft.  so your are well within the limits :happy2:

Offline Sparky1

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:34:48 pm »
Thanks for reply. Also does additional power have any effect on the clutch
And I've something a bout the diverted valve? ( I'm not mechanically minded

Cheers

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:51:22 pm »
It can shorten the life of the clutch yes, but unless your car has had a very hard life up to now I wouldnt worry.  Diverter valve or 'dump valve' can be replaced fot the Revision D (piston type), as the original one has a tendancy to puncture due to increased boost pressure.  Get one from a dealer for about 50 quid.
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:40:56 pm »
the clutch is the only issue you here about tbh.  mine was fine after 32000 miles of being driven hard and being mapped.

orthers havent been so lucky, its all dependant how the gears have been used, for instance using high gears from low RPM can cause slip

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:30:37 am »
I was exactly the same as you when I first bought my 05 plate GTI. Eventually I got it done and haven't looked back but I would deinitely budget for the revision D diverter valve to be fitted at the same time. If its not already cracked or split at that age I'd be surprised judging from the state of mine at a similar age.

If I were in your shoes again, and having the experience of the remap I do it asap every time. The car is really transformed in to something much, much better mate.

Offline Sparky1

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:02:05 am »
Thanks for all the info. So if I drive car normally for 90% of the time
And with a heavy right foot 10% of the time everything should be ok?
Regarding diverter valve I live in the south east does anyone know of anywhere that supplies and fits them

Cheers

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:43:32 am »
You can order the part from and dealers mate. Use the search feature for revision D and there's plenty of old threads with the part number on if needed. You can get them to got it or do like I did and use a local garage to fit it for about £30. Alternatively you can fit it yourself if you have the right tools. Use the search again and you should find a few guides on how to fit it.
 I would suspect you'll be fine with the remap but there is always that slight risk. If your like me you just need somebody to say it'll all be ok before you go ahead. The map will basically bring out any weak points. For example if you clutch has say, 2000 miles worth of life left then the map will reduce that to say 1000.
 For that reason I bought the bluefin device. Partly because its slightly less potent than say the revo but also because I could revert back to stock if the clutch started to slip.

It'll all be fine anyway so just go get it bought  :grin: