Make a donation

Author Topic: Big brakes or Not  (Read 12675 times)

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
Re: Big brakes or Not
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 07:11:16 pm »
I've searched for RS4 B5 brakes on ebay and the prices seem pretty high, not to mention I couldn't find the "Audi exclusive" lighter drilled discs but only the plain ones ! What would be a correct price for such a kit on second-hand ? (calipers, carriers, discs, pads, bolts, lines, splash shields...)
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 03:37:41 pm »
k, just found some RS4 B5 brakes with standard discs (not drilled) and pad. The set has about 10.000km wich is not much. Is the caliper bolt-on to mk5 with no other mod ? (like custom carrier or something)

What do you think about 450Euro for this setup ?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 04:51:40 pm »
I will direct DaveB to this thread when he next appears, he is the chap who got me the kit and made it fit.

I will try and explain the fitting but will probably just confuse myself and you. When fitting the Audi discs there is nothing to hold it onto the hub other than the wheel bolts. I wasn't happy about this so he came up with the idea of a screw that goes through the disc into the hub and a shim that keeps the disc centred, it was a pretty simple fix But Dave would be able to explain it better than me.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:18:42 pm by Top Cat »

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 05:40:20 pm »
Ok, thanks. I sent him some PMs myself but he doesn't seem to be around in the last days !

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 06:43:46 pm »
Sorry been away with the smelly cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Fuscobal

If you're looking at the B5 RS4 kit over on audi-sport.net get them bought quick - Im seriously thinking about buying them myself.

You'll need conversion shims, 3mm longer carrier mounting bolts (OEM), spiggot rings and expanding collets for mounting the discs. Its sound engineering that we were lucky enough to have another look at recently to check it over again and it works really well.

The whole kit complete for mounting is £100........ each item is machined individually.

You'll also need some different hoses - £45

And some Mk5 R32 disc shields - £10

Get them bought mate

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 07:10:49 pm »
Hello Dave,

I've actually found these on ebay, not audi-sport.net (don't have an account there and don't know if it's the same seller). Dave, can you also please respond to my PM regarding the R32 rears ? :)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »
audi RS4 B7 360mm twin pots can be had for £750 all in if you speak to the man in the know........he'll be along shortly. they'll be substantially stronger than R32 brakes for sure
Huh - I think you may have your wires crossed.  The B7 RS4 (with the standard 360mm iron discs) have 8 pot calipers up front, and single pot rears.  The B5 RS4 also had 8 pots up front.

The only Audis I can think of with those 2 pot calipers was the B5 S4.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 02:05:36 pm »
Hi Sean

B5 RS4 had the same caliper as the MK4 R32 2 x 43mm pistons, if you look at page 2 on here you'll see a promo Audi pic for the competition pads and discs that are available and shown on ETKA. You paid double and got drilled discs instead of plain and some thinly disguised RS19/29's which had an Audi part number.

RS4's  ----   B7 8 pots 365mm disc - B5 2 pots 360mm disc

Its a handy setup for those that need some more stopping but have restrictive rimmage that wont allow opposed piston calipers.

B5 S4 had two pot lucas calipers on 323mm discs from memory, you'll remember these were the ones with 4 "triangular" style pads per corner, you'll also probably remember that they weigh a bloody ton and after 2003 they changed it to a iron housing and an ali frame to slim them down a bit

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 02:25:52 pm »
Hi Sean

B5 RS4 had the same caliper as the MK4 R32 2 x 43mm pistons, if you look at page 2 on here you'll see a promo Audi pic for the competition pads and discs that are available and shown on ETKA. You paid double and got drilled discs instead of plain and some thinly disguised RS19/29's which had an Audi part number.

RS4's  ----   B7 8 pots 365mm disc - B5 2 pots 360mm disc
Ahhhh - me getting confused.  It was the C5 RS6 with the 8 pot Brembos.  Maybe those were retro-fitted to B5 RS4s????

Its a handy setup for those that need some more stopping but have restrictive rimmage that wont allow opposed piston calipers.
Righty :happy2:  So who made those two-poters?  And how rigid are the sliding pins?  And will they fit under 18" Monza IIs ?  :wink:

B5 S4 had two pot lucas calipers on 323mm discs from memory, you'll remember these were the ones with 4 "triangular" style pads per corner, you'll also probably remember that they weigh a bloody ton and after 2003 they changed it to a iron housing and an ali frame to slim them down a bit
That's right - Lucas calipers - not very popular design!  :sick:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~