Make a donation

Author Topic: do larger tyres last longer??  (Read 2559 times)

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
do larger tyres last longer??
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:37:20 am »
i was just intrested to no if this is true or not, i can see it could be as a larger tyre would have a larger rolling radius so each part of the tyre should spend less time in contact with the road?

just wanted to no your thoughts on this

tom :)

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: do larger tyres last longer??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:43:30 am »
If you are replacing 17" wheels with 18" wheels then the tyre will need to have a lower profile, as you need to maintain the rolling radius to keep the speedo figure correct.  So if you are inching up correctly the rolling radius should not be affected as you stated.  Hope that makes sense.  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:51:04 pm »
Rich is correct.  However, if you fit wider tyres, everything else being equal, they will last longer.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:34:47 pm »
Rich is correct.  However, if you fit wider tyres, everything else being equal, they will last longer.

Shaun, is this down to the forces (acceleration, braking and turning) which would remain constant being transferred through a larger contact area and therefore reducing the specific force per cm squared? and therefore reducing the rate of tire degradation?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:38:31 pm »

Shaun, is this down to the forces (acceleration, braking and turning) which would remain constant being transferred through a larger contact area and therefore reducing the specific force per cm squared? and therefore reducing the rate of tire degradation?
Basically, yes.  :happy2:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:44:17 pm »

Basically, yes.  :happy2:

Cheers that was based on my logic which is sometimes flawed!!!!  :rolleye: