Make a donation

Author Topic: How fast are mapped 330d's  (Read 18099 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: How fast are mapped 330d's
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 09:32:34 pm »
You didnt get owned my a derv did ya Pov :ashamed: :signLOL:

Hahaha no chance!

Read this and got me wondering!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110102729224/bmw-to-supply-more-police-cars-in-the-uk

....So, are you thinking of trying to outpace them and getaway!?  There ain't no hiding place - Those days are long gone  :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 10:57:03 pm »
You didnt get owned my a derv did ya Pov :ashamed: :signLOL:

Hahaha no chance!

Read this and got me wondering!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110102729224/bmw-to-supply-more-police-cars-in-the-uk

....So, are you thinking of trying to outpace them and getaway!?  There ain't no hiding place - Those days are long gone  :evilgrin:

Well obviously they must be replacing the evos and scoobies, so just wanted to see how they compare cause tbh Im not convinced that they are up to the job as an interceptor car.

Cant say I could see a 330d with a map, and laden with the usual crap keeping up with a modified k04 or TTRS in a straightline once you get to motorway speeds, and the beemer wouldnt know which way the TT went if say the pursuit was laden with roundabouts, twisties, or in the wet.

Scoobies and evos though would.

A 335d would be a much better car for interceptor work as they can do 13s down the strip once fettled.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 12:31:36 am »

Cant say I could see a 330d with a map, and laden with the usual crap keeping up with a modified k04 or TTRS in a straightline once you get to motorway speeds, and the beemer wouldnt know which way the TT went if say the pursuit was laden with roundabouts, twisties, or in the wet.

Scoobies and evos though would.

A 335d would be a much better car for interceptor work as they can do 13s down the strip once fettled.

....Pursuits can easily involve more than one car and even a helicopter. That's quite apart from the fact that the police pursuiter's driving skills will be waaaay better than most crims let alone just a member of the public.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Thestig1973

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 09:06:14 am »
I used to have a 330d (E46), X reg so it was 184 BHP as standard, Chipped uk remapped it to 235 BHP but the torque was amazing, and still upto 50 MPG !
The newer 330d was 231 BHP as standard

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 09:17:47 am »

Just an extra turbo to go pop on those!

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 10:45:02 am »
You'd be surprised. The 330d handles like a dream and is more than capable of keeping up with any (standard) golf in the twisties. I'm never driven the TTRS but the 330d is miles better in corners than any of the mk1 TT's  for sure.
Especially if it is pi$$ing it down!  :evilgrin:
What is it with people thinking BMW's are no good in the wet???

Everyone still talks as though once it starts raining, you can't take a BMW out in the wet. I'm on my 4th 330d now (3 E46's and 1 E92) and can honestly say they are better in the wet than a mk5 GTI. They all have DSC so you'll only get the back end out if you turn it off. Otherwise they are as composed, safe and fast as anything else on the road. My old bug eyed WRX was worse in the wet than any of my BMW's. I had a couple of hairy roundabout brown trouser moments in the Scooby, but not one in the BMW, even driving in the slush at 80mph.

I reckon anyone that complains about BMW's in the wet has either never driven one or can't drive for sh1t!

/rant over!

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 11:13:30 am »
You'd be surprised. The 330d handles like a dream and is more than capable of keeping up with any (standard) golf in the twisties. I'm never driven the TTRS but the 330d is miles better in corners than any of the mk1 TT's  for sure.
Especially if it is pi$$ing it down!  :evilgrin:

Everyone still talks as though once it starts raining, you can't take a BMW out in the wet. I'm on my 4th 330d now (3 E46's and 1 E92) and can honestly say they are better in the wet than a mk5 GTI. They all have DSC so you'll only get the back end out if you turn it off. Otherwise they are as composed, safe and fast as anything else on the road. My old bug eyed WRX was worse in the wet than any of my BMW's. I had a couple of hairy roundabout brown trouser moments in the Scooby, but not one in the BMW, even driving in the slush at 80mph.

I reckon anyone that complains about BMW's in the wet has either never driven one or can't drive for sh1t!

/rant over!

Can't see a rep mobile being quicker through the twisties than the TTRS  :signLOL:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 11:24:04 am »

Everyone still talks as though once it starts raining, you can't take a BMW out in the wet.

....I had my BMW nearly 90 degrees sideways once and got her back... just!! Hurt a finger though, but not badly. BMW's handle very well imo.

Anyroadup, trained Police drivers should not be underestimated.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 11:30:25 am by RedRobin »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 11:29:15 am »
I have owned a 330d, it was quick, but not any quicker than say a mapped Mk5 GTi, just a nice flat torque delivery and lots of it.

What people fail to realise is that a 3 series is a different car completely to most hatchbacks, its a purpose made RWD sports car and with the right driver it can outpace most things, not by its power but its balance, handling and braking.

I replaced it for a 335d, which is 10x better than the 330d, this will outpace and outhandle most things, depending on who is driving it. People whoc complain about RWD + WET are just not capable of driving the car properly  :P

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 11:31:12 am »
Can't see a rep mobile being quicker through the twisties than the TTRS  :signLOL:
Maybe not, but where would you stop at that argument? If the police get TTRS's someone would say "I can't see TTRS keeping up with a Lambo"

The Police aren't getting 330d's because they're the fastest thing around. They'll be getting them because they're quick, reliable, handle well, have plenty of space for all the kit, they're safe and comfortable for long drives.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 11:32:11 am »
People whoc complain about RWD + WET are just not capable of driving the car properly  :P
I completely agree with you 100%  :happy2:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 01:03:59 pm »
I have owned a 330d, it was quick, but not any quicker than say a mapped Mk5 GTi, just a nice flat torque delivery and lots of it.

What people fail to realise is that a 3 series is a different car completely to most hatchbacks, its a purpose made RWD sports car and with the right driver it can outpace most things, not by its power but its balance, handling and braking.

I replaced it for a 335d, which is 10x better than the 330d, this will outpace and outhandle most things, depending on who is driving it. People whoc complain about RWD + WET are just not capable of driving the car properly  :P
330d purpose built rwd sports car? outpace most things?  not sure would agree there mate, all bmws are good cars at what they do, only the m cars are purpose built sports cars though. dont get me wrong i want a 135i next, but even them are not known to be the best in terms of handling.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 01:32:36 pm »
^^ i would agree with that, after having a e90 320 as a higher car for a couple of weeks the last thing I would call it is a purpose built sport car, the words comfy, sedate and handles like a boat come to mind

nice if you like doing motorway miles though  :happy2:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 01:51:42 pm »
^^ i would agree with that, after having a e90 320 as a higher car for a couple of weeks the last thing I would call it is a purpose built sport car, the words comfy, sedate and handles like a boat come to mind

nice if you like doing motorway miles though  :happy2:

Well, I've gone from GTi Edition 30 to Z4M to 320d M Sport coupe .... and I would hardly describe my 320d as sedate and handling like a boat. 

Yes, it's power is nothing compared to the other cars I have owned but it's OK (and about to be mapped   :evilgrin:) and the handling is what I found fun - more fun than my Edition 30 .... but then I am very, very used to RWD  :laugh:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 02:16:25 pm »
fun is different to great handling.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no