Make a donation

Author Topic: How fast are mapped 330d's  (Read 18088 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: How fast are mapped 330d's
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »

fun is different to great handling.

....Yes, "fun" usually means a bit of arse action (I'm referring to cars).

Didn't Renault do a rather nice ad campaign in which lots of lovely ladies were shaking there arses?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 05:14:21 pm »
I have owned a 330d, it was quick, but not any quicker than say a mapped Mk5 GTi, just a nice flat torque delivery and lots of it.

What people fail to realise is that a 3 series is a different car completely to most hatchbacks, its a purpose made RWD sports car and with the right driver it can outpace most things, not by its power but its balance, handling and braking.

I replaced it for a 335d, which is 10x better than the 330d, this will outpace and outhandle most things, depending on who is driving it. People whoc complain about RWD + WET are just not capable of driving the car properly  :P
330d purpose built rwd sports car? outpace most things?  not sure would agree there mate, all bmws are good cars at what they do, only the m cars are purpose built sports cars though. dont get me wrong i want a 135i next, but even them are not known to be the best in terms of handling.

The 330d  Msport was purpose built with vastly different suspension and brakes to the rest of the 3 series line up, what i mean by purpose built is that there was very little compromise, they didnt just recycle a pre made chassis like VAG do with a vast array of engines and body models.

I never mentioned that a 330d would outpace most things, i said the 335d, which is an extremely capable car. Mine will easily pull away from a mates new shape impreza sti and will stay with it easily through bends (in the dry) and once up to 50 mph most fwd hothatches dont come close. Its by no mean an M3 in the bends and for the thrill factor but straight line pace theres not much in it.

Yes its comfy and quiet but by no means boaty.Its economical and seriously quick, but thats not what everyone likes

I am also looking at the 135i for next year, but not 100% convinced yet, need to talk a customer into letting me have theirs for a weekend to test it 'properly'  :wink:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 05:25:01 pm »

Didn't Renault do a rather nice ad campaign in which lots of lovely ladies were shaking there arses?
think that was due to the weird shape of megs rear end, bit random that red
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 05:35:31 pm »
why we comparing 330d and 335i :confused:

Taxi...  :ashamed: I meant 335d, sorry dide..  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »

....Yeah, that's the one! It wouldn't be me if I wasn't a bit random at times  :grin:  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »

....Yeah, that's the one! It wouldn't be me if I wasn't a bit random at times  :grin:  :happy2:
:signLOL:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 08:53:47 pm »
I really rate the 330d having owned a well sorted Edition 30....as a road car!

As track cars both the Edition 30 and E90 are compromised by weight issues and need large expenditure....like most modern cars...more BHP and bigger brakes to stop the blighters.

Both the MK5 and E90 have thoroughly good chassis and like S08 I have experience of the BMW's at work and home.

I now use my infamous MK2 16V which will be featured in VW Driver in due course having been in the mag a few years ago....it is a proper 200 bhp old school Tim Stiles built car of the Slick 50 era but looks like a super 1990 big bumper car

Here's a picture of us last Friday at Combe

http://combetrackday291010.fotopic.net/p67881871.html

The 335 is massively quick when mapped but for me I love light weight natually aspirated for track and the bemma makes a lovely family car that's cheap on fuel.

There was a stripped out Z3M on intermediates which very quick and light.

I'd not go down the turbo route again for track use....too many reliabilty and heat issues TBH.h
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:56:56 pm by Msportman »
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.