Make a donation

Author Topic: police nowt better to do  (Read 11231 times)

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
Re: police nowt better to do
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 08:55:15 am »
as above, dont touch front as most have factory tint, as for plate!!! i hate when people mess about with private plates to make em look better,its illegal and you knew it so stop moaning.
:grin: :grin:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 10:09:58 am »
I was going to get new plates and leave out the space LT55TNN had a kind of symmetry...but to be honest the way Strathclyde's finest are these days I will just not bother...its certainly not worth the risk...you definately see some mad loons really mess with their plates though, I would book them myself...only cos they are chav looking...  :laugh:

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
I would book them myself...only cos they are chav looking...  :laugh:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me  :grin:

If I was in power a number of new offences relating to motor vehicles and their owners would be created  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 10:38:30 am »

get yourself a nice bright interior and you wont want to tint the windows  :signLOL:

....Off topic for just a moment but what's the story behing this stunning interior?  :drool:

The only thing I don't like is the use of an Audi badged wheel on a GTI, but otherwise it's a thing of beauty!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MR02LOW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Ironkilla Gym Apparel
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9122.0.html
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 11:30:38 am »
Thats mine Mr Robin  :happy2:

check build thread for more pics and a bit more story  :wink:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 11:51:11 am »
I believe that illegal plates sometimes work better than legal. The issue comes when you start trying to make characters look like something different, like when people mover letters extremely close together or use the screw caps to add/mask part of a letter. The whole idea is to make it legible to other people should you drive away after an accident or something yet making the plate look more like a word or name makes it more memorable to most people which is surely beneficial?
 Unfortunately the law is what it is and you can't blame the boys in blue for doing there job can you. If you do the crime, you do the time....or pay the ticket at least.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gv7chrieuiag81s09mes9l2fs3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 12:07:03 pm »
Robin... are you thinking of getting a full Red Leather interior retrim??  :evilgrin:

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 12:33:28 pm »
Police cannot win nowadays. If they ticket people they are moaned at for having nothing better to do (despite it being there job) And if they ignore it, then it looks bad, and people start moaning that the police don't give the service the person expects.

If you run a modified number plate, no matter how minor it is, then you need to expect to one day be pulled over, Police do have powers of discretion with motoring offences, but I have seen people continually take the pi$$ until a fine is handed to them, that is the only way to teach people, as education doesn't work most of the time, and then it is a waste of mine and your time.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 12:50:56 pm »

Robin... are you thinking of getting a full Red Leather interior retrim??  :evilgrin:

.... :laugh:

Definitely not! I don't like leather seats in cars for myself - I can appreciate a fine looking interior though. Cloth or alacantara(?) for me.  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 01:03:54 pm »
I think nowadays EVERYONE knows the fact that you CANNOT get a number plate made, without showing your docs and having ALL the numbers spaced and sized correctly.

If the plate is made another way, then they are for "show use only" and the place that made them will have stated this. Also they will make them without you producing your documents.

Unless you have been living in a cave all your life, then most people should know these rules.

Also most people know about tinting the front windows. I understand that you didn't, and I think I would be pretty pi$$ed off with the dealer if my sister/mum/gran etc bought a car from them and was then pulled up by the police for the car being illegal.

However, I firmly believe the police would have just given a warning for the tints.

The fact that your plate was illegal WAS prob the deciding factor of your fine IMHO.  :wink:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 03:02:06 pm »
Not everyone is aware of the rules and regulations. People who are part of car owners' clubs and forums would be expected to know but those who see a car as a tool to use to get to/from work may well be uninformed.

I heard of one girl who bought a car recently, was involved in an accident and was investigated. It transpired that the car had an aftermarket air filter (but otherwise standard). She was unaware of this, had not been informed of any mods when she bought the car and hence didn't declare it. Got screwed over by insurance. Yet how was she to know?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 03:20:06 pm »
@OP:

Grammar. Use it.

Not everyone is aware of the rules and regulations. People who are part of car owners' clubs and forums would be expected to know but those who see a car as a tool to use to get to/from work may well be uninformed.

I heard of one girl who bought a car recently, was involved in an accident and was investigated. It transpired that the car had an aftermarket air filter (but otherwise standard). She was unaware of this, had not been informed of any mods when she bought the car and hence didn't declare it. Got screwed over by insurance. Yet how was she to know?

Surely she should be aware of what is on her motor vehicle? Ignorance is not an excuse, pleading it is just laziness.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 03:23:05 pm »
Surely she should be aware of what is on her motor vehicle? Ignorance is not an excuse, pleading it is just laziness.
But my question is how would you know?

If you bought a car, the seller said it was standard and unmodified, and you bought it, would you then check every single component, nut, bolt and screw to make sure it was all OEM? Remember, this is a girl who probably didn't even bother checking the oil/coolant/washer/brake fluids levels up on a regular basis.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2010, 03:28:53 pm »
But my question is how would you know?

If you bought a car, the seller said it was standard and unmodified, and you bought it, would you then check every single component, nut, bolt and screw to make sure it was all OEM? Remember, this is a girl who probably didn't even bother checking the oil/coolant/washer/brake fluids levels up on a regular basis.
She should have fought the insurance company.  Regulation of UK insurance (all types - cars, house, health, etc) is based on reasonable and/or forseable knowledge.  Because she wasn't told about any mods, and probably didn't ask - then the ins co cant deny the claim.  So in respect of insurance, ignorance does pay.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 04:48:47 pm »
This post turned a little sour at points lol, I think the OP has had enough ear bashing for one day! Lesson learnt! I did always wonder about the not knowing if the car was standard or not as my mrs wouldn't know If a car was lowered or different alloys or an airfilter hidden/ different brake pads, disks. There is a whole host of things that you can change and not even know about!