Make a donation

Author Topic: police nowt better to do  (Read 11244 times)

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: police nowt better to do
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 08:59:31 pm »
i never gave it a second thought  so the dealer motd my car with the tints  is that not ilegal   the police said that the tint was ilegal not the dealers
Sig to big.

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »
The tints should always get you a ticket .... via a Tintman device .... the number plate you may have got a warning for .... but for both no chance.  

Dodgy tints are dangerous.  The officers won't know whether they were on the car when you bought it or not ... loads of people say they were on the car when they bought it .... but I have to say I would think maybe not if I saw the number plate as well ..... not saying that is right, just giving you the view of someone who used to be able to give out said tickets and knows how to use Tintman  :wink:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 09:08:40 pm »
i never gave it a second thought  so the dealer motd my car with the tints  is that not ilegal
IF you are 100% certain that the stealer knowingly MoT'd the car with said illegal tints - then you need to report them to VOSA.

However, as others have said - it is the DRIVER of the car who is responsible for ensuring full compliance with the law.  There have been hundreds, probably thousands of 'Police-type' programmes on the telly - many of which repeatedly state it is the drivers responsibility - so unless your name is Fred Flintstone, and you live in a cave, you can't really claim ignorance.

You just need to take it on the chin mate, and chalk it down to experience.  :smiley:

the police said that the tint was ilegal not the dealers
That is because the Police are responsible for upholding the law, not the stealers.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 09:27:26 pm »
@ divweir:

Hmm, if you came across to the police who stopped you with the same attitude you started off with in this thread (further confirmed by your topic title) it's no suprise you got booked rather than warned.

I find it too difficult to believe that you were as ignorant as you claim regarding both tints and number plate. Fess up, you chanced your luck but got caught out - It was bound to happen one day.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 09:48:22 pm »
it was the wife who got stopped fair enough on the plates but genuinely did not no the tints were to dark  as i got it from the vw dealers  i know it may be ignorant on my side but i think the dealers should at least remove tints and pay the 30£ fine  i would not buy a car if i was told there was something ilegal on the car  i have to go and see them tomorow  well the wife has  just hope she dont get stopped again   cause im getting the greef for it lol
Sig to big.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 09:55:32 pm »
i think the dealers should at least remove tints and pay the 30£ fine
Fair point - and if they don't - then do as I said in an earlier post - speak to VOSA about the dealers MoT licence, and ask why the dealer is giving MoTs on unroadworthy cars.  That will soon focus the mind of the stealer, and persuade them to get their cheque book out.

And whilst at the dealer, get THEM to remove the tint film.

i would not buy a car if i was told there was something ilegal on the car
Again, fairy nuff - but have you ever heard the phrase "buyer beware"?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 10:34:38 pm »
Where does the forum name come from out of interest?

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 11:01:12 pm »
Cynical me thinks.........*Police trying to pay for the forthcoming cutbacks!  :evilgrin:*

Round my area they do seem to be starting to crack down on motorists again, and tbh I think they are doing the same.

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 11:21:36 pm »
 yes mate had a meter  great timing just when my insurance is due

Your insurance should go down when you tell them you have taken one of the modifications off :smiley:  You'll probably find that the cost of the fine will be offset by the reduction in insurance for not having tinted windows :smiley:  I'm assuming your insurance company do know about them?

FOR SALE!

Offline s4lek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 12:40:25 am »
hi , did you also put the illegal plates on after the mot or before , because my car failed its mot on just the number plates.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 05:58:47 am »
My sympathies to the OP, I can only say that yes I have noticed an increased presence in the Stathclyde area over the past few months. It seems I cannot go 5 miles without seeing a police car stopped at the side of the road interrogating a driver over some or other misdemeanour.

Only yesterday I was sitting in traffic when the car in front decided to take a filter lane left, to do so he committed the heinous crime of entering a bus lane 25 yards earlier than he should have. You would have thought Osama Bin Lorry had been found in Glasgow! Two bikes swept from nowhere and cornered the bloke, no doubt another 3 points and £60 fixed penalty. There is no measure or friendly warning you do wrong these days they will just book you.

I won't rant for or against the police publicly but I do think, in my area recently they are showing an increased presence and a renewed enthusiasm for their jobs. I just hope it leads to safer roads  :wink:

Offline MR02LOW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Ironkilla Gym Apparel
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9122.0.html
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 07:48:41 am »
im definatly not one to preach mate

BUT.... tbh it doesn't matter what you say they did this, i did that??, you know your plates are wrong just from what you have posted on here??? as for the windows if there is tint film on your drivers pair then your done! factory tint is 25% a film over the top will obviously make it darker, with things like this your and easy cash cow for them, i know as im speaking from a lot of experience of this exact same thing with my previous car, you take your chance buy running like this and its just a matter of time before you get stopped.

sorry to sound like a grumpy git  :ashamed:

the police will ALWAYS win, learn from this mate and put it down as experience :happy2:

get yourself a nice bright interior and you wont want to tint the windows  :signLOL:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 07:54:31 am »
Is checking light thru front windows part of the MOT test???

Like does all MOT stations have a Tintman device??

Offline MR02LOW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Ironkilla Gym Apparel
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9122.0.html
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 08:20:14 am »
No mate, its not part of the MOT so it has no relevancy to his argument

god i sound like a to55er today....

sorry!!  :ashamed:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 08:41:05 am »
as above, dont touch front as most have factory tint, as for plate!!! i hate when people mess about with private plates to make em look better,its illegal and you knew it so stop moaning.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no