yes  ilegal
2 (3.2%)
ilegal but i will take the chance anyway
8 (12.7%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: November 02, 2010, 08:59:37 pm

Author Topic: ilegal plates on you mk5 gti  (Read 16414 times)

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
Re: ilegal plates on you mk5 gti
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 03:35:43 pm »
 :indifferent:

Cant see why people on here are getting in a huff over it. Its the guys registration to do what he wants. He knows he's spaced it illegally and for that he will take the fine.

You could say many peolple on here are stupid for spending all the money on the cars they have, but again its their's to do what they want......each to their own!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:58:35 pm by G4V VW »

gaz b

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 03:59:49 pm »

When I was younger my plate read A11Y SB. Now it reads A11 YSB and has done for a few years now. I certainly don't want to give the police any excuse to stop me.  :driver:

Cracking debate too chaps. :drinking:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 04:17:38 pm »

Cant see why people on here are getting in a huff over it. Its the guys registration to do what he wants. He knows he's spaced it illegally and for that he will take the fine.

I think there is a suspicion that he's seeking sympathy, that we're all going to say "bad luck" and join in insulting the Police.

If I got caught knowingly doing something illegal I wouldn't bother going to a website and moaning about it.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 04:23:01 pm »

I think there is a suspicion that he's seeking sympathy, that we're all going to say "bad luck" and join in insulting the Police.

If I got caught knowingly doing something illegal I wouldn't bother going to a website and moaning about it.

Fair point pal, yes ur right i wouldnt put it on here either  :smiley:

Offline BenR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 04:43:29 pm »

You could say many peolple on here are stupid for spending all the money on the cars they have, but again its their's to do what they want......each to their own!!

Well said mate....its his plate he can do as he pleases and just risk getting fined!

My plate has been illegal on every car I have owned not been fined for it for 4 years until 2 weeks ago.  Been pulled countless times in my golf for no reason just random checks and because I apparently look too young to be driving a GTi  :signLOL: they have never batted an eyelid until now, I wasn't bothered about the fine as I knew it was going to come sometime but it's only a fine so  no big deal!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »

Well said mate....its his plate he can do as he pleases and just risk getting fined!

My plate has been illegal on every car I have owned not been fined for it for 4 years until 2 weeks ago.  Been pulled countless times in my golf for no reason just random checks and because I apparently look too young to be driving a GTi  :signLOL: they have never batted an eyelid until now, I wasn't bothered about the fine as I knew it was going to come sometime but it's only a fine so  no big deal!

....Well, technically I think you'll find that although the physical plate is yours materially, the rest isn't. It's just a visible (emphasis on visible) proof of a registration granted to you by the DVLA and also used for identification (in your best interests too).

Okay, you don't agree with the laws about number plates, but it's no big deal and it's common sense not to break these particular laws. In fact, I'd go as far as suggesting it's a bit stupid to break licence plate laws - You have to ask yourself if it's worth it. How many fines will it take before you see reality?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:07:50 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 05:05:47 pm »
When I had my private plate on the ED30 it was bought through an internet company before the rules changed.

Even though the fonts were correct, the  carbon mouldings were subsequently made illegal as were the ghostings. Some people could buy a car with these on and not even know that they are illegal.

I was never stopped, but always had the proof of purchase saying legal plates from the site I bought the plates off in the glove compartment. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 05:23:26 pm »
Fully legal. Not got a lot of choice. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 05:44:50 pm »

Yeh but spending loads of money on your car isnt illegal last time i checked, bit of a difference dont you think :stupid:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 05:54:00 pm »
Have to disagree RR. I purchased the registration plate direct from the DVLA. My registration did not exist until i made it up and bought it.

Your right i own the plate but i also own the Registration (numbers and letters in the sequence/order they are) No one else can have or use this registration (legally) without me selling or giving it to them.

I do agree with the number plate laws and have never said i dont, and i must say i hate seeing chavved up number plates where you cannot read them because the font is that bad. However if the font and size of letters and numbers are correct and all you have done is moved a number or letter over whats the problem. Why should it matter to anyone else (bar the law) Its hardly going to kill someone. But yes its is illegal but then the person involved takes the fine. So what if they get fined 400 times, they are the ones that have got to pay.

We must remember here we all break the law in one way another more than likely every day, maybe going that 1mph over the limit, but its still breaking the law. Petty i know and so is moaning about someone who has mis spaced his letters/number, as said hes not gonna kill anyone with that...speeding may do!!

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 05:55:20 pm »

Yeh but spending loads of money on your car isnt illegal last time i checked, bit of a difference dont you think :stupid:

:angry015:  depends what you do to it!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 06:08:33 pm »
Have to disagree RR. I purchased the registration plate direct from the DVLA. My registration did not exist until i made it up and bought it.

Your right i own the plate but i also own the Registration (numbers and letters in the sequence/order they are) No one else can have or use this registration (legally) without me selling or giving it to them.

I do agree with the number plate laws and have never said i dont, and i must say i hate seeing chavved up number plates where you cannot read them because the font is that bad. However if the font and size of letters and numbers are correct and all you have done is moved a number or letter over whats the problem. Why should it matter to anyone else (bar the law) Its hardly going to kill someone. But yes its is illegal but then the person involved takes the fine. So what if they get fined 400 times, they are the ones that have got to pay.

We must remember here we all break the law in one way another more than likely every day, maybe going that 1mph over the limit, but its still breaking the law. Petty i know and so is moaning about someone who has mis spaced his letters/number, as said hes not gonna kill anyone with that...speeding may do!!

....I see your point of view. You've expressed it far better than the OP!

There's not much point in me being pedantic but the registration is only granted to you under licence. A bit like the difference between leasehold and freehold property, but let's not endlessly debate this  :smiley:.

My point is that, justified or not, the number plate laws have to be obeyed if we aren't wanting fines etc. There's an old expression: "Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb" (though lambs are tastier to eat). I'm happier to be caught for 93 mph in a 70 than 33 mph in a 30 (which I stick rigidly to anyway, camera or not).

Thanks for bothering to explain your thinking more fully - Appreciated whether I agree with you or not  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 06:09:43 pm »
 :happy2:   :drinking:

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2010, 06:10:55 pm »
I bought J33 PTJ for my Jeep TJ.. £250 from DVLA.. Sold it for £2200.

On my PD150 I had the illegal German plates..Got stopped once for an insurance cock up.Traffic said the onboard scanner read the plate no problem which in turn highlighted the issue.Turns out the broker misunderstood by "B" for a "V" but the rozzers were happy with the plates strangely.

My GTi is legal but me and the Mrs have fun with drivers who have them mispaced etc to spell something then just in case you dont know have it printed out underneath because were stupid.. :signLOL:

On the whole I like em, :drinking:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 06:19:39 pm »

No, you don't. They are licensed to you by the DVLA. The DVLA can, if they desire, reclaim them at any point. It's unlikely that they will do so, but nevertheless.