yes  ilegal
2 (3.2%)
ilegal but i will take the chance anyway
8 (12.7%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: November 02, 2010, 08:59:37 pm

Author Topic: ilegal plates on you mk5 gti  (Read 16387 times)

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
Re: ilegal plates on you mk5 gti
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 06:25:33 pm »
:indifferent:

Cant see why people on here are getting in a huff over it. Its the guys registration to do what he wants. He knows he's spaced it illegally and for that he will take the fine.

You could say many peolple on here are stupid for spending all the money on the cars they have, but again its their's to do what they want......each to their own!!

Yeh but spending loads of money on your car isnt illegal last time i checked, bit of a difference dont you think :stupid:

:angry015:  depends what you do to it!!

Maybe but spending loads isnt illegal is it, so your comment is irrelevent :confused:

Oh and look :angry015: :angry015: :angry015: we can all play those games :stupid:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 06:37:33 pm »
I notice you like to call people stupid alot, look in the mirror!!....... My comment was aimed at other people calling the OP stupid, why, just because of what he did...doesnt make him stupid, he knew if he got caught he would get fined!!

My point was he may think people are stupid for spending loads on MODS....i wasnt on about the legality of it all, we all have different opinions on things and peoples actions, but it doesnt mean we are stupid.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 06:37:43 pm »
Have to disagree RR. I purchased the registration plate direct from the DVLA. My registration did not exist until i made it up and bought it.

Your right i own the plate but i also own the Registration (numbers and letters in the sequence/order they are) No one else can have or use this registration (legally) without me selling or giving it to them.

I do agree with the number plate laws and have never said i dont, and i must say i hate seeing chavved up number plates where you cannot read them because the font is that bad. However if the font and size of letters and numbers are correct and all you have done is moved a number or letter over whats the problem. Why should it matter to anyone else (bar the law) Its hardly going to kill someone. But yes its is illegal but then the person involved takes the fine. So what if they get fined 400 times, they are the ones that have got to pay.

We must remember here we all break the law in one way another more than likely every day, maybe going that 1mph over the limit, but its still breaking the law. Petty i know and so is moaning about someone who has mis spaced his letters/number, as said hes not gonna kill anyone with that...speeding may do!!

No, you don't. They are licensed to you by the DVLA. The DVLA can, if they desire, reclaim them at any point. It's unlikely that they will do so, but nevertheless.
Not quite.  The DVLA do not have a blanket right on reclaiming all registration marks.  The DVLA can only reclaim 'personal registration marks', and only after 'systematic abuse' as reported by the Police.  Maybe time for a FOI request to the DVLA to see how many such seizures they've made.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 06:49:47 pm »
Thanks T_T, i didnt see that post.

Yes i do own it, but yes it can be taken off me but as T_T says if the DVLA are informed of abuse. As i stated in a previous post someone i know got done 3 times and the police said if they catch him again he will be reported and the plate taken off him.

Its kinda like owning a gun..if i get a license i can own it but if i shoot someone they will take it off me. I buy a plate, it's mine, i abuse the plate they can take it off me, I still own/owned it though!  :smiley:

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »
:indifferent:

Cant see why people on here are getting in a huff over it. Its the guys registration to do what he wants. He knows he's spaced it illegally and for that he will take the fine.

You could say many peolple on here are stupid for spending all the money on the cars they have, but again its their's to do what they want......each to their own!!
    cheers mate   and on another note not a bab amount or replys for a pointless poll
Sig to big.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 06:57:09 pm »
^^^^
Regardless of who legally 'owns' the registration plate, the Police are duty-bound to uphold the current laws regarding them. Challenge them at your peril [/end of].

I'm surprised that there's as many as 5 (+ 2) people here who knowingly take the chance   :surprised:

As for the 1 who isn't sure.. Now that, imo, is stoopid!   :stupid:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:04:28 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 06:59:44 pm »
 :signLOL: 

I must admit RR i was wondering the same  :laugh:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2010, 08:45:34 pm »
^^^^
Regardless of who legally 'owns' the registration plate, the Police are duty-bound to uphold the current laws regarding them. Challenge them at your peril [/end of].
You've made your point, and I think we all agree! :happy2:

I'm surprised that there's as many as 5 (+ 2) people here who knowingly take the chance   :surprised:
Horse to water . . . and all that! :wink:

As for the 1 who isn't sure.. Now that, imo, is stoopid!   :stupid:
Maybe, maybe not.  Afterall, can you honestly state you know the finite detail of every law relating to your car? :innocent:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2010, 09:17:20 pm »

Afterall, can you honestly state you know the finite detail of every law relating to your car? :innocent:

....Yes, because I rely on smarty pants like you to tell me  :laugh:  :P  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rubber toe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »
Quite suprising how strong peoples opinions are on this subject  :surprised:
IMO I don't think it's hurting anybody and if they choose to do this then they must be willing to pay the consequences if they are caught .Which I myself am :innocent:
Personally I've found that the police enforce plate rules a lot more down south than in Scotland , don't know if it's because there's more numberplate recognition speed cameras etc ? Altho I don't doubt that if I "cruised" about the town at the weekends or any other so called cruise hotspots I would get pulled a lot more .

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=51foeokkcl4jrobnohtpp7b0c9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2010, 10:13:55 pm »
I was thinking of getting some dubmeister pressed plates... ( UK font, correct spacing etc)... what are peoples views on these?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2010, 11:01:18 pm »

Afterall, can you honestly state you know the finite detail of every law relating to your car? :innocent:

....Yes, because I rely on smarty pants like you to tell me  :laugh:  :P  :happy2:

Doh - I walked right into that one! :rolleye:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2010, 11:03:50 pm »
I was thinking of getting some dubmeister pressed plates... ( UK font, correct spacing etc)... what are peoples views on these?
They are supposed to be 100% legal - but I recall someone had 'issues' with the old bill.
------

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=51foeokkcl4jrobnohtpp7b0c9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2010, 11:07:44 pm »
They are supposed to be 100% legal - but I recall someone had 'issues' with the old bill.

Yeah ive heard that they are legal. They do look good and id like to use them... but CBA getting pulled over by the feds!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2010, 11:39:29 pm »

Yeah ive heard that they are legal. They do look good and id like to use them... but CBA getting pulled over by the feds!
I think there is something to download of dubmeisters website - keep that in your glovebox.  Otherwise, when you order, ensure they specifically state they are road legal on the invoice, then keep a photocopy of that in your car.
------