Make a donation

Author Topic: Speed trap detector  (Read 5844 times)

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
Speed trap detector
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:49:52 pm »
Can any of you guys and girls recommend a good Radar speed trap detector?

I don't want to spend a fortune but I want one that uses radar tech not just pre installed maps which needs plugging into the computer every month.

I have seen those ads for parking sensors that scramble radar guns but they are illegal even though they are being sold as parkings assists. Bit of a grey legal area there I think, not worth getting into.

I think the ones that can detect mobile speed cams ate quite pricey but can you put a price on your lisence? I got caught doing over a 110mph a while ago but the courts mucked everything up so I got away scot free but now I am much more careful and considerate driver thanks to that massive scare!

Thanks

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
Re: Speed trap detector
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:13:55 pm »
I've got an Origin B2 and it's never let me down.  they're called Pogo now though: http://www.pogogps.com

FOR SALE!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:19:46 pm »

I have seen those ads for parking sensors that scramble radar guns but they are illegal even though they are being sold as parkings assists. Bit of a grey legal area there I think, not worth getting into.

....Not so "grey" any more!:   http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8077912/Speed-camera-jammer-banned.html

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:23:59 pm »
I use a PogoAlert which relies on being updated via a PC (I use a friend's because my computers are Macs) but there is a Mac-friendly PogoAlert just out.

RoadAngel offer a self updating detector - SteveP has one.

Most systems have a detachable laser trap alert but it's too late when you hear it go off! Such alerts are illegal in some European countries but not in the UK.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:37:07 pm »
Radar and Laser detectors are pretty useless IMHO, they'll have got you long before you see them.

A garage door opener is the only fool proof way, other than not speeding of course.  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 11:41:55 pm »
Radar and Laser detectors are pretty useless IMHO, they'll have got you long before you see them.

A garage door opener is the only fool proof way, other than not speeding of course.  :evilgrin:

are they easy to retrofit stu ??

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline kevinm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
  • No. 728
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:03:50 am »
I have a valentine one. At the time i bough it (July 08) it was the best one on the market. If it beeps for laser you're caught but it gives anything up to 3/4 of a mile notice for radar. It has always given me plenty of notice for radar, even around bends and in built up areas.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:36:53 am »
I've got an Origin B2 and it's never let me down.  they're called Pogo now though: http://www.pogogps.com

Me to although I have the Pogo Drive which is a nice bit kit.  :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Kinbin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • "Go-getter kid-at-heart with a need for speed"
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 05:01:41 am »

....Not so "grey" any more!:   http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8077912/Speed-camera-jammer-banned.html

He was probably installing one of these in the link, aka Laser Interceptor. They are able to package it together with the V1 (aka Valentine One). It is wickedly effective. Need 2 sensors in the front, and another 2 at the back. When sensor beeps, one needs to slow down, switch it off, and unplug it. It comes with quick release wire attachments .

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/

The Mental Image And Feel Of My GTI; BQM-167 Skeeter Drone - Dodging Low Level Supersonic Jets @99.5% Survivability, Mach 0.95

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:39:36 am »

....Not so "grey" any more!:   http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8077912/Speed-camera-jammer-banned.html

He was probably installing one of these in the link, aka Laser Interceptor. They are able to package it together with the V1 (aka Valentine One). It is wickedly effective. Need 2 sensors in the front, and another 2 at the back. When sensor beeps, one needs to slow down, switch it off, and unplug it. It comes with quick release wire attachments .

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/

...."If not shut down during driving the Laser Interceptor may cause interference to law enforcement laser speed detecting devices"

Am I missing something? What's the point of this particular feature if it's not used during driving? Causing interference to law enforcement of any kind is a serious offence in the eyes of a British court. The case as reported in The Telegraph will serve as a legal precedent for other cases.

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:13:46 am »
i think as they are maketing it as a parking device if you dont turn it of when driving and you get prosicuted you have no come back on them, as they have sold it as a parking device,

also i have heard that in court you can get away with having one of these fitted if you can prove that it does work as a parking sensor or your garage door opener, and as this product works as a parking sensor you can prove it,

(weather or not this will still work coz of all the hype about these products i dont no)

tom

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:51:53 am »
ive got the road angel pro-connected one which updates itself but rarely use it as i can't stand the constant beeping so open to offers if anyone is interested

those jammers look interesting but alot of cash and if you get caught using it then its money down the pan and most probably a ban..

im not sure what its like up and down the country but around my neck of the woods lately  I have hardly seen any cops or camera vans out on the roads  :pomppomp:  ive put it down to the budget cuts  :congrats:

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 12:01:49 pm »
I might be James. PM more info please.  :smiley:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 12:38:15 pm »
I had a kit which was able to switch pretty much anything at home.  Mine was connected to an outside light which illuminated when I went onto the drive.

That overcomes the legitimacy of having it fitted to a car.

The second issue is the part where it is less than ideal to interfere with police radio transmissions.

The device I had catered for this by having a feature built in which would automatically 'pause' the transmission if another device was received.  Another useful function was that it would sound an audible warning in the car.  This might, under the right circumstances, cause you to reconsider your speed  :wink:

I'll see if I can find details.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 12:52:36 pm »
This is it -

http://www.speed-detectors.co.uk/catalog/target-lasertrack-lt450-complete-system-p-160.html

LT450 is the home/car kit.

I thought I'd look for a YouTube video and stumbled on this wireless solution to go with it.  Very interesting -

Stu...