Make a donation

Author Topic: Speed trap detector  (Read 5845 times)

Offline Kinbin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • "Go-getter kid-at-heart with a need for speed"
Re: Speed trap detector
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 02:38:29 pm »

I have seen those ads for parking sensors that scramble radar guns but they are illegal even though they are being sold as parkings assists. Bit of a grey legal area there I think, not worth getting into.

....Not so "grey" any more!:   http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8077912/Speed-camera-jammer-banned.html

He was probably installing one of these in the link, aka Laser Interceptor. They are able to package it together with the V1 (aka Valentine One). It is wickedly effective. Need 2 sensors in the front, and another 2 at the back. When sensor beeps, one needs to slow down, switch it off, and unplug it. It comes with quick release wire attachments .

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/

...."If not shut down during driving the Laser Interceptor may cause interference to law enforcement laser speed detecting devices"

Am I missing something? What's the point of this particular feature if it's not used during driving? Causing interference to law enforcement of any kind is a serious offence in the eyes of a British court. The case as reported in The Telegraph will serve as a legal precedent for other cases.

RR, one would switch it off after the detector alarm sounds. By applying the brakes and have it disconnected promptly, the police will be able to detect the speed again at the reduced speed which ought to be within the limit.  One is "buying" a mere few seconds to slow down.

The Mental Image And Feel Of My GTI; BQM-167 Skeeter Drone - Dodging Low Level Supersonic Jets @99.5% Survivability, Mach 0.95

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »
I think the 'Jammer' is too hot to touch and will be seen as an instant ban in the laws eyes from now on. Not worth the risk trying to pretend that its for my non existent garage. Thanks Red Robin you cemented that one.

I like the idea of the Pogo and when i have a spare £250 i will probably invest in it.

Here is a free (iPhone) option that has mixed reviews http://www.trapster.com/iphone.php and I am yet to physically try it but looking at the map locally it has labelled all my Gatso's and traffic lights and school areas. It is primarily American but if enough people use it over here it is a great idea and a FREE option for iPhone users.

There are also other apps which i have yet to see the price of but here is the list http://www.iphoneness.com/iphone-apps/5-handy-speed-trap-apps-for-iphone/

:fighting:

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 02:37:52 pm »
Actually scrap that I have downloaded this app for 59p and it already looks and feels more like the real thing.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

It is £15.99 for a years subscription and runs well with the tom tom app at the same time.

Anybody else think this is a good idea or is it just me?

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 02:47:18 pm »
It's obviously not a 'detector' it's an intelligent app that knows where the fixed cams are and uses GPS to warn you.

PGPSW have been at it for years now and have a good incentive to report unknown camera locations so the database is pretty good.

Your original brief was slightly different as in you wanted 'detection'.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 02:49:26 pm »
You are right Stu and after looking at some of the prices the cheaper options are becoming more appealing  :ashamed:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 02:51:03 pm »
Nothing wrong with it mate, it's a good solution I just don't want you to thing you have 'protection' when really all you have is a warning system.  :happy2:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 02:55:15 pm »
For £16 its worth a trial until i can fork out for the real thing  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 03:04:44 pm »

Nothing wrong with it mate, it's a good solution I just don't want you to think you have 'protection' when really all you have is a warning system.  :happy2:

....That's right. It's a bit like tax avoidance and tax evasion - One is legal and the other isn't. Speed trap 'protection' devices aren't legal.

I always thought that entrapment was never legal either but I guess laws are made to suit those who create them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:15:45 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:43 pm »
Speed trap 'protection' isn't legal.

Of course it is Robin, simply don't speed and you're protected - legally  :signLOL:  :P
Stu...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 03:15:01 pm »
Speed trap 'protection' isn't legal.

Of course it is Robin, simply don't speed and you're protected - legally  :signLOL:  :P

Speed trap protection devices aren't legal.  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »
I loved PGPSW but wish we could use their database on the RNS510.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 06:17:29 pm »
I loved PGPSW but wish we could use their database on the RNS510.
I think when people add Speed cam sites to the RNS ts the PGPSW data they use