Make a donation

Author Topic: S3/R32 front and Rear brakes do fit very easily.  (Read 11679 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: It has started! The slippery Slope has claimed another...............
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 10:45:17 am »
You need to access the centre console to correctly adjust the handbrake after fitting the new calipers.

Adjusting handbrake

New adjustment is only necessary after renewing handbrake cables and brake calipers.

–   Depending on equipment version of centre console, remove only cup holder, rear cover or complete centre console
–   Depress foot brake hard at least three times.
–   Firmly pull on and then release handbrake three times.

Below the first notch, the handbrake lever must return to its released position.

–   Tighten adjusting nut until lever lifts off the brake caliper stop.
–   The total distance to stops on left and right brake calipers must not exceed 1.5 mm.
–   Check that both wheels turn freely.

Due to the automatic rear wheel brake adjustment there is no requirement to adjust the handbrake after making new/initial adjustment.

Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 10:58:54 am »
I hope one of you kind gentlemen are going to do a detailed write-up when completed.  :drinking:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 01:25:42 pm »
You need to access the centre console to correctly adjust the handbrake after fitting the new calipers.

Adjusting handbrake

New adjustment is only necessary after renewing handbrake cables and brake calipers.

–   Depending on equipment version of centre console, remove only cup holder, rear cover or complete centre console
–   Depress foot brake hard at least three times.
–   Firmly pull on and then release handbrake three times.

Below the first notch, the handbrake lever must return to its released position.

–   Tighten adjusting nut until lever lifts off the brake caliper stop.
–   The total distance to stops on left and right brake calipers must not exceed 1.5 mm.
–   Check that both wheels turn freely.

Due to the automatic rear wheel brake adjustment there is no requirement to adjust the handbrake after making new/initial adjustment.

Correct, thanks Stu.

Pics on way, brakes fitted no problem.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 01:33:50 pm »

The brakes went on no problem, the Centre console was a pain to get out, i needed to do that to release the handbrake cables properly.

The S3 stone guards are not usable, they dont fir at all, so i sued the Ed30 ones and tweaked them slightly to clear the bigger disc, all this involved was a push or two in the right area, and they fitted fine. 

The S3 hoses are the same, and thats about it.

I will do a proper How to, but just need to refut the centre consloe after a sandwich, and thgen pub.  Oh they are immense too!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:39:09 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 01:37:13 pm »
Looks  :happy2: but did you need that hacksaw to fit it?   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 01:42:02 pm »
The Ed 30 Stone guard is fitted prior to the hub going on.  so you need to remove a thin piece to make it as shown above, so you can remove it.  Then I realised the S3 guard was useless, so back the ed 30 went on.

If you look at the 2 guards, you can make out the grey paint I sealed the edges with on the Ed30 version.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 01:54:35 pm »

Between the 2 grey painted areas is a thin bar, which prevents you removing the guard unless you first remove the hub.

So Off it came.  Anyway food now, later all.

:driver:

Offline Vick N

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: S3/R32 front and Rear brakes do fit very easily.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 06:18:59 pm »
Any more details on were to modify the rear s3 guards as we could not work it out and I hate the fact I have not got rar guards on  :grin:

Thanks

Vick :)

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 06:59:11 pm »
Sorry Vick,

You may have the wrong end of the stick.  The S3 Guards are not usable at all, they don't fit, I struggled to get 2 screws in.  I left the std GTi variants on, and just bent them slightly away from the disc.  The S3 disc is 310 and the Gti is 286 (i think).  You just need to bend it slightly out of the way to give a few mm clearance between the disc and guard.

HTH

D

Offline Vick N

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 10:09:18 am »
Sorry Vick,

You may have the wrong end of the stick.  The S3 Guards are not usable at all, they don't fit, I struggled to get 2 screws in.  I left the std GTi variants on, and just bent them slightly away from the disc.  The S3 disc is 310 and the Gti is 286 (i think).  You just need to bend it slightly out of the way to give a few mm clearance between the disc and guard.

HTH

D

Ah right, so If I just bend the circumference of the disc guard so the disc clears it by a few mm, should that be sufficient?

Thanks dude  :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 10:09:52 am »
Sorry Vick,

HTH

D

Ah right, so If I just bend the circumference of the disc guard so the disc clears it by a few mm, should that be sufficient?

In one!

Offline Vick N

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 10:10:36 am »
Sorry Vick,

HTH

D

In one!

Man, that must tbe the fastest reply ever!  :drinking:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 07:01:09 pm »
When fitting the R32/S3 rears :

1) Can the OEM GTI brake lines be reused with the new R32 brakes ? (I've heard they are the same)
2) Is that handbrake adjustement really necessary ? (What can happen if not done ?)
3) I've heard someone managed to use R32 stone guards but only used 2/3 holes to fit it !?
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 07:03:47 pm »

1) Can the OEM GTI brake lines be reused with the new R32 brakes ? (I've heard they are the same)
2) Is that handbrake adjustement really necessary ? (What can happen if not done ?)
3) I've heard someone managed to use R32 stone guards but only used 2/3 holes to fit it !?

1) yes, you can reuse.
2)no
3)use your own, they are more than enough to cover the disc

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 07:22:51 am »

1) yes, you can reuse.
2)no
3)use your own, they are more than enough to cover the disc
:happy2: