Make a donation

Author Topic: Attempted heating seat wiring loom... Disaster struck!  (Read 18540 times)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Attempted heating seat wiring loom... Disaster struck!
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:17:13 pm »
Hey folks,

Over the weekend I decided to fit ED30 front seats I had purchased, and bought a Kufatec heating seat loom & climatronic unit with heated seat function.

Let's just say over the last 2 days, it's been 'developing' between fitting the seats and getting the wiring loom under the mats etc, it was a case of spending a couple of hours, then going back, and in the case of yesterday, sod all thanks to the rain (need to have driver door open to get to fusebox etc!)

And so today, I had a day off work, and it would mark the day of wiring the electrical side of things up! (Fusebox area).

It was always the part I dreaded!

I went with the following in the end

Thick Red / White Wire - Fuse box port 37 (then fitted 30 amp fuse to this port for heated seats).

Thick Grey Wire - Fuse box port 44 (Then fitted 20 amp fuse to this port - it wasn't in use, according to the fuse guide its for 'Towing Recognition Control Module (not for rear battery)30a
) So hopefully it will work else i'll no doubt have to change the sodding thing lol.

Thin Grey Wire - Fuse box port 34 (Then fitted 15 amp fuse).

Unfortunately that sounds smooth sailing but it wasn't really... But this was the main problem, fitting the single white cable to the Central electrics module, Module 'C' Pin 1
Well, after trying to get the sodding plug out, I finally managed it, slid the pink pin locking thing out the way, and pushed the white cable pin in socket 1.
...Then I couldn't get the thing back in!!! I tried and tried, gave Lee (apollo13) a call and in my haste it looked like i'd put the pin in the wrong way round.

Well, could I get the thing out? No! I tried everything, paper clips, pins, flat mini- screwdrivers, nothing, in the end, I pulled the b*****d thing out with rage! And then used long nose pliers to pull the remaining connector out!

I did that, as I needed the car tommorow so I couldn't afford more time with daylight quickly dissapearing.

Anyway, I couldn't get the plug C back into the electronics module! Even then without the white cable! I checked for bent pins, nearly broke my back trying to look up there lol, but after lots of swearing, the plug went back on, although ironically, I now wonder whether that was always the case, and that the white wire may have always been in the right position, a lesson learned for me there - but a stubborn connector all the same.

So now, im left with it all wired in, bar that one white wire to the central electric module, i've cover the bare end with insulation tape and will seek out on Lee's advice a VW Repair wire (any part numbers for this anyone? Or is it something the parts guy SHOULD know?) and will put a new end on the white wire and try again.

I did a scan on VCDS afterwards just to see if it brought any fault codes, and all I got was this;

Address 09 : Cent. Elect.

1 Fault found

02092 - Enabling Heated Seat
   009 Open or Short to Ground

Assume this is just simply due to the heated seats being enabled in the CCM but not actually connected up?

So the theory behind all this is, IF I manage to get that white connector in the CEM, it should just all work...Providing those fusebox locations I've used are ok.

One thing I will say, is I noticed that the plugs on the seats, didn't neccasarily have matching pins, to the plugs in the wiring loom from Kufatec...I did order a 2007 loom for 2007 Seats though...?

A definate MASSIVE Thanks to Lee (Apollo13)  :happy2:for helping me out over the last weekend on the phone - much appreciated mate!!!
Sean

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Attempted heating seat wiring loom... Disaster struck!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:27:06 pm »
I bought the wiring loom for the heated seats. I tried to fit it. The instructions sent with the loom where rubbish for me. (Dont know if they have changed them). Asked on here for help but nobody had done it so no one was sure. Still havent got the heating fuction working, although the electronic adjustment now works fine.  :confused:

Hope you find a solution  :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:45:19 pm »
Sounds like an interesting little project, I hope it works out.

I love these sort of jobs, they can be a real barsteward but when it works out there is a great amount of satisfaction.  As you found out though time is often against you.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:58:33 pm »
Hello mate!

What pins did'nt line up in the seat connectors??

02092 - Enabling Heated Seat: Open or Short to Ground
Possible Symptoms
Seat Heating not working
Possible Causes
Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Central Electronics Control Module from/to Seat Heating Control Module faulty
Control Module incorrectly coded
Possible Solutions
Check Fuse(s)
Check Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Central Electronics Control Module from/to Seat Heating Control Module
Check Control Module Coding

02092 - Enabling Heated Seat: Short to Plus
Possible Symptoms
None
Seat Heating not working
Possible Causes
Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Central Electronics Control Module from/to Seat Heating Control Module faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Fuse(s)
Check Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Central Electronics Control Module from/to Seat Heating Control Module
Special Notes
When found in Central Electronics, see TSB/TPI 2010355.
If the Central Electronic Control Module has the Part Number 3C0-937-049-E and the Seat Heating Regulator has the Part Number is 1Z0-959-772-A while there are no Function Limitations, the Fault has to be ignored.
Retrieved from "http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/02092"
Category: Fault Codes

Nothing to worry about mate, Id pull the additional fuses you put in to be sure though until you get it sorted.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:12:01 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:15:01 pm »
Hi mate! I am pretty sure the ones on the seats, there was either less pins on the seat, than there was on the cable loom, or vice versa. Some lined up, other's didn't but I didn't take too much notice of that at the time, I figured, worst case, they can be moved fairly easily!

It's definately an interesting project! Amidst all the swearing if it DOES work after, it will be satisfying but not something i'd do again! :grin:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:23:26 pm »
I had an extra pin or maybe two in the connectors on the loom from memory.

I tested them and they were permanent live so i can only guess they were perm power for the adjustment/ memory seat function (which i dont have).

I think kufatec probably only make one loom for all options heat/lumbar/adjust/memory and just try it on and charge you extra for something thats already there!!

:fighting:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 07:39:29 pm »
I think kufatec probably only make one loom for all options heat/lumbar/adjust/memory and just try it on and charge you extra for something thats already there!!
 :fighting:

That I reckon, is spot on! After all, on their kit listings they list 2005,2006,2007.

According to that guide you posted up a few weeks back the connectors changed in 2007... So why have a 2006 option? It's definately them trying to confuse everyone!

Should my electric lumbar work? Without that CEM cable connected?

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 08:26:48 pm »
I think it should work, no reason why not mate.

You connected up the ground didnt you?

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:32:00 pm »
Hi mate, yeah I had 2 Brown Grounding Wires, so just undid the bolt by the driver side door (where the bonnet lever area is) put those 2 ground wires on to join the others, and tightend the nut over them.

I can't remember if I tried to use the lumbar, I was just glad to get back in the house lol, i'll try it tommorow morning though!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:37:18 pm »
Well i cant see why it wont work mate.

To be honest youll set it and forget it if your the only user of the car, I change mine because me and the missus whos a short arse both use the car.

Oh you managed to get the bonnet release lever off!!  :fighting:

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:41:47 pm »
I snapped the bugger off! I've ordered another one, only a few quid  :grin: I was getting impatient!

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »
Well the electric lumbar works...  :grin:

Just need the repair wire to fix the CEM Wire and hopefully we jammin!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 09:50:12 pm »

:congrats:   If only youd taken more time!! Youd have it all working mate!!  :drinking:

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 10:22:38 pm »
The pin connector is square for the CEM, so I reckon it was in ok all along :( Just the connector is a bitch to connect up, I think that's just how it is, oh well, live and learn and all that!

Now I just need to wait for the repair wire and hopefully that should be it!

The fact the lumbar works is a good sign hopefully that the wires are as they should be...

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 10:45:21 pm »
Im sure itll be fine mate, I ordered all my repair wires and connectors today should be here thursday.

At least youll know how to do it for next time!  :rolleye:  What sensors did you go for in the end?