Make a donation

Author Topic: Attempted heating seat wiring loom... Disaster struck!  (Read 18541 times)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Attempted heating seat wiring loom... Disaster struck!
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:49 pm »
I am also complaining to Kufatec about this, it doesn't state anywhere about LHD on their website, and as Lee said, for vehicles 2005 & 2006 the wiring is the same for passenger and driver side on the connectors, yet for the 2007+ seat wiring the drivers seat holds the control box so needs the main adaptor.

If this does work it will help anyone in the future when buying Kufatec looms for post-2007 car seats.

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 07:32:49 pm »
Just to add, I think and from what I have read the change happened from 2007 but they maybe a crossover somwhere in late 2006.

If anyone is thinking of doing this mod then check the seat plugs before you order any wiring. Dont just rely on what your told by the seller or breakers yard!!
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 07:55:25 am »
The wiring diagrams say it was 2006 onwards but I don't know what month.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 10:54:34 am »
I think the only way to be sure Stu is to look at the seat connectors and check the number of pins.

If the drivers and passenger connectors have and equal number of pins then go for the earlier loom, if not then the later loom.

I have 2005 car with 2005 seats and even when i connected mine up I had to swap the control wires around behind the climate panel because they were the wrong way round. This leads me to believe that the loom was geared up for a LHD car.

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »
Hi guys! Success today!

The 30amp cable I needed for 2 of the wires arrived yesterday - and I had booked today off work for that very reason of fitting it all.

Armed with a couple of reels of Halfords 7amp cable in various colours, a brown earth cable, and 10M (!) of 30amp cable, I set about removing the driver & passenger seats once again, starting by feeding the long passenger side loom back to the driver side, then chopping the driver side connector leaving approx 4 inches of cable still attached to the connector.

I did this the long way round, but having a couple of wires the same colour for 7 different wires I couldn't do them all at once, so I had to do them one at a time, feed one wire through from one side to the other, then join it at it's respective connection, this did take a while, and is a pain in the arse but it was the only way to be sure the right wire was going to the right connection.

I had my dad helping for a bit as well which helped out, but we did a combo when it came to connecting the wires, for some, we crimped bullet connectors on, for the thin wire, the crimps were too big, so we did the old fashioned wrap the wires round each other, solder and cover.

Anyhow, after all that, im happy to say it works perfect, and is far neater than i'd done it before, as now you literally cannot see any wires anywhere.

Lee > Thanks very much for your help with this mate again it's been a huge huge help! Guess what, bizarely, the heater control panel controls the correct seat! (Remember last week I said it was doing the opposite?) so either I connected the 2 red/white wires on the loom in the wrong pins and thats miraculously fixed it or I was imagining things last week instead!

Either way... A toast to you all!

I also fitted Passat CC Window switches, mirror switch, and headlight switch will post another thread about that with pics this weekend.

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2010, 06:47:24 pm »
Just for reference for anyone who searches this thread in future.

IF you are retro-fitting heated seats on seats from a 2007+ GTI then you MUST reverse the wiring loom.

In otherwords, what you THINK is the passenger side (a big cable on it's own) is actually the DRIVER side connector! So be prepared to extend wires!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »
Woooo Hoooooo!   :pomppomp:

Well done mate you got there in the end! Just in time too, its freezing!

Well Im glad my bit of trouble shooting in Bluewater car park at ten o'clock at night was'nt a waste of time after all!

I think you were imagining the dials were round he wrong way in all the confusion!

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2010, 06:59:15 pm »
It definately wasn't a waste of time mate (ok a waste of your evening  :ashamed: ) but one things for sure, without that we'd never ever know (and you fixed the CEM cable properly & pins!) and this is bound to help countless others who run into the problem, Kufatec gave me £30 back, not great but not terrible either, covers the cost of the extra wire and whatnot needed to buy! They really should offer to make a RHD loom!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2010, 09:47:42 pm »
Excellent news.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2010, 09:48:25 am »
Good effort and I'm sure its all the more satisfying after all the grief.  :notworthy:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant