Make a donation

Author Topic: Watch out! New speed camera system on the horizon....  (Read 3050 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Watch out! New speed camera system on the horizon....
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:23:17 pm »
Called the 'ASSET' camera system it can detect all sorts of things about your car and you at once.

I'm not against any law enforcement regarding seatbelts, mobile phones, tailgating, etc, or speeding in built-up 30 and 40 zones, but I tend to use common sense and my own judgement of conditions in 60 and 70 zones. Fortunately this device looks like it can be easily spotted, or will they disguise it as a horse's head out of a trailer box?

Linky:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1326035/Speed-camera-checks-insurance-tax-wearing-seatbelt.html

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: Watch out! New speed camera system on the horizon....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:31:39 pm »
I don't think you will see many of these about with all the cuts that Police & local councils have got too make. In fact a lot of local councils are doing away/down sizing on the ammount of speed cameras they have due to cost.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:19 pm »
Yep, but it's not due here until 2013 and the UK state of the economy may change by then...  possibly, but possibly not.

Apparently some counties such as Oxfordshire are intending to switch their speed cameras back on because of increase in speeding - I wish I'd known when last in Oxfordshire. I wouldn't ever ignore the 20/30/40 zones though, whether camera present or not.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:40:02 pm »
Glad i live in North Yorkshire,we have no fixed speed cameras, only the ones the Police have. But West Yorks !!!!!!!!! :scared:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:40:59 pm »
Quote: "The 3D camera can also detect and photograph whether drivers are wearing seatbelts"

And, judging by the photo they've used, whether a hot babe is driving and if she has nice titties   :evilgrin:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:41:26 pm »
Oh FFS.

Speeding is not the main cause of accidents - it's the driver: skill and attitude. Tailgating can be dangerous but often in heavy flow traffic, the distance between all vehicles will be reduced. Will it detect and differentiate this from the nova tailgating?

I accept that it is important that vehicles have valid MOT and insurance but I presume this is going to be checked against the motor insurance database, which is reknowned for inaccuracy. There are reports of insurance companies failing to update the MID. How will this be managed?

I still maintain that a visible police presence is a far more effective deterrent against dangerous driving than cameras will ever be.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »
Just thinking about the tailgating aspect: Unless you are driving behind the ASSET camera vehicle, how will it measure your distance if you are another car behind? Because surely not even those who tailgate don't do so to a Police car - Unless of course it's unmarked.

And although I always try to start my overtake at a shallow angle from further back where I can also see far ahead better, sometimes it's safer to be closer but hanging out on the white line ready to go like feck.

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 04:52:51 pm »
Think we'll be lucky to see these by 2015.. At least I hope so..

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 04:59:45 pm »
Jeeze! I'll be 68yo in 2015...  And probably (hopefully!) still driving fast where conditions are IMO safe.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:13:58 pm »
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 05:19:12 pm »
Since the camera has the ability to detect speed it will be able to determine if the tailgating is in traffic or normal driving conditions.  The fact it has a generator implies to me it will be stationary otherwise it would run off of the vehicles electrical systems, and as it looks easy as hell to break I guess it will be accompanied by police presence.  Although if thats the case wouldnt it just be easier to have an officer in a patrol car with camera and using his discretion......

Doubtless these will be replacing the current transit vans that sit around a blind corner in an area with dubiously marked speed limits on roads that should by definition have a higher speed limit...  (I got done doing 36 in a 30 it was between to villages on a A road that was empty dry and not at all twisty, but they kept the 30 limit in place for 5 miles between the villages even though there was no habitation, came round a corner and there was a mobile camera fair enough I was over the limit but the limit IMO wasn't the right one for the road 40 would have been more sensible.....

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 08:48:27 pm »
^^^^
Nice one, James!  :signLOL: Very good indeed - Even got the right colour for my chariot  :drinking:

h4rdy

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 08:56:31 pm »
Since the camera has the ability to detect speed it will be able to determine if the tailgating is in traffic or normal driving conditions.  The fact it has a generator implies to me it will be stationary otherwise it would run off of the vehicles electrical systems, and as it looks easy as hell to break I guess it will be accompanied by police presence.  Although if thats the case wouldnt it just be easier to have an officer in a patrol car with camera and using his discretion......

Doubtless these will be replacing the current transit vans that sit around a blind corner in an area with dubiously marked speed limits on roads that should by definition have a higher speed limit...  (I got done doing 36 in a 30 it was between to villages on a A road that was empty dry and not at all twisty, but they kept the 30 limit in place for 5 miles between the villages even though there was no habitation, came round a corner and there was a mobile camera fair enough I was over the limit but the limit IMO wasn't the right one for the road 40 would have been more sensible.....

Its always 30 for a reason.

No ifs no buts there will always be a reason for it being a 30.

There has to be as it has to be justified by governing bodies.

If you had killed somebody at that 36mph, god forbid, and they prove it which they usually do its prison I'm afraid!

There is a road near me, from Kingston Blount to a 50 limit just before Chinnor which is a 30 but there is a couple of houses and a pub set back on a blind bend.

I always thought it was wrong as its really difficult to keep to the limit.

But if you look at the wider picture and take another look at the road there will be a reason.

In this case its the pub which is difficult to exit.

On another note, I would welcome a couple of those in my village to stop all the Corsa and Fiesta boys screaming around usually up my arse trying to race me!

Don't get me wrong, yes I am old, I was the same in my Metro 1.3L but the cameras are always in the wrong place!

Over and out and don't shout at me!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 10:00:22 pm »
^^^^
Nice one, James!  :signLOL: Very good indeed - Even got the right colour for my chariot  :drinking:

Only joking with you buddy  :drinking:

You going goodwood this sunday? German car special  :happy2:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 10:52:58 pm »

You going goodwood this sunday? German car special  :happy2:

....Not on this occasion. Have a great day - I'm sure Hedge will be there, Earl March should give him a suite in the house.