Make a donation

Author Topic: What's the best wax for TR  (Read 2138 times)

GTIStevie

What's the best wax for TR
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:19:35 pm »
As the title suggests looking at detailing the motor this weekend before winter and need to know what people think would be the best wax to use or will I just go with my black fire wet diamond sealant???

Going to stock up tomorrow at polished bliss so any advise welcome.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: What's the best wax for TR
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:16:24 am »
for during the winter months you want good durability, this is up there, and for the price its great

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/collinite-marque-d-elegance-915-cat13.html

you could put this on top of your Blackfire sealant for added protection
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:00:47 pm by craigy123 »

PM for details

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:18:13 am »
I've been using a combination of Lusso Oro which gave a top notch finish but wasn't very durable and Colinite 845 which I have been mighty impressed with. Beads and sheets like a dream and its been nearly 3 months since I applied two coats and its still doing the job.

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:37:25 am »
Not a sealant, but I'd recommend you apply a coat of Poorboy's Black Hole glaze prior to any sealant or wax. It gives a super shiny gloss finish.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/poorboys-black-hole-glaze-cat9.html

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:40:18 am »
If you want to use a sealant and wax, make sure you wax after using the sealant. FK1000P is a great sealant and you won't need to apply a wax on top. Should last all winter too.  :happy2:

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:13:35 am »
Very timley thread was thinking of ordering Blackfire, any one else on here use it?

Can I use blackhole with blackfire over the top or should I be using there version?

GTIStevie

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 10:26:26 am »
ive used blackfire a few times and i find it besat to apply to the car then leave for about an hour then remove leaves a good shine and wet look to paint.

but I would like to know if i should also apply a wax for over the winter,

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:24:44 pm »
Ideally, you should start from a clean base. This means using a strong mix of APC and/or claying. Then polish the surface and/or apply a cleanser/glaze.

Sealant should be done next, followed by wax.

So you could use blackhole, the blackfire, then a wax of your choice. Then throughout winter, you can simply rinse down, wash with 2BM and top up the wax.

Collinite is more synthetic and hence closer to sealant than wax, though it can replace both. I once had a layer of AG EGP followed by Collinite 476s and still have greag beading 3 months later.

At the moment, I have two layerd of fk1000p and will be following this with some wax (not decided which yet).

Don't forget to protect the rims with an alloy/wheel sealant.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

GTIStevie

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:13:38 pm »
Right was at polished bliss today and the guy in there was great and gave me some good advise, so the plan is to thoroughly wash the car and have some super degreaser and shampoo for that, the car has only been flayed about a month or so ago so will just make sure there are no tar spots before polishing. Then I have menzerna polishes to do and that will be followed up with nanolex nanowax which the guy at PB recommended and it should last 5-6 months.

I also have the windows engine and exhaust tips to do as well will be starting tomorrow afternoon and then going for the polishing most of saturday maybe into Sunday.

Will take some photos and post up when I'm done and also report my findings on this nanowax. the guy at PB was good with advise as he also owned a mk5 TR GTi.

Offline Hendo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »
Can't beat the guys out at polished bliss there always spot on.

Once I pick my new edition 30 up on Monday I'll be having a little trip out there to pick up some goodies and I think Tuesday will be detailing day.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:17:51 am »
The polished bliss wee warehouse is a dangerous place to go into, for my bank balance anyway!!

PM for details

Offline alan_n

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:25 pm »
Not a wax, but I find opti-seal hard to beat for ease of use and durability. Can top up with optimum car wax also with great results