Make a donation

Author Topic: Lupo TDI Sport - Given a spit and polish by DMR!!!  (Read 7638 times)

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Lupo TDI Sport - Given a spit and polish by DMR!!!
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:32:28 am »
Car was collected on 18th August. Most modifications completed by 26th August. :)

This is Gemmas new car doubling up as our joint daily. Low mileage, excellent service history. Good options for a Lupo. 60+mpg.

As advertised on Pistonheads.

Lupo TDI Sport by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Back home and debadged.

Untitled by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Car had been used on a farm. Engine was just covered in mud. Spent a good hour cleaning, spraying, agitating and jet washing the engine bay. Looks a million times better now though.

Side strips removed. Lots of elbow grease needed here. And after a really good clean.

New wheels arrived today. 15" Lenso BSX. Look really smart. Coilovers also arrived today, but im just waiting on bits to do a 280mm G60 brake upgrade and some new top mounts, bearings and rear bump stops, brake pads and G60 carriers\discs. Also going to give the calipers and rear drums a lick of paint when i stick the coilovers on.

So, all in all quite a bit of progress since we picked the car up on Saturday.

Spent most the day fitting the Pro Sport coilovers that i got from eBay for Gemmas Lupo. I took it for a test drive this evening once i had cleaned up (there wasnt any daylight left). Better pics will follow once its cleaned and sunny tomorrow.

1 top mount nut was seized. Spent all my effort and had to get my cousin to help (to turn the 21mm swan neck spanner as i held the 7mm allen key with all my might) as i dont have any air tools or impact gun. A rear spring seat was corroded into the beam and i hadnt realised, cue lots of swearing trying to ge the rear adjusters in till Gemma pointed it out. A quick tap with hammer/screwdriver and it was out. Also, 1 nut holding the top mounts/spring plates on to the old front shocks was stuck tight. Had to get the neighbour to help with a bench vice and my 7mm brake allen key.

Ended up wasting about 3 hours in total just because of these delays.

Fitted the 280mm setup today. Thanks to vwp6n (Mark) for supplying me with a set of G60 carriers that had been beautifully refurbished in black satin powder coat.

Had a few problems. Typical of the 280mm conversion on the Mk2 when using the 256mm calipers, i had to grind down the slider nuts 2-3mm. Also, the brand new Lupo GTI pads were too thick for the caliper to fit over with the piston compressed all the way back in. So i had to use my existing pads which were part worn. Nice and even wear, but will take a little longer to bed in now. I also had to grind down a 15mm spanner to fit the new sliders. Haha!!

Gave the calipers a really good grind down with a conical wire brush attachment for my angle grinder. They were then painted in Hammerite Satin Black spray paint. They are looking really fresh now. Gem is well impressed!!! ;)

Also increased the ride height by 10mm, as after it had settled it was REALLY low. Its still really low now, but a little more usable.

Please ignore the overspray on the disc. I painted the centers and outers to stop them corroding so fast.

Lupo G60 Brake Upgrade by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

How the car sits now with the slightly improved ride height. Looks great imo!!

Lupo Slammed on Lenso BSX, Coilies and G60 brakes by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Forgot to mention that all new caliper to carrier bolts, carrier to upright bolts, disc retaining screws and strut bolts were all used during this refurb, as well as new top mounts and bearings and rear bump stops!!

Lupo has now been detailed and de-swirled. Looks 1 million times better.

Detailed @ Detail My Ride by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Outside Shot After Detail @ Detail My Ride by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Reflection Shot - Beautiful Flake Pop by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Level of correction achieved on the paintwork. Amazing!!

You are now up to date on the wifes new Lupo!!!!  :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Lupo TDI Sport - Given a spit and polish by DMR!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:39:28 am »
Trés cool :happy2:

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:00:02 am »
Looking very smart!  :laugh: Wish i could get my missis interested and out of her 1.3 auto Starlet!  :grin:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:02:11 am »
My wife chose the wheels, wanted it slammed, wanted wind deflectors, wanted the bonnet bra that we also have for it, wanted pressed plates which are on order, insisted on it being detailed by DMR etc.....

She still wants a retrim, decat exhaust and we have a TDI remap voucher for awesome gti as well.  :popcornsoda:

She's a right petrol head.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:14:25 am »
Superb little car! Worn the years very well and was in better condition than some 3 year old cars we have seen!  :notworthy: Build quality was also another level for such a small car!  :congrats:

Really got a Lupo GTi itch now!!  :laugh:

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:32 am »
Superb little car! Worn the years very well and was in better condition than some 3 year old cars we have seen!  :notworthy: Build quality was also another level for such a small car!  :congrats:

Really got a Lupo GTi itch now!!  :laugh:

Iv just been looking on ebay at lupo GTIs after looking at this.....  :innocent:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 04:47:54 pm »
Looks spot on that.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
would look better with some deep dish wellers  :wink: haha just get shot of the brakes  :P
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:26 pm »
would look better with some deep dish wellers  :wink: haha just get shot of the brakes  :P

Hehe. The 280s are staying. In fact, ive got some Polo GTI calipers on the way for a DIY refurb so I don't have to run ground down sliders. Hoping to get them on by the weekend.

On the look out for some cheap Passat/G60 steels for winter.

Offline Fozzy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 08:04:56 pm »
Wow...what a difference that detailling session did...car looks spot on! always had a soft spot for a little lupo.!

Came close buying a blue lupo gti once!!

Good Start hope the better half apprciated it! :happy2:!!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »
Looking good so far. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »
Calipers from vw6pn arrived yesterday (Thanks Mark). They were Polo GTI calipers that had a seal/piston rebuild. Had to use a hammer with the spanner to free off the bleed nipples, and put them back in with a smear of copper grease. I might replace these for new eventually. The intention was to give them a repaint, but not a full on strip down/blast/coat. Just a grind back with a wheel on the grinder, and then a quick spray job.

This is how the calipers were looking after a grind down. I did get more paint off after this:

Polo GTI Calipers after a wire brushing by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Then after about 4-5 thin coats of Hammerite Satin Black spray paint they were looking like this.

Should look ok once they are on the car tomorrow. Plan is to fit these with the un-ground sliders and new rubber seals and new GTI pads. Rather than my ground down sliders, used pads and leaking rubber seals.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 07:54:22 am »
WOW!! What an awesome Lupo. Lovely colour as well. Are you planning to colour code the lower sections of front and rear bumpers and that interior?

Ride height is spot on!

Iv just been looking on ebay at lupo GTIs after looking at this.....  :innocent:

So have I!!   :signLOL:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 08:23:11 am »
It's had to go up a little bit. The driveshaft was catching on the chassis majorly. It was literally at air ride height. Lol.