Make a donation

Author Topic: I-Pad whats it really like?  (Read 5858 times)

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
Re: I-Pad whats it really like?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:47 pm »
JPC

We have a standard wifi router that we got with our SKY broadband. I have phoned to ask if they do an upgraded one but they don't. The wifi reception on the ipad is great everywhere except around our house so it must be the router. It is strange though that I can online game using the PS3 in the lounge wirelessly but the iPad reception in the same room is intermittent.

I do perhaps need to locate the router in a more central position but the phone points are all on the extremes of the property so will have to route a load of cables to remedy. Not a problem as we use the ipad in the kitchen mainly and the reception is ok there
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 04:30:32 pm »

No Ian you don't understand, I do need one.  My life is not complete.  :evilgrin:

In fairness Tiger your life is probably as complete as it needs to be right now.  :happy2:

....Especially complete as you now have someone dedicated to looking after your new little one, Stu:

[Damn! I can't find that pic of Hedge]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 05:21:02 pm »
Your router needs to be in the main socket using a cable no longer than a meter, using a extention cable or a socket that's not the main one can cause a slower connection and drops in connection. You can log onto your router (192.168.0.1 in the address bar username:admin password:sky) and change the wireless channel to 8.

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 10:06:35 am »
ah ok, that makes sense.

I have the router plugged into one of our two other phone points in a room out of the way. Our main phone point is right next to the front door and I have never used it as there is nowhere to put a phone let alone a router where the kids will not destroy it.

May give that a go before changing the channel

thanks for the help
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 11:12:40 am »
The standard Sky router is also $hite!
What you described will have no bearing on his wifi connectivity, but will apply to how fast the internet is
Ant

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 01:02:11 pm »
The standard Sky router is also $hite!
What you described will have no bearing on his wifi connectivity, but will apply to how fast the internet is

same with the virgin 50mb wifi router which is utter tosh, get yourself apple airport extreme, very easy to set up and broadcasts in 5ghz and normal  :happy2:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 01:17:23 pm »
Your router needs to be in the main socket using a cable no longer than a meter, using a extention cable or a socket that's not the main one can cause a slower connection and drops in connection. You can log onto your router (192.168.0.1 in the address bar username:admin password:sky) and change the wireless channel to 8.

mine is on the end of a 10M phone ext lead, and works just fine.  

Only power cuts that seem to frequent Cider-space in Somerset cause problems!

GTIStevie

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 01:27:51 pm »
iPad is great in fact I'm typing this message right now on it. For me it's great spend most of the day surfing online with it and battery will easily last all day and more depending on usage. I use it more now than my laptop and wouldn't be without one.