Make a donation

Author Topic: How to dismantle key?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline GeeTeeI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
How to dismantle key?
« on: November 06, 2010, 05:52:54 pm »
I've seen blank key covers for sale and mine looks a bit tired - how do you get the thing open to get the gubbins out for a switch over to a new one?

Is it as simple as they say on the ebay listings (just change the keyblade and transponder into the new one)?

Thank you

Offline Eddy30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
Re: How to dismantle key?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:03:55 pm »
Not sure exactly mate but if you flick the key out and get your thumb on the silver bit and push away from you it splits in half leaving you the key in one part and the buttons in another,think from there you can then split the lower part by pushing in the plastic tabs,there is also a small pozi screw under the Vw badge which should split the key part, hth

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 11:35:53 am »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline GeeTeeI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:38 am »
Hmmmm

I've hit a problem. Ive changed over all the innards and the blade. Put it all back together, and while it opens and claws the car and boot, when I come to start the car it says "immobiliser active".

Can anybody advise what I need to do? Is there something in the old key that talks to the car?
Thanks
Mark

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:11:24 am »
Well by the sounds of it you have replaced the front part of your key too, this part holds the immobiliser transponder.  so go and get the old front part of your key where the blade secures and re-use this part unless you are going to get the new immobiliser transponder re-synced to your car immobiliser.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »
Well by the sounds of it you have replaced the front part of your key too, this part holds the immobiliser transponder.  so go and get the old front part of your key where the blade secures and re-use this part unless you are going to get the new immobiliser transponder re-synced to your car immobiliser.

Just take the transponder out of your old key. The new key won't have one if it is from ebay. Anyway, VW will charge  to recode all your keys to match a new transponder, (and you do have to do them all at the same time,) you can't do it yourself without the right equipment.

TonyZ