Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice - Creaking front end over speed bumps  (Read 21310 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: Advice - Creaking front end over speed bumps
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 06:14:57 pm »
Anti-roll bar bushes creaking is my guess.

Offline Steve Baker

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 07:04:42 pm »
My GT needed ARB bushes replaced at 90K miles, no more Creaking  :happy2:
Steve Baker

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 07:53:07 pm »
Yeah I remember your thread Garth, and that why I checked the springs.  Is it possible to visually check the top mounts or do you have to remove the suspension?  I seem to remember you had new springs fitted at the same time but what was the rough cost of replacing the top mounts? if you dont mind me asking  :wink:
My top mounts were £45 and were fitted free because the springs were being done anyway. I think it cost £110 to change the springs, so probably the same to replace the top mounts  :happy2:

I don't think it is possible to inspect them without removing the suspension

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:24 pm »
Right lots of good responses cheers guys, the good news seems to be that a number of people have the same noise and seems it can be lived with!  And I will get it up on axle stands at some point soon and give the arbs and rest of suspension again.

Still want to hear any further suggestions and solutions people can think of. :drinking:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 10:49:49 pm »
i had a similar creak happen on my car, it was creaking over bumps etc and it turned out to be the front leveling sensor for the xenons.

i was chasing it for weeks with the wd40 (thinking arb bushes etc) and when i finally found it a good soaking with WD sorted it
Still Here!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 08:47:21 am »
i had a similar creak happen on my car, it was creaking over bumps etc and it turned out to be the front leveling sensor for the xenons.

i was chasing it for weeks with the wd40 (thinking arb bushes etc) and when i finally found it a good soaking with WD sorted it

Interesting, it is mainly the front left side so will give that a squirt.  :wink:

Did you spray some of the other bits with wd40?  arb bushes etc

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ge47ca38rsq6n1jms93qpsscdc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 09:06:06 am »
I got in my car last night at 3am.... 2 degrees outside and mime was creaking over bumps too. From what I remember Witt my old mk5 it's worse when cold!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 09:36:43 am »
I got in my car last night at 3am.... 2 degrees outside and mime was creaking over bumps too. From what I remember Witt my old mk5 it's worse when cold!

Cheers Rich, I get the feeling this is more normal than I thought, will get some GT85 on some choice contact areas and see how I go.  Seems the good news is that nothing is broken or needs replacing  :pomppomp:

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 06:59:13 pm »
yeah i was covering all the bushes in WD it was driving me mad.  arb, wishbone, arb links etc    and i finally discovered it was the sensor after 3 or 4 attempts at trying to find it
Still Here!

Offline Jack Frost

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 10:04:03 pm »
Had the same on both my V6 4Motions. Had ARB bushes replaced and noise was still there - turned out to be the ARB that needed replacing as the coating was being worn away by the rubber !!

Saint Steve

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 04:20:22 pm »
Mine did this as well, had top mount bushes replaced by VW, exactly the same after i got the car back afterwards, got fed up of vw not finding faults, so i bathed the front Anti-roll bar mount rubbers at the front on each side with WD40, and fixed it straight away.