Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice - Creaking front end over speed bumps  (Read 21313 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Advice - Creaking front end over speed bumps
« on: November 10, 2010, 09:23:05 am »
Looking for a bit of advice to narrow down a noise I get from the front of the car (suspension area) when going over speed bumps at low speed ~15mph.  I initially thought it was just the front left suspension but appears to be both making same noise.

It sounds is like creaking and there is what I would say is a metalic component to it like a hinge or joint that isnt greased or free moving.  I have had the front wheels off and checked over the springs and shocks and both are intact show no sign of excessive wear and there is no obvious oil leaks. 

My thought is ARB joint come loose but interested to hear if there are any other suggestions, if there are then pictures or descriptions of what to look at would be very helpful.

Car is 2005 GTI with 38k is standard and running on the 17" wheels so would discount rubbing. 

look forward to hearing people thoughts  :drinking:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
Re: Advice - Creaking front end over speed bumps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 10:05:05 am »
I had the same thing and my VW dealer told me both front springs had snapped  :surprised:

Turns out, they're useless lying w@nkers. I got my local indy to take a look and the springs were good as new! I had the top mounts changed and the noise went  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:01 am »
Yeah I remember your thread Garth, and that why I checked the springs.  Is it possible to visually check the top mounts or do you have to remove the suspension?  I seem to remember you had new springs fitted at the same time but what was the rough cost of replacing the top mounts? if you dont mind me asking  :wink:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=nmba3ks8dn3j7h8ofn36o11o5v&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:39 am »
Im sure this is top mount related!

Offline kevinm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
  • No. 728
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 11:17:07 am »
If it was the top mounts would it not make the noise when you turn the wheel? And isnt the top mount noise more of a springy sound if you get me? I had those symptoms on my mk4 and it was the arb bushes.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:20:51 am »
I've had this noise on mine almost since new. As you say it only appears when travelling slow say over speed bumps, and seems to be worse on cold mornings.

It was diagnosed (out of warranty) as dry top mounts, but my local garage who I trust said, unless it gets worse or starts to affect steering geomety, then he advised to just leave it - which I did, and that was 3 years ago.

Been through 3 MOT's since and also a full laser geometry set up and all with no problems. It's just a little annoying, probably  will get them sorted seomtime soon.

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 11:37:40 am »
All interesting stuff, so the concensus at the moment is mainly top mounts, or possible ARB bushes.  I suppose both are hard to visually inspect?  I dont get any noise or feed back through the steering on full lock or otherwise and suspension feels solid and comparable on both sides of the car.

And it is more prolific when cold which I suppose could point towards a rubber or silicone bushing being involved and flexibility increasing once warmed up.  Does anyone have pictures or ETKA exploded diagram for the front suspension?  To visualise the components involved.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:00 am »
Here you go Rich

Part 2 - is a Deep Groove Ball thrust Bearing

Part 4 - is Suspension strut storage.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 12:02:36 pm »
Thank you Norbreck, so would it be the movement of the top of the shock within part 4 and 2   that is causing the creak??  If that assumption is correct could some sort of PTFE based penetration fluid/lubricant (that is rubber/nylon safe) sprayed from within the engine bay under cap 6 help lubricate the top mount?

Would this be adviced or is friction required in this location?   

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »
Sorry to trouble you again, any chance of ETKA exploded diagram that shows how the ARB fits into place, cant find one on google images.  :drinking:

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 12:58:56 pm »
Here you go again Rich

Hope this helps.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 01:04:30 pm »
Here's another from ElsaWin - ARB obviously part no 32  :grin:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 01:20:07 pm »
Thanks Norbreck both very helpful, ElsaWin especially as it shows the join point with the car  :notworthy:

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 01:43:15 pm »
Mine does this, appears to be from the rear, I thought it was loose tools in the spare wheel well  :grin:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 05:07:58 pm »
I've had this noise on mine almost since new. As you say it only appears when travelling slow say over speed bumps, and seems to be worse on cold mornings.

It was diagnosed (out of warranty) as dry top mounts, but my local garage who I trust said, unless it gets worse or starts to affect steering geomety, then he advised to just leave it - which I did, and that was 3 years ago.

Been through 3 MOT's since and also a full laser geometry set up and all with no problems. It's just a little annoying, probably  will get them sorted seomtime soon.

Same with me - sounds like something is dry.  As you say, its worse when its cold.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant