Make a donation

Author Topic: Drinking Oil  (Read 7367 times)

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Drinking Oil
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »
simple answer no and you should never ever wait for the light to come on as thats telling you its empty and you might end up burning your engine up from oil starvation  :scared: 

The oil light is not telling you that it is empty, although it could be.  :scared:

It is not an oil level light, it is an oil pressure warning light, which could come on if the oil level was low, but it could come on if the oil was full but the pressure was lost for another reason. It does mean stop driving until you have found the reason it came on. This could be low oil, blocked filter, faulty oil pump or anything else.

Driving without oil pressure can be terminal!! :sad1:

TonyZ

The GTI at least does have two lights, oil level and oil pressure.  There is a seperate and distint oil level sensor in the sump.  If its the oil level warning then things are no where near as severe as oil pressure but agree that you should not rely on this.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 01:21:52 pm »
That consumption is really odd, mine never used a drop.

You've either got a leak or the PCV is blowing past and the engine is simply burning it. Both need looking at ASAP.
Sideways yo!

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 04:55:15 pm »
Thanks again for the replies. As i said i wouldn't normally do this, i was simply doing it as a test to see if there was an issue! Now i know i seriously need to get this checked out. It's definitely not an Oil pressure light as it shows up on the dash saying check Oil Level! What a pain in the ass!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 05:44:48 pm »
i had my ed30 for 2 years and only had 8k miles when i sold it , so not really run in , always warmed and cooled not driven hard but used when in the mood  :evilgrin: and never used a drop of oil , neither did my octavia vrs (2.0tfsi model) i had before or my S3 which followed the ed 30
i would suggest getting it check out cause i would say all is not right

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 05:59:40 pm »
I disagree my car used that amount of oil, but after topping it up a few times stopped using oil. Loads of people have the same consumption as you described. My car used 2.5litres in 2500 miles when I 1st got it. As long as its not more than 1litre every 600miles VW have said its normal for that engine