Issues with rust that VW declined to repair under warranty
1 (1.7%)
Issue with rust that you still haven't done anything about
7 (12.1%)
No rust
17 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2010, 07:54:54 pm

Author Topic: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!  (Read 199437 times)

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« Reply #555 on: June 23, 2015, 02:11:21 pm »
They'll call that 'zinc inclusion' and usher you out the door
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:42 pm »
Just took the car to VW Shrewsbury for sill inspection. Upon arrival I started to explain the issue and how others have had the same. I was told don't believe what you read on forums as most of it is bo****ks! Nice. He started inspecting the car and took front wing depth readings. I said the wings were fine. He looked at both the sills as I stated that the other was probably not far behind. I was then told VW usually do wings and sills at the same time and that because only my sills need doing it would be VERY expensive. I said that I don't want to drive around in a rusty car to which he replied "it's not a new car, most cars rust at this age" (57 reg, 40,000 miles!)
No pictures were taken and the claim is being processed after it has been checked whether I have any good will allocated to me and the car!

Not holding my breath for any kind of result and to be honest the whole experience has made me want to sort the sill at a local body shop and leave the VW brand for good!

Well they got back to me today and agreed a 50/50 contribution. They still want £360 though!!!!!

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #557 on: June 24, 2015, 12:49:25 pm »
I have to admit, I lost total faith in the Leicester dealership. The parts team are shocking and often have a can't be bothered attitude. On the off chance I took my mk5 into VW fully expecting a rejection but have to admit the body shop team were excellent. I only had a complaint about the boot lid and the passenger side arch but they checked the drivers arch and sills and said will fix both arches and sills. And as I had my car serviced with them all its life will do the boot lid free too!

Cars booked in for July so let's see how we get on!  :smiley:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: September 18, 2015, 09:28:21 pm »
My sons car has had rust on the Front Offisde wheelarch and he has touched it up , it has continued to rust . Would VW still consider it under warranty 2006 GTI ? whats the procedure ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline GSP1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #559 on: September 18, 2015, 11:00:29 pm »
You've got my support mate. Happy2

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #560 on: September 18, 2015, 11:48:34 pm »
@garrardrj take it to a dealers and they'll let you know. Worth a shot? Has it rusted in areas that were not treated before? If so you stand a good chance. They also replace the wings so if it's rusted elsewhere the original repair is of no worry to them in putting the new rust right. 

Offline Vegasphil

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #561 on: September 28, 2015, 11:20:24 pm »
Hi all,

My first post here, but I have been reading with interest for a while. I have bought a 2008 GT Sport in Steel Grey. Beautiful car and I am very happy with it.

Unfortunately there are a few bits bodywork and rust bubble wise that have come up which I have only noticed when giving the car a good clean!

It's Scottish originally, registered in Glasgow and living in Kilmarnock. Hence sh*t weather and salty roads in the winter have probably not been kind! I have noticed a couple of minor rust bubbles on the front arches, sills and rear arches. Tailgate is fine though!

I'll get it into VW this week and see how I get on (a couple of people have used my local Southampton dealership successfully). Thanks to so many people going down the route and recording their findings. I will be sure to do the same.

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #562 on: September 29, 2015, 04:51:26 pm »
I've been given the option to have my front wings blended into the doors (at cost to me), would you recommend having this done? It's tornado red.

Can it make it worse than not having the paint blended?... Taking half the paint off the door and mixing old and new paint seems quite daunting.... How do the ensure the lacquer seals?

Offline GSP1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #563 on: September 29, 2015, 10:47:01 pm »
I was given this option too at a cost of £90.  I think it would be a neater job.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #564 on: September 30, 2015, 10:39:18 am »
I was given this option too at a cost of £90.  I think it would be a neater job.

Was that recently? For each door to blend into the wing? I was quoted £200 per side..... This is from a VW body shop.

Offline GSP1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #565 on: September 30, 2015, 10:45:31 am »

Was that recently? For each door to blend into the wing? I was quoted £200 per side..... This is from a VW body shop.
Yes mate the local vw dealer after sales manager. He said vw would pick up 50% for both wings replaced but he asked me to hold off so he can maybe get a better deal for me. And as he was inspecting the rust bubbles he mentioned that to repaint would mean a £90 cost to me

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #566 on: September 30, 2015, 01:00:28 pm »
@GSP1973 so after negotiations, did you have to pay for the wings in the end, or just £90 for the blending? I'm being offered FOC on the wings but told if I want blending its 200 each side.

Offline GSP1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #567 on: September 30, 2015, 01:16:42 pm »
Well at the minute as I said he offered 50% of the cost. Which was £350 + £90 for the paint.  But he asked me to wait and see if he can get a better offer. He was a sound fella actually. But I would shop around if I were you mate.  It seems from people's stories on this forum that no two VW dealers are the same concerning the rust replacement issue.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #568 on: October 01, 2015, 10:43:06 pm »
Western VW in Edinburgh (Fort Kinnaird) carried out an MoT on my Octavia last week. I found this on-going stockpile of rust behind their workshop:

Offline Vegasphil

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #569 on: October 02, 2015, 08:39:56 pm »
Mine is being checked out by Peter Cooper VW next week. Woman couldn't have been more helpful on the phone. Informed me about the process being straight forward for a warranty claim. Said that they will check over to make sure that they are the original panels.

Will post back once I find out more.