Issues with rust that VW declined to repair under warranty
1 (1.7%)
Issue with rust that you still haven't done anything about
7 (12.1%)
No rust
17 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2010, 07:54:54 pm

Author Topic: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!  (Read 204379 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2012, 10:58:00 pm »
Hi All,

I have slight rust on the front wing and rust around the rear badge, unexpected on a 7 year old car I must admit. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the PDF document to arm myself with when going to the main dealer. Car has 89k and full dealter history apart from one.

Cheers

Andy

....I have just emailed you a PDF at your lifecycle address  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:01:05 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #256 on: September 09, 2012, 09:03:02 am »
mine goes in to the body shop monday... scary times.

I'm also going to get them (at my expense) to do the bonnet, bumper and fronts of the sills to get rid of stone chips.... and also it will mean the colour is blended at the front.

I also have a bit of rust on the bottom of my drivers door (where its been opened into a curb and has now started rusting... not by me id like to add!) and a bit coming through on the rear arch where it meets the rear bumper.. (again from a previous owner where they have removed the rear bumper and then probably scratched the paint in refitting it. Not sure if I'll get VW to do this as well. All depends on their quote.

The 19s are off though and will be getting refurbed at the same time so by next weekend it should be looking as good as new  :happy2:
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #257 on: September 09, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »
Just given mine a good clean today and found some rust..  :sad1:

It's right in the middle of the nearside front wing, on the lip underneath, so seems to tie in with the 'foam insert problem'.  Robin (or anyone else), have you still got the PDF and if so, could you email it to me please?

I'll be making a visit to Bradford VW sometime this week...  :fighting:

Still, at least my car is nice and clean again.. it's been a while.  :ashamed:

Paul.

MPS

« Reply #258 on: September 10, 2012, 04:41:51 pm »
Mine was collected and courtesy car dropped off last Tuesday, (Mk6 Polo 1.2 3 cyl - quirky off-beat rasp to the engine lol)-  rang them today for an update, they've ordered new wings which are due in tomorrow, so the car should be all done by Thursday!  
:jumpmove:  :pomppomp:  :jumping: Can you tell I'm excited?  :grin:

Anybody who wants a copy of the pdf just pm me with your email address and I'll send you a copy  :happy2:

Matt
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:43:53 pm by MPS »

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: September 10, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »
I bought the car with a small ammount of rust on the top of the near side front wing. Didnt think too much of it until it flaked and looked  :evilgrin: ugly. So after a phone call with VW, took the car down to their bodyshop... They checked the paint depth, took a few photos. Within a few days they rang back and VW would pay for 100% of the repair... ( a new wing + spray ) Now considering the car is 05 plate. I didnt buy it from VW, Owned it for around a year I didnt think that was too bad going on their part!

Thanks VW Baisingstoke.  :innocent:

Offline Ducky76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »
Hi people rusty gti owner here ,  anyone had a look under there cars recently I did and didn't like  what I saw its like a rusty old banger , just where did Vw get the metal from 2 make these out of , my cousins e30 Beemer is like new compared 2 my 05 plate , have a look and tell me it's not just mine :(

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #261 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:20 pm »

Hi people rusty gti owner here ,  anyone had a look under there cars recently I did and didn't like  what I saw its like a rusty old banger , just where did Vw get the metal from 2 make these out of , my cousins e30 Beemer is like new compared 2 my 05 plate , have a look and tell me it's not just mine :(

....I have a close inspection of my 05-plate Mk5 GTI every single time she is up on a hi-lift. So I last had a look last week and even said to Jim @ JKM how good she looked in spite of being driven 100k miles in 7 years. Some corrosion is inevitable - I had a broken fixing bracket on the suspension level sensor - quite common apparently.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Ducky76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: September 10, 2012, 09:57:58 pm »
Oh yours sounds ok mines similar mileage , it just seemed flakey / chunky/ rusty , think that describes it right , just not at all what I expected on a new ish car  I've since soaked the underside with some rust inhibitor/ protectant hopefully that will stop it :confused:

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2012, 12:27:10 pm »
I take it these warranty claim successes are just for front wings?  Got some bubbling on a rear wing :(
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2012, 02:16:27 pm »
Just had a call from VW Chelmsford. Front wings are beyond repair so they have ordered new ones. The tailgate can be repaired though which is good.

I'm having the front end all painted to remove stonechips at the same time so that will be blended but now wondering how the colour match with the doors will look.

Bodyshop manager is adamant VW wont pay to have it blended but if the colour match is bad I'm not going to accept the car.

Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Neiltdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 8
  • Full Hex+CAN
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: October 09, 2012, 09:22:55 am »
took mine to be inspected about 20 minutes ago , it was all good until he got his paint depth machine out , it seems its been painted before , he said the paint should normally be 120-170 and it was 369 on mine!!
He said he will ignore the readings and put the claim in but dont be too hopeful and will let me know in 7-10 days.

So not great but fingers crossed
Full Hex+CAN in Hampshire.

Offline silverGT

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2012, 09:43:24 pm »
Just picked up an 06 plate GT TDI and discovered a small rust bubble just on roof edge about 3-5mm long definatly come trough from underneath so will be in my local dealer on moday...

Offline Rhino

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #267 on: October 15, 2012, 10:47:37 pm »
Im another one with this annoying problem, huge bubble spot about the size of a  10p
anyone know what dealers to go to in newcastle about this problem, silverlink vw or scotswood road vw?
many thanks

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »
Im another one with this annoying problem, huge bubble spot about the size of a  10p
anyone know what dealers to go to in newcastle about this problem, silverlink vw or scotswood road vw?
many thanks

See Lee Robertson at Scottswood Rd.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2012, 03:27:00 pm »
Hi guys. I have rusty front wings, drivers side back door trim (the bit between the two glass parts), and the drivers side sill at the front where the wing meets. Spoke to Smith Knight Fay in Stockport and have arranged to go to the bodyshop next week when i get back from holiday :jumpmove:

RR kindly emailed me the wings pdf but im sure i saw written somewhere that there was a similar document regarding the sills. I do recall reading about some manufacturing issue to do with holding the chassis on the production line but i was wondering if this was an official statement.

I highly doubt they will sort out the window trim for me though.

I'll let you know how i get on when im back!