Make a donation

Author Topic: VOSA's new planned MOT regs. incl illegal chipping!!!  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
VOSA's new planned MOT regs. incl illegal chipping!!!
« on: November 12, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »
Can someone define to me what an illegal chip is, and what would make the control unit, illegally modified. Also what constitutes to an illegal modification.  im presuming the likes of decat and screamer pipes, and not intake/exhausts

Since there are 100's of companies who legally sell remaps etc, a remap is insurable etc, how can they deem one illegal.

Article 6.1.9 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:173:0047:0072:EN:PDF
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:02:05 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: VOSA's new planned MOT regs. incl illegal chipping!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »
Isn't the answer to this in the word "chip"?

In other words: chipping = ECU hardware modifying, as opposed to remapping = ECU software modifying.

Also discussed here:  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21492.0.html

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 05:55:16 pm »
Not sure it would be that black and white.

After all the MOT test is not a strip down of the ECU to check on correct chips etc.  I think they will plug in and check settings (sum counts etc)

If, as Map Designers say, they are invisble, then nothing to worry about.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »
But the checksum values will differ from a stock map.  :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 06:24:41 pm »

Not sure it would be that black and white.

After all the MOT test is not a strip down of the ECU to check on correct chips etc.  I think they will plug in and check settings (sum counts etc)

If, as Map Designers say, they are invisible, then nothing to worry about.

....Unfortunately I think you may be right.

Looks like the map designers' claims will get tested. I say this because some folks insist that remaps really can't be completely hidden. I don't know who is correct   :confused:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 06:35:32 pm »
The only ones that cant are the ones that are 100% unloaded and reloaded from the car such as bluefin and shark performance with the STS.  but then there is still the issue of the flash count if its not reset -1.  this doesnt include REVO, as all thew SPS does is reduce the B-F-T back to stock levels of performance.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:05:22 pm »
No remap or software modification is untraceable, anyone that tells you otherwise is either misinformed or altering the truth so that the customer feels at ease with having the work carried out.

most aftermarket map switching tools cant fully return a car to standard either as they only read/write partial maps, not the entire software version.

Most ecu's also have flash counters that the dealers can see (this can also be seen by vagcom on some ecu's) but its easy to re-write these to standard flash count figures.

Someone mentioned checksum values, its true that these will change, but does anyone have the original checksum value of each and every specific standard file to compare with the suspected new 'modified' checksum? I think not.

How about cars fitted with aftermarket ECU systems such as Omex, Emerald, DTA etc... Will these all fail mot's?

It simply cant be policed, there is far too many aspects and not enough legislation let alone the equipment available to put such a rule into place, however I feel that the tuning box industry is the one being targeted with these new rules, which is only a good thing in my opinion! 

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:08:41 pm »
agreed, really irritates me when guys join up and ask if their £100 resistor in a box tunig gizomo can give the advertized 800Hp gain

Offline skifast

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »
an MOT really only checks the roadworthiness of cars to a minimum standard and only the mechanical parts cars have always been tuned and it has never been part of the test seems a red herring.  the other rumer i keep hearing is that VOSA is going to stop garages discounting the test price ...who knows?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:15:38 pm »
I have recently seen the aftermath of 2 engine fires caused by plug-in boxes, not cheap ones either. Both were on Mercedes diesels and both caused by the same brand of box, as with most they are made in china and sold from outlest in Germany to resellers in the UK.

Problem with tuning boxes is that they are a 1 size fits all attempt at tuning, with different plugs to suit each application, im yet to see a car with a tuning box fitted which doest cause either dangerous levels of fuel pressure or to leave a fault code in the ECU relating to fuel pressure/injector fault code.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:03 pm »
I will read the link later but
They will not scan each ECU imo theres to many makes/models and varients to do that but they maybe more strict on the figures what comes out the tailpipe which may show a change in performance stats of a given model.
There is also the issue with catalysts, Im guessing they will also be more strick on people who change the cat and don't have the make and model that was type approved with the car.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:22:01 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:02:35 pm »
I have recently seen the aftermath of 2 engine fires caused by plug-in boxes, not cheap ones either. Both were on Mercedes diesels and both caused by the same brand of box, as with most they are made in china and sold from outlest in Germany to resellers in the UK.

Problem with tuning boxes is that they are a 1 size fits all attempt at tuning, with different plugs to suit each application, im yet to see a car with a tuning box fitted which doest cause either dangerous levels of fuel pressure or to leave a fault code in the ECU relating to fuel pressure/injector fault code.

that's basically what i said in the other thread, I think it seems like vosa are trying to keep electrical fires in check, with the new regs eg most new checks seem to be electrical, battery and loom, hid instals and chipping eg sh*tty plug and play or solderd hardware.

well I hope so anyway, if not what's next exhausts, intakes, fuel systems or suspension ? This sort of descision will effect my next car choice.  

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:37:49 pm by gobbleplease »
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN