Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter RR day @ Motoscope on Saturday 29th January 2011 - 9am arrival please  (Read 25274 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Strange that, @AMD and JKM they never ask for something like that.  what type of dyno is it

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Dastek..

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Have had a brilliant day out today and met some really cool people looking forward to blade posting all the results up :happy2:
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
Graphs graphs graphs  :party: :party: :party:

how were the figures?  higher/lower or exactly what was expected?

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
Graphs graphs graphs  :party: :party: :party:

how were the figures?  higher/lower or exactly what was expected?

:rolleye:

Here there and everywhere!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
i love a consistent dyno lol. must have been the DSG cars causing the issues lol

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
DSG equipped cars have been known to adversley effect the dyno so to make sure we get accurate readings they run last. An example of this was my K1 going on after a DSG S3 and making 421bhp - need i say more.

How bizarre.  :confused:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
DSG equipped cars have been known to adversley effect the dyno so to make sure we get accurate readings they run last. An example of this was my K1 going on after a DSG S3 and making 421bhp - need i say more.

How bizarre.  :confused:

thats what i thought, maybe its just a peculiarity of the Dastek dyno, but i just cant see how the gear box effects a dyno, especially effecting others results.  But ive never heard of any issue on other dynos!!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
A Revo S1 Leon Cupra made 342bhp!!!! No other mods.

These northern rollers are bloody good!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Is this Motoscope or Superchips ??? :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
Is this Motoscope or Superchips ??? :laugh:

thats nothing, they make 345 on AMDs rollers :grin:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
well I do know another Roc R with Revo S1 made 310bhp at Wallace Performance (who have a Dastek Dyno also)

But 342bhp???  S1? No other mods??  Come on....  :stupid:

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Some were spot on my mates 197 made 197.3  but mine I acatully beat the Leon ko3 supercar and got 311  :surprised: that was a 5th gear run as to much wheel spin in 3rd and 4th!! The guy was honest and said its due to the tyres not getting warm enough as it was freezing so all the high hp cars were getting silly figures due to wheel spin.
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Dastek Dynos are very old fasioned in the way that they calculate a BHP@wheels figure, they measure power at the wheels and then at the end of the ramp up run (ramp up is the run from 1000rpm -peak rpm) you knock the car into neutral and let it coast down to idle.

The rollers measure the resistance from the coastdown and add this as a percentage to the final figure.

I.e 100bhp @ wheels and a coastdown loss of 20% = 120bhp @ flywheel.

DSG down have a neutral gear to drop down to as easily so the dyno adds a 'fudge factor' to estimate power at the flywheel. If the operator forgets to remove this fudge factor then the next car gets massive bhp.

Problem with this method of coastdown flywheel calculation is if you dyno a car at 100bhp and then add a big turbo, remap etc.... And get 200bhp from the engine the transmission is still the same, with the same losses so your 20% loss that was 20bhp is now 40bhp so you get a magical 'free' 20bhp added to your flywheel figures. :stupid:

This is the reason that a car once made 205bhp on a Dyno dynamics dyno and the day before it made 234 bhp on a coastdown dyno, but made the exact same power at the wheels.  

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
i love a consistent dyno lol. must have been the DSG cars causing the issues lol

Nope, this was before the DSG cars went on.. Figures were a joke TBH.  :sad1: Not sure what problems they had @ Motorscope, as last time they were pretty accurate IMO (apart from my heat soaked mess  :signLOL: )..
Figures ranged from 410+bhp Stage 2+ Cupras, 310+bhp KO3's, 350+ Stage 1 KO4's to some cars not making the power they should/hoped for (Sing123's). But what makes it even stranger, is that some cars were on the button, leaving people to wonder whether their figures were high, low or bang on (especially those who haven't had them on the rollers before).. :stupid:
Real shame really, as if I had bothered to put mine on there, I would of felt that I had just chucked £35 down the drain.. Hence the reason I didn't..  :confused:
Apart from that I had a cracking day to be fair. Saw loads of regular faces, many new ones and some I haven't seen for a good while.
Big thanks goes out to Jamie for the shotgun ride in his Stage 2 TTRS..  :driver:  :drool:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:47:48 pm by Sunglasses Ron »