Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter RR day @ Motoscope on Saturday 29th January 2011 - 9am arrival please  (Read 25283 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
A 197 making 197 is odd as they actually produce 178bhp in stock form, 197 is just a name. Same as the 172, its widely accepted and aknowledged that this engine makes 160ish standard.

Odd way that they do things in France :signLOL:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
now that ^^^ explains my recent runs between a MAHA dyno (similar to Dastek in how they work I reckon) and SRR's DD dyno.

Wheel power figs were believable...but the Flywheel bhp of the MAHA dyno was bit too much for it to be accurate.

:happy2:

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
A 197 making 197 is odd as they actually produce 178bhp in stock form, 197 is just a name. Same as the 172, its widely accepted and aknowledged that this engine makes 160ish standard.

Odd way that they do things in France :signLOL:

One thing I do know is that the Reno engine are known for bein way below or way over what the say as on the 197 forum some make 140 some make 190 same with the 172 they are shockin with the consistency!! So happy days for some and not for others.
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
note to myself  dont bother wasting my cash on a Dastek roller lol.  Surely if they are out they should be consistently out with all the cars.  Varied and random figures looks like potential operator issues to me.

@ PDT ive read about the figures on the Clio Renault Sports always under the 172/182/197/200 point on the clio forums.  Its widely accepted on them.  which makes them even more impressive IMO.  

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
Exactly, Maha use a coastdown as well.

This is why Dyno Dynamics is such a massive brand and has overtaken every other dyno manufacturer, consistency and repeatable reliable results. The sooner the UK market accepts bhp@wheels the better. Gets rid of all this flywheel power rubbish which is nothing but a guess that the dyno makes (in some cases this guess is accurate, others its not)

Offline chungster

• Thank You
word is there were some funny/comical/random numbers being thrown out today for the 2.0 TFSI cars!  :surprised:

Boost Leak issues? 

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
As I said today the flywheel hp is silly as the only true way to know is to wap it out and test the engine on it's own...
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
WD/$wd losses that are used for all brands of cars.
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:38 pm »
Exactly, Maha use a coastdown as well.

This is why Dyno Dynamics is such a massive brand and has overtaken every other dyno manufacturer, consistency and repeatable reliable results. The sooner the UK market accepts bhp@wheels the better. Gets rid of all this flywheel power rubbish which is nothing but a guess that the dyno makes (in some cases this guess is accurate, others its not)
Am i right in saying that they predict a transmission loss to work out the flywheel figures?  If so is that just generic FWD/RWD/4WD cars, as all gear boxes, brands and models will surely make varied losses

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
note to myself  dont bother wasting my cash on a Dastek roller lol.  Surely if they are out they should be consistently out with all the cars.  Varied and random figures looks like potential operator issues to me.

@ PDT ive read about the figures on the Clio Renault Sports always under the 172/182/197/200 point on the clio forums.  Its widely accepted on them.  which makes them even more impressive IMO.  

Crazy variation in figures is not likley an operator fault, a dyno day usually has 3 operators, one driving,the other 2 strapping and running the dyno. this reduces the chance of faults by the operator. Also if some cars are run in one gear and others in different gears this will give different results for different cars, if you test a car in 3rd the coastdown losses from say 6000rpm is a terminal speed of say 80mph so much less of a percentange of loss added to the bhp@wheels figure than a coastdown done in 5th with a terminal speed of 150mph, so flywheel figure will be estimated to be a lot higher due to a higher rolling resistance due to higher terminal speeds.  

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
My mates Civic made 230 bhp there today, 30bhp off an air filter is good going, I'll have to ask him what make it is, I think we all could do with one of those :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
everybody  likes a Feel Good dyno.  Free horse power in doggy bags :grin:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
My mates Civic made 230 bhp there today, 30bhp off an air filter is good going, I'll have to ask him what make it is, I think we all could do with one of those :laugh:

is it one of those with built in turbo tho that you see advertised on fleabay???

:wink:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email

I will take 3 please  :happy2:

Did you put the golf on in the end Dom? If not we will get it in for some propper 'non guesswork boost spike mapping' this week if you want  :grin:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Thought that had an exhaust on it Dom? Certainly sounded like it?  :confused:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
It just had a catback on Ben.
I didnt bother with the dyno Dave, I had a stock dyno done at your place teh other week. I suppose I should have put it on really. It might have made 300bhp so I wouldnt have  had to get it mapped after all  :signLOL:
Felt sorry for the rs focus bloke who split its guts over the dyno, he was phoning a tow truck as I was leaving :scared:
Think it was only a water pipe, but still not nice having to be towed home  :driver: