Make a donation

Author Topic: MY BONNET WONT SHUT !!!!!!  (Read 4736 times)

Offline D2MEY

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
MY BONNET WONT SHUT !!!!!!
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:49 am »
Morning Guys ,

Well having arrived back for a 2 week holiday i turn up at the hotel where I left my mk5 - to find ive got a flat battery ..

So they gave me a quick boost from the battery pack but i now cannot shut my hood .... So i had to drive from gatwick airport to bournemouth with just my safety latch  :surprised:

The pully is really just really loose

Any help would be great

cheers

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: MY BONNET WONT SHUT !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:25:07 pm »
I think it's all to do with the bonnet catch mate,a few on here have had the same problem. Best fix is to spay the catch etc with wd4o & spray grease & that usually does the job. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:29:47 am »
This has happened to me. Firstly at Santa Pod and a very kind guy helped me out with a WD40 type spray and that solved it for a few months until I was at an expensive private trackday at Nurburgring. First lap.. Came in to garage (F1 pitlane).. Opened bonnet to check and cool.. 10 minutes later I couldn't close it. Fortunately Hurdy helped me by waggling around a screwdriver for a good few minutes. We checked fluids first and then said "Right! This bonnet doesn't get opened again until we're back in England!"

I went to my VW dealer when back home and he told me it was fairly common on Mk5's and they had done one the previous week and now continually stocked the replacement parts. Needless to say, having a carbon bonnet I decided to fit some AeroCatches as insurance < A great excuse!

First step is to lubricate the cable mechanism.

If it happens again you'll probably find it's a failed lower locking 'block' (spring mech failure/corrosion) which needs the whole lower unit replaced (like mine did).

HTH
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:33:33 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:39:12 am »

So they gave me a quick boost from the battery pack but i now cannot shut my hood .... So i had to drive from gatwick airport to bournemouth with just my safety latch  :surprised:

....Be very very very careful doing that - A gust of wind and damage to both your car and possibly others could be heavy. Also, you'd need to consider telling a porky pie about the fact that you knew the bonnet catch had failed if an incident was caused. Though, probably the rear bonnet fixing arms on an oem steel bonnet would save the day.

Would the gas strut be 'overwhelmed'? Smashed windscreen? Not a nice thought.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:40:54 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!