Make a donation

Author Topic: Warning about sending packages by Royal Mail  (Read 3870 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Warning about sending packages by Royal Mail
« on: November 16, 2010, 03:01:13 pm »
Following a story about an ECU that belongs to PPC magazine (practical performance car) that was sent by royal mail and subsequently went missing and appeared on ebay for sale, it seems this is common practice for royal mail to 'lose' parcels and sell them on to an auction or private buyer 

This seller: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk:80/retailandtradeoutlet buys undelivered parcels from royal mail and then resells the items on ebay, nearly all car parts.

For more info on the original story pick up a copy of PPC mag and have a read, its shocking.

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 27
Re: Warning about sending packages by Royal Mail
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 03:54:23 pm »
Have you got a link to read the story online :happy2:

Neil

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:29:15 pm »
Hmm . . Royal Mail parcels, they`re about as reliable and as trustworthy as a VW dealer  :smiley:

h4rdy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:50:52 pm »
Hmm . . Royal Mail parcels, they`re about as reliable and as trustworthy as a VW dealer  :smiley:

Have you a specific example of Royal Mail being unreliable and not trustworthy?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=po6f39qj2m9b4fru56697ln29m&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:00:25 pm »
They lost me 50 quid recenty..... canoots!!!

h4rdy

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:02:03 pm »
They lost me 50 quid recenty..... canoots!!!
[/quote

Did you claim for the item as usually items are insured?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:07:57 pm »
I remember one item I'd sent by Registered Delivery (I think). The item was apparently delivered and signed for but the buyer stated he never received it! RM weren't interested as the item had been successfully delivered according to them

This is the problem with deliveries - you're relying on someone else to deliver an item honestly.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

h4rdy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:26 pm »
I remember one item I'd sent by Registered Delivery (I think). The item was apparently delivered and signed for but the buyer stated he never received it! RM weren't interested as the item had been successfully delivered according to them

This is the problem with deliveries - you're relying on someone else to deliver an item honestly.

Now its all done with PDA's so the signature can be seen online, but, it still doesn't stop people signing Joe Bloggs.

I will come clean I work for RM things aren't perfect but generally with the mail volumes concerned its pretty good.

I have had parcels lost and RM have always paid out.

Always pack it well and always send recorded or, if really important, special delivery.

For the sake of 70 pence is it worth it?

You wouldn't believe that people still send cash normally (my Nan!).

And when people put badges and lumpy things like car keys in envelopes, yes really, the machines I work on just destroys them!

So sets of keys with no idea where they are going!

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 07:56:18 am »
I send all my stuff recorded signed for.Incidents have been very few.A  forum member had his parcel opened recently,they left the pedal but took the bolts...weird.The most shocking one was the parcel I sent to TC.He asked if I could send it to his neighbour because there would be nobody at home to sign for it.Like an idiot I put TOP CAT as the receiver,his neighbour refused to sign,it ended up at his local P,O.They refused to hand it over as he could,nt prove his name was TOP CAT..Idiot mistake #2.I did,nt put a return address.Lost his original item inside the parcel and the replacement item I spent days designing and producing.I emailed Royal mail 5 times with the item barcode number explaining the trouble.. Not a single answer..Maybe that ended up on ebay... :laugh:

I still rate them higly though.. :congrats:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:27 am »
you shouldnt have to sent things recorded, first class should be a first class service and should be guarenteed to get delivered.

i spend £300 a day with royal mail first class CRL, and they manage to deliver about 97% of my mail.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

h4rdy

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 09:51:52 am »
you shouldnt have to sent things recorded, first class should be a first class service and should be guarenteed to get delivered.

i spend £300 a day with royal mail first class CRL, and they manage to deliver about 97% of my mail.

Can I say something out loud?

People are dishonest too.

I do quite a bit of eBaying and I am pretty sure people have had stuff and just said they never received it.

That is the main reason all my stuff goes Recorded.

Not because RM lose or steal.

Ever since I started to do that stuff always got there.

If somebody asks to send it non recorded to save money I always say no.

If you saw my building you would understand why sometimes things go missing for a while.

Also with the massive demands now and we have to mech it sometimes, as described before, stuff gets damaged.

Also stealing is completely frowned upon by 99.9999% of our staff, there will always be the odd rogue who always gets sacked and prosecuted.

The so called investigative journalism TV programs are way far fetched, and in my time I have only witnessed one case and I was shocked at that because the person in question didn't need to do it. I think they had some issues.

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 09:52:44 am »
On the while the RM service is good.

although have had a parcel disappear as apprently my work building does not exist....so not sure what building I currently sit in.  I think like most organisations there a few who are clearly not up to the job and sadly they are ones everyone remembers.

my local postie is very good and does deliver a first class service.

My only bug with the system is if you get an item sent requiring a signiture and your not in they leave at a neighbour, I know this might seem helpful but if you don't like them or they are dishonest I could see an issue

h4rdy

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:55:03 am »
Get friendly with your postie, buy him a bottle of cheap whisky for Christmas and ask him nicely to take it back to the Post Office?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 09:57:10 am »
+1. I've had one package go missing out of the hundreds of letters and parcels I've sent/received.

My only bug with the system is if you get an item sent requiring a signiture and your not in they leave at a neighbour, I know this might seem helpful but if you don't like them or they are dishonest I could see an issue
I've never had RM leave a parcel with a neighbour, ever! Yet the likes of UPS seem to want to do this.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

h4rdy

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 10:03:48 am »
+1. I've had one package go missing out of the hundreds of letters and parcels I've sent/received.

I've never had RM leave a parcel with a neighbour, ever! Yet the likes of UPS seem to want to do this.

Amazon via City Link do this now as well as they use a cheap service.