Make a donation

Author Topic: ATTENTION! All Porsche fans....  (Read 8309 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: ATTENTION! All Porsche fans....
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 01:02:49 pm »
The nomenclature around the R is a bit odd, that's usually only for the homologation cars. I'm not sure they'd have let the marketing dept. run away with that usage of the R for no good reason and sully its use. I'd have expected a tarted up only to be named a CS.

There's also the Boxter version which is called a Spyder and not a Boxter R - there's going to be a reason somewhere.

My thoughts, they're going to start producing a Cayman RS race/track car off the back of this.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:10:03 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 01:07:51 pm »
Blake-R, in quoting me you're suggesting I stated that it was a poor man's Porsche. I've never subscribed to that opinion. I wholeheartedly agree that every Porsche is special. However, to put this in perspective, Porsche has named this Cayman after one of the most special limited edition cars they ever produced, and as such it is not unreasonable to expect it is more than a breathed on Cayman S. No doubt it's a great car, but it's not a great special edition.

Andrew, sorry i did not mean that to sound like i was aiming this at you at all, sorry if it came across that way buddy, i just mean in general that a lot of peoples perspective of the Boxster and Cayman range is a poor mans Porsche. I will agree that they do seem to give out badges very easily now! It's like the speedster, what has really been improved on this? Just some body work changes as far as i'm aware?.

Honda have also done the same with the Mugen 200 type r! all they have done is stick some cosmetic bits onto it! There is a Mugen performance part even on the car, silly.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 01:12:28 pm »
I am in love with this car!  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 01:16:30 pm »
Robin, dont take it all so personally, no one is telling you what you should or shouldn't have or what suits you. But there are a few of us who apparently care a little more about prestiege and heritage and are of the opinion that this car simply doesnt warrant the marque.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 02:10:11 pm »
Until it's established if it is a homologation car or not, you can't make a call on its "worth".
Sideways yo!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 02:27:18 pm »
Had the Cayman S, very very accomplished car.

Unfortunately until they sort out the Steering wheel/Pedal/Seat alignment, or I have a back operation ( accomodating the off side Front wheel kicks the pedals off to the left) , it is not for me.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 02:57:14 pm »
It's Porsche marketing I have beef with.

You only have to look at the 911 range to see how thinly they're spreading things. Line-up is currently: Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera Cabriolet, Carrera S Cabriolet, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Carrera 4S Cabriolet, Carrera GTS, Carrera GTS Cabriolet, Targa 4, Targa 4S, Turbo, Turbo S, Turbo Cabriolet, Turbo S Cabriolet, GT3, GT3 RS, GT2 RS and the Speedster!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:58:52 pm by simonp »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 03:11:39 pm »
still a cheap mans porsche.  :P

Does that mean a Golf GTi is a cheap mans Golf as it's not a Golf R :popcornsoda: :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:13:13 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 03:22:39 pm »
still a cheap mans porsche.  :P

Does that mean a Golf GTi is a cheap mans Golf as it's not a Golf R :popcornsoda: :evilgrin:

.... :signLOL:    Very good!  :congrats:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 03:27:14 pm »
Blake-R, in quoting me you're suggesting I stated that it was a poor man's Porsche. I've never subscribed to that opinion. I wholeheartedly agree that every Porsche is special. However, to put this in perspective, Porsche has named this Cayman after one of the most special limited edition cars they ever produced, and as such it is not unreasonable to expect it is more than a breathed on Cayman S. No doubt it's a great car, but it's not a great special edition.

Andrew i've actually just noticed i was quoting Joesgti about the cheap mans Porsche thing, not you!! haha.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »
Beautiful car and I'm sure it will go and handle like the proverbial s**t off a shovel, but I still like the 911. Steve Jr has just bought a 997 Turbo fully loaded with all the carbon pack and PCCB 380mm front and 350mm rear brakes -mmmmm and with the performance kit that will be going on it OMFG!!!! :surprised:

Now if porsche grew a pair and turbo'd the Cayman - that would be a car to drool over :drool:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 09:09:40 pm »
Oh, there's plenty of places doing engine conversions on Caymans...... right up your street!!
Sideways yo!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:29 pm »
Yep parr do a turbo conversion providing a safe 400-450bhp for £9k, lsd and some bilstein coils £3k on top of a £20-25k 2nd hand cayman will have you a weapon, does 11s 1/4m

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »
Yep parr do a turbo conversion providing a safe 400-450bhp for £9k, lsd and some bilstein coils £3k on top of a £20-25k 2nd hand cayman will have you a weapon, does 11s 1/4m

Yeah, I've read the EVO review of the Parr conversion and like it a lot, but for me I'd much prefer an OEM Turbo'd Cayman with PDK :happy2:

400bhp turbo, with LSD, PDK and all the trimmings, whilst weighing less than 1400kg would be a big seller for Porsche and a great platform for some extra "tweaking" :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 08:32:14 am »
 :happy2:

Gets my vote but I'd need the toys in the car as it's not just a track plaything.

Though It'd be a 911 for me I think, I'd need the rear "seats" else I'd never be allowed it in the driveway   :sad1:

Always wanted one, they still stir my loins a little, however the 996 engine blow ups continually make me extremely nervous to get myself into a porker. :scared: