Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone had their GTI mapped by "more-bhp.com"  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Matthew.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Anyone had their GTI mapped by "more-bhp.com"
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:29:02 pm »
Hi guys, as above, has anyone had their GTI mapped by more-bhp.com?

They are doing a special £249 price for a map?

Cheers
2006 Golf GTI - Diamond Black Pearl - Edition 30 Pescaras - Armrest - CD Multi-changer - Colour Coded Rear Valance

Progress thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65230.new.html#new

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Re: Anyone had their GTI mapped by "more-bhp.com"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:22:32 pm »
Yup.. Got the switchable map from them.. My nephews 53plate polo GTI was mapped there too,and his new scirocco is booked in now.Polo GTI ran for 3 years on their map with no issues..My map has been on since Feb,but going to switch back to stock for the winter...Get ready for the you get what you pay for comments..  :signLOL:

edit   56plate polo gti
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:28:43 pm by gulfstream11 »

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:35:18 pm »
Yup.. Got the switchable map from them.. My nephews 53plate polo GTI was mapped there too,and his new scirocco is booked in now.Polo GTI ran for 3 years on their map with no issues..My map has been on since Feb,but going to switch back to stock for the winter...Get ready for the you get what you pay for comments..  :signLOL:

....I can't argue with that  :happy2:

It's just a pity that they chose a name such as "more-bhp.com" - It doesn't inspire confidence.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:51:29 pm »
Damn Right RR.. Sounds like some geezer in a pub taking backhanders... :grin:

Offline Matthew.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:53:50 pm »
My thoughts exactly Robin. Heard a few good things about them though, and for £249 you can't really go wrong....(famous last words) lol

So do they do a switchable map then like Revo?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:25:17 pm by matt8586 »
2006 Golf GTI - Diamond Black Pearl - Edition 30 Pescaras - Armrest - CD Multi-changer - Colour Coded Rear Valance

Progress thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65230.new.html#new

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:00:02 pm »
Yes.. Its called the MFlash.. Its on the website check it out..The console is  similar in design to the Shark performance on so I,m told...

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:00:21 pm »
Do they still use DNA maps?
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:48:05 am »
Their MFlash unit looks similar to those sold by others made by Alientech .... Be aware that though apparently a good device it may not reset the flash counter on your ECU. 

It may / probably does clear fault codes created in the remap / reflash process in the main ECU but won't clear fault codes from other control units which get created when those control units have lost contact with the main ECU as a result of the reflash.

This is not something I was aware of when I had my Golf Edition 30 ... I used Bluefin which did - so they said - reset the flash counter ... but doesn't clear all fault codes other than those in the main ECU.  None of these reflash devices can. It has put me off them somewhat - though the principle of being able to revert to standard appeals.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:59:58 am »

This is not something I was aware of when I had my Golf Edition 30 ... I used Bluefin which did - so they said - reset the flash counter ... but doesn't clear all fault codes other than those in the main ECU.  None of these reflash devices can. It has put me off them somewhat - though the principle of being able to revert to standard appeals.

....Unless someone is wanting to pull the wool over the eyes of a VW dealer or insurer, which is very stupid imo, I don't see that it matters whether flash counters are reset or not.

The ability to revert to a 'standard' performance map is extremely useful though, both in initial diagnosis and nursing a problem.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:02:44 am »
I declared my remap ... but wanted to put the car back to standard when I sold it - which I did  :smiley:

My only mistake was selling the car in the first place  :sad1:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 11:09:55 am »
....Unless someone is wanting to pull the wool over the eyes of a VW dealer or insurer, which is very stupid imo, I don't see that it matters whether flash counters are reset or not.

The ability to revert to a 'standard' performance map is extremely useful though, both in initial diagnosis and nursing a problem.

At the end of the day Robin if the car doesn't scream modified and drives like a stock car then lots of important questions can be avoided. I am all for telling the insurers however what the dealer doesn't know wont hurt him.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »
The unit that pretty much all tuners use is the Alientech ST3 which is an ok tool, it doesnt reset flash counters but thats not a problem for 99% of people.

Pay the £249 and get it logged by someone that knows what they are doing, maybe a dyno test is a good idea as well, you wont have the adjustability and precision of a well set up map such as Revo but you get what you pay for, as far as generic 'flash' maps go you cant complain at £249.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 04:13:42 pm »

At the end of the day Robin if the car doesn't scream modified and drives like a stock car then lots of important questions can be avoided. I am all for telling the insurers however what the dealer doesn't know wont hurt him.

....Hmm, "important questions can be avoided" really does sound as if you would have something to hide. I suppose it depends on your relationship with your dealer and their attitude. I much prefer to be very open and honest with such people at those levels - It's much easier all round and people respect it and usually respond in my favour.