Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf r mk5 not mk6 engine?  (Read 11039 times)

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Golf r mk5 not mk6 engine?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 12:47:36 pm »

Do you have the original one still ?

yup it's still on the car.  :smiley:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 05:57:15 pm »

Do you have the original one still ?

yup it's still on the car.  :smiley:

??? How come

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 05:58:43 pm »
lol cos 2 is better than 1   :wink:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »
EA888 (MkVI) is cheaper and easier (read: quicker) to build. There's been some debate as to whether it's stronger or not. On paper, the block (a different grade of cast iron) is supposed to be a better design and is stronger (boost friendly) whilst being lighter. However, I've been told by of a friend on the 'inside' that the tolerances are much lower and it's not as 'over-engineered' as its predecessor, i.e. ancillaries and other components can not cope when the power is turned up. I believe VWR have blown up a couple in the name of research but lessons have been learnt and power outputs are creeping up.

Late US model MkV GTI's also came with this engine, I would imagine for emissions and production reasons.

EA113 (MkV) is an older design (original design nearly 20 years old), but is arguably more resilient and can handle more power (in all of it's various guises). Development cost and lead-time were what drove VW to use the older engine for the current R models.

One of the more interesting features off the EA888 is the turbo. AFAIK, the European MkVI GTI still uses a BW/KKK K03. The current Ocatavia VRs uses the same engine but with an IHI turbo - which apparently sits quite nicely between the K03 and K04 in terms of lag and punch.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 04:17:45 pm »
hmm, I thought that all the mk6 TSI gtis came with an IHI turbo...   :confused:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 04:32:43 pm »
Just asking out of interest, but I don't suppose the IHI turbo fits the K03 turbo'd Mk5 TFSI engine?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 04:42:41 pm »
hmm, I thought that all the mk6 TSI gtis came with an IHI turbo...   :confused:
#

me to. also the vRS has the identical engine to the mk6 gti, only running 200ps though

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 05:17:22 pm »
To add to the confusion my understanding is that there is also a separate Audi version of the TSI MK6 lump still only 211ps but with a load more torque due to variable valve timing 350NM compared to the 280 of the Rocco and Mk6 even though the ps figure is only 1 down!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 07:17:27 pm »
Just asking out of interest, but I don't suppose the IHI turbo fits the K03 turbo'd Mk5 TFSI engine?

No RR it doesn't on it's own as you need the matching exhaust manifold as well.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 07:29:46 pm »

Well not the turbo on its own but the whole Mani/Turbo combo?

Is the TSI mani (exhaust port spacing etc on the block) different to that of the TFSI?

in any case the engine/turbo is "matched" so not sure how that new turbo would fair on the old engine in all honsety even if the exhaust mani goes on identically and the old DP fits onto the new turbo in same location.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 07:59:53 pm »

Well not the turbo on its own but the whole Mani/Turbo combo?

Is the TSI mani (exhaust port spacing etc on the block) different to that of the TFSI?

in any case the engine/turbo is "matched" so not sure how that new turbo would fair on the old engine in all honsety even if the exhaust mani goes on identically and the old DP fits onto the new turbo in same location.

Dont see how it wouldn't work with a custom map if you could fit it, in the same way a ko3 engine isn't built to work with a ko4 but they can be converted.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 08:14:42 pm »
dont see how it wouldn't work with a custom map if you could fit it, in the same way a ko3 engine isn't built to work with a ko4 but they can be converted.

ah but the old engine was u see...only a few internal bits are different. block is same hence K04 Mani bolts straight on.

the new engine is different in many more ways i say.

but someone can find out for us if they want!  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 08:24:56 pm »
dont see how it wouldn't work with a custom map if you could fit it, in the same way a ko3 engine isn't built to work with a ko4 but they can be converted.

ah but the old engine was u see...only a few internal bits are different. block is same hence K04 Mani bolts straight on.

the new engine is different in many more ways i say.

but someone can find out for us if they want!  :happy2:

Thats not for me chungster I'm not much of a modder, i'm just really interested in this stuff and I understand what has pricked RR interest's having a boost level higher than the ko3 but sppols up quicker than a ko4 its a great middle ground possibly without the need for uprated internals  :drool: perfect for a ko3 guy with a power fetish.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »
K04 works great on the old engine really he doesn't need this fancy new turbo lol

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 09:19:02 pm »
To add to the confusion my understanding is that there is also a separate Audi version of the TSI MK6 lump still only 211ps but with a load more torque due to variable valve timing 350NM compared to the 280 of the Rocco and Mk6 even though the ps figure is only 1 down!

I believe this is true - and it gets better mpg to boot ...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant