Make a donation

Author Topic: Has anyone got an ED30 will a milltek exhaust? bit of help please!  (Read 9139 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: Has anyone got an ED30 will a milltek exhaust? bit of help please!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 06:01:34 pm »
This has been an 'issue' since Milltek started welding on the tailpipes rather than having them on adjustable clamps. If it was a new system then things would have been a lot simpler but as its 2nd hand the history of the exhaust is unknown.

You have 2 options really, you can slide the centre section forward a little so that the tailpipes protrude a little more but then the hangers wont line up perfectly and they will stretch towards the back of the car slightly. The other side effect is that the overlap on the centre pipe only has around 10mm more movement towards the back of the car before the expansion gaps in the exhaust will allow gasses to leak out.

So we might be able to get another 10mm of length on the system, if you want us to try, just call the office and arrange to bring it in. :happy2:

My Eddy had a cat back Milly, and it sat wrong.  With it seated correctly at the front 2 joints (to stop gas leakage) it sat about an inch under the valence.

With it flush at the valence, it leaked from the joint to the OEM downpipe.  Never got it sorted, just a pain in the aris.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 06:46:01 pm »
The ED30 tailpipes have always been welded on!  :confused:

Oh and they don't look right that far in, I've never seen any fitted like that.........

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 07:13:57 pm »

quite a  big difference  :stupid:

It could also be down the manufacturing process aswell....

Saint Steve

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 07:23:13 pm »
That just needs turning, the left pipe is out too far, and the right ones too far in.

Re-align should sort that out.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 08:31:31 pm »
This has been an 'issue' since Milltek started welding on the tailpipes rather than having them on adjustable clamps. If it was a new system then things would have been a lot simpler but as its 2nd hand the history of the exhaust is unknown.

You have 2 options really, you can slide the centre section forward a little so that the tailpipes protrude a little more but then the hangers wont line up perfectly and they will stretch towards the back of the car slightly. The other side effect is that the overlap on the centre pipe only has around 10mm more movement towards the back of the car before the expansion gaps in the exhaust will allow gasses to leak out.

So we might be able to get another 10mm of length on the system, if you want us to try, just call the office and arrange to bring it in. :happy2:

My Eddy had a cat back Milly, and it sat wrong.  With it seated correctly at the front 2 joints (to stop gas leakage) it sat about an inch under the valence.

With it flush at the valence, it leaked from the joint to the OEM downpipe.  Never got it sorted, just a pain in the aris.

This is the exact problem with this system, it seems hit and miss as to which system is effected, wether its a difference in the car or the exhaust I dont know.....

Its not a problem with the rear section but with the joint between the centre section and downpipe and the position of the hangers. If you line up the hangers perfectly and sleeve the 2 sections together correctly this is how the exhaust sits, so you have to weigh up the correct fitment against aesthetics. 

Offline budge28

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »
Yea you cant really turn the back box, its on hangers each side and just sits there so wont really twist.

Sliding it out the middle part might bring it round slightly though. (being carefull not to move the whole box to the right!)

Might be interesting to see where the backbox sits with no middle part connected, just on the rubbers, see where it sits. Then you will no what part it is.

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 10:05:54 pm »
Yea you cant really turn the back box, its on hangers each side and just sits there so wont really twist.

Sliding it out the middle part might bring it round slightly though. (being carefull not to move the whole box to the right!)

Might be interesting to see where the backbox sits with no middle part connected, just on the rubbers, see where it sits. Then you will no what part it is.

Hope Dave has no work on then...............
not likely!
I might be lucky and get 20mins on the lifter :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 11:12:52 pm »

Hope Dave has no work on then...............
not likely!
I might be lucky and get 20mins on the lifter :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
if Dave is to busy have a drive through to richmond and i will stick it on my ramp

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 09:39:46 am »
How are you finding the car now you've got the TBE and stage 2 mate?

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »
How are you finding the car now you've got the TBE and stage 2 mate?
I was dissappointed in the sound of the exhaust as its no different from stock, but I found the turbo spooled up quicker and had better low down power than before. But the way the weather has been, I just get traction control lights flashing if I put my foot down, also the tyres on the car are rubbish which doesnt help.
I did notice a difference in power delivery from both mods straight after though.
I'm switching to revo and getting a HPFP next year anyway,  bluefin stage 2 was only £50, so was worth a look :wink:
I see how it fairs at the magical motorscope rolling road in january :signLOL:

h4rdy

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »
I have heard a lot of people say the Resonated Milltek is quieter than stock.

So I am not surprised with your comments about it being no different than stock.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 05:56:53 pm »
My res system was similar to stock when cruising, but still barked on WOT, especially if you're outside the car  :laugh:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 06:34:05 pm »
From about 5k revs with a lead boot its louder from the cabin :grin:
but on idle and normal driving its the same. I might get the non resonated pipe next year, still in two minds with that though cos I dont want to end up with the dreaded drone at 70 - 80mph :scared:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 07:04:47 pm »
From about 5k revs with a lead boot its louder from the cabin :grin:
but on idle and normal driving its the same. I might get the non resonated pipe next year, still in two minds with that though cos I dont want to end up with the dreaded drone at 70 - 80mph :scared:

But that's the whole point of the resonated system bud.. A lot of people don't want a loud exhaust when driving normally. They just want a fruity sound when stretching there right toes..  :smiley:
There is also the VWR cat back system to think about. That's sort of in the middle of res and non res and it's noticably louder than a res system inside and out, trust me  :wink:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »
I went back to PDT and the refitted the exhaust so it was further back for me. The exhaust trims sit better, but like Dave said, the hangers seem ridiculously stretched to achieve this

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:25:30 pm by heavyd »