Make a donation

Author Topic: RS3 Announced  (Read 46027 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: RS3 Announced
« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2011, 06:46:06 pm »

Robin strikes me as the kind of gent about town who may have owned a pair in his time. I imagine they're not easy to remove.

.... :laugh: You're absolutely dead right! I used to have a pair of very dark blue leather trousers back in the days of Elton John style stack heel multi coloured shoes. Later, in the days of Roxy music I had green streaked hair. The King's Road Chelsea was a literally a daily haunt.

I haven't sat in leather Recaro's but was in a M3 recently and found the leather seats too slippy for my liking. My RS3 test drive will be the proof of the pudding. Actually, I've just now remembered that I have recently been passenger in a Mk5 GTI with leather Recaro's and found it too slippy - Not very slippy but enough for me to notice.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:33 pm »
Hee hee. I demand pics.

Odd though, I was listening to Roxy music today whilst everyone had decided to abandon me in the office today. Great stuff, no Talking Heads though!
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2011, 07:08:51 pm »
^^^^
If I had pics I'd post them just for the laugh but unfortunately I don't. Roxy gave me free tickets and a photographer's pass when they first started and hadn't made it big yet. Was in the days of Eno and Bryan Ferry in a matador's jacket - Such style! "Avalon" is still one of my favourite Roxy songs, also "Out Of The Blue" is one to fly to! All of the band are great musicians.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:36 pm »
They just had a gift for everything, I wish I had musical talent and could see that kind of world. Ahh, the 80's were the shiznit. I wish I'd been of an age to enjoy them properly. Still my favourite era of music on the whole though I think - electronica, opulence and everything at 11.

Saying that, you can't argue with the proper pioneers, we're currently smashing Led Zep through the house.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:30 pm »
^^^^
Oh yes! LedZep (TC loves them too). Was at their 1970's gig in London, shared a girlfriend with Jimmy Page for a short while (half-Asian half Japanese chick - A beautiful butterfly!). A good friend, Bob Freeman, worked as film cameraman with them too - Lots of connections but I'm sounding like I'm boasting. Just fond memories and a time in my life I'll never forget. Thanks for bringing them to my mind, Mike  :drinking:

Good vid of them live:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcF4vNa61U&feature=related < Jimmy Page, guitar  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:   

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #260 on: February 15, 2011, 02:40:35 pm »
Back on topic:

I had a read of latest EVO mag in WHSmith's public library, in which there was a 2-page spread on the new RS3. It seems the opportunity to the gentlemen of the press to drive the RS3 in Canada was a bit limited (also borne out by Top Gear mag's report). Journo's seem to be saying it's a little heavy, lacks feedback, but otherwise seems very promising and they look forward to test driving it more fully.

Apparently Audi based their S-tronic decision on the noticeably big demand they saw on the flappy paddle version of the TTRS. They insist that the 3-door version is the TTRS.  

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2011, 08:02:28 pm »
Was just looking at the stats, and the SB is only 3" longer than the 3 door..................

Still got Sh!t Tronic box though!  Bah!  Went to chat with Audi whilst the Roc was getting serviced.

It seems no plans to stick a real gearbox in it!  I could live with SB (it will fit nicely in the garage) but not the Gearbox.

Had a look at a TTRS too, very nice, not as nice as the R8 V10 Spider next to it.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #262 on: February 21, 2011, 08:12:57 pm »
Journo's seem to be saying it's a little heavy, lacks feedback, but otherwise seems very promising and they look forward to test driving it more fully.
thats the norm with audi and VAG even.  compared to the alternatives they often lack feel.  Maybe not as focussed as say a mitsubishi EVO FQ360, but id still take the audi all day long

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:07 pm »
will the RS3 understeer like the RS5 did on TG last night tho.

I think it might!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2011, 09:49:02 pm »

will the RS3 understeer like the RS5 did on TG last night tho.

I think it might!

....Do you think that's why Audi have the wider tyres and track on the RS3's front?

How on earth does a car like the RS5 get as far as production with that degree of understeer not getting sorted?  :stupid: Especially from Audi.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #265 on: February 21, 2011, 09:54:01 pm »
....Do you think that's why Audi have the wider tyres and track on the RS3's front?

How on earth does a car like the RS5 get as far as production with that degree of understeer not getting sorted?  :stupid: Especially from Audi.

I'm not sure the 235 vs 225 F/R will make all that much difference really. But it's a sure sign it's more front driven than rear driven and it needs assistance to get front end gripping. Hmmm. Sure Hurdy will get that Haldex controller on it from day 1 to get it handling right  :grin:

That RS5 vs M3 in cornering was just shocking. It's designed for straight roads.(i.e AMERICA)
More GT car for long cruises than driver involvement and enjoyment in the twisties. 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #266 on: February 21, 2011, 10:44:43 pm »

That RS5 vs M3 in cornering was just shocking. It's designed for straight roads.(i.e AMERICA)
More GT car for long cruises than driver involvement and enjoyment in the twisties.

....Then it somewhat contradicts what the whole Audi RS badge is meant to represent  :sad1:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ql69h4t2ch1aj5cu4tlff42lus&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #267 on: February 22, 2011, 08:47:11 pm »
Lee all VAG cars understeer, or at least that's the way is seems to me. That RS5 'should' stick to a track like glue, and I'm sure it can be made to do so, but audi seem to think understeer is safer/better.

My dads quattro A5 also understeers.

Will the RS3 understeer? Just like you lee... Yes (IMO)... Infact it might be worse as it isn't perrma4x4
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:51:15 pm by richwig83 »

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
Not sure of anyone has seen this over on VAGOC yet?

http://vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=7874

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58:06 pm »
Yuk...don't like them seat backs at all and the red inserts are too much. :sick:

Cheers,

Wayne