Make a donation

Author Topic: what air intake and exhaust  (Read 2276 times)

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
what air intake and exhaust
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:05:11 pm »
hello all,

i have a 2007 gti dsg with a remap, i want to upgrade my air intake and exhaust but i dont no what to go for??

i am unlikly to do any further engin mods than this, i am going to change brakes and springs soon.

i would like the noise to increase slightly and dont mind it being loud when pushing on, but when cruising moterways or around town, dont want it sounding like a saxo lol

thanks
tom

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: what air intake and exhaust
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 06:11:41 pm »
budget?

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:16:49 pm »
i dont mind realy i just want to find out what other people have fitted to there cars and there opnions of them then i will decide :)

tom

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:22:08 pm »
On exhausts, Milltek, APR, and Blueflame (if still in business) are the favourites here.

On intakes, ITG, Forge Twintake, and Evoms are the favourites.

I favour Milltek high-flow and Twintake and find the sounds just right - Enjoyable but not chavvy. HTH  :smiley:

Check out the Reviews section: SteveP's ITG and RedRobin's (whoever he is) Twintake.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:24:12 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:22:21 pm »
the top three rated intake son here and the other vag forums seems to be

ITG maxogen
Forge twintake
Evoms powerflow

alternatives are

BDM intake (practically identical to ITG)
BSH true seal
Dbilias

All the good ones are around the £300 region.  in all fairness unless chasing figures which it seems your not any of them will do what you want as they all give excellent gains and additional noise.  iirc BDM have a group buy on their intake on here.  there are also reviews on the ITG, Twintake and BDM intake in the product review section.

Exhaust- i dont think you need to bother with the cat back part of the exhaust.  £500 will get you a nice 3" downpipe which will give the performance gains, as well as a lovely deeper burble.  this is what i had and when i added the cat back i regretted it, although it was immense when on full revs

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 06:31:33 pm »
why did you regret getting the cat back part, no im not chsing figuers i just want to enjoy my car and make a few mods as i do :)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:48:18 pm »
why did you regret getting the cat back part, no im not chsing figuers i just want to enjoy my car and make a few mods as i do :)

because if i wanted to stick my foot down when i had just the downpipe/intake and stage 2 on the car, i could and it didnt draw much attention.  when i fitted the cat back part of the exhaust when i wanted to stick my foot down everyone within 1 mile radius was aware i was doing it, so i ended up driving alot slower.

sounded ace on track though

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 06:54:26 pm »
^^^^
I enjoy hearing it when I stick my foot down and it's quite sophisticated when just cruising (Milltek).

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 10:23:34 pm »
I have an EVOMS on my vRS, it sounds awesome and seems to make a difference even on a stage 1 map, next step will be stage 2 and the addition of a high flow dp, I have been debating over whether to go sport cat or de-cat for a while, its really a question of cost, if I were you I would have a look at this pipewerx in the for sale section, if it fitted the vRS I would have it, as the new pipe is £465..................
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22070.0.html

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 05:23:22 pm »
I went for the milltek full system (TBE 3") with the resonator box, you get all the power with none of the noise, not for those that want serious sound, but if you want pretty much stock silencing and all the power definitley the way to go. also perfect on the motorway (basically stock sound and no resonance) I also went for the ITG, awesome system but hardly quiet, can pretty much hear every pressure change, but I like it, but sound very localised to your car, so doesn't wake up plod having a snooze in the layby or get you into a contest with the 17yr olds and their saxo's  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 09:15:10 pm »
I know I've said this before but not in this thread: If you fit the same intake to a variety of cars (all the cars being the same type - for example Mk5 GTI), the sound in the cabin will vary from car to car according to other modifications which can influence the sounds. Also factor in that each of us can have a slightly different range of hearing, and the result is very subjective indeed. Additionally influenced by our personal preferences.