Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering rack sensor  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Jack Frost

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Steering rack sensor
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:10:05 pm »
I am in the process of buying a 2008 Gti. I had noticed on the test drive that one of the dash lamps were on - the steering wheel one. Turns out that when the car was taken to VW they said that the steering rack needs to be replaced as the steering rack sensor is knackered at a cost of £1200 which the warranty will not cover as it is an import.

I have read reports of the steering angle sensor going but not the steering rack sensor.

Garage I am buying from apparantly know of someone who can fix this without replcing the rack.

Any ideas most welcome as I find it hard to believe that a sensor cannot be replaced.

Offline smokeybubbles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Steering rack sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:53:55 pm »
did you get anywhere with this one?  i have the same light and diagnosis on mine.  £1200 is a lot of money...

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:59:00 pm »
When you do a steering wheel retro fit you get an orange steering wheel light come on and you loose the power steering which has to be reset with basic setting through vcds.

But seeing as you test drove it youd of noticed if the power steering wasnt working.

Im sure someone with much more knowledge will be along shortly.

Lee.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:13:19 pm »
I would suggest that you have your car scanned, and rule out any other minor issues.
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Jack Frost

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 08:30:42 am »
Turned out it couldn't be fixed so was replaced at a cost of £900 plus wheel alignment (none of which was paid by me).

Couldn't tell the difference with old or new one though !