• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
My GTI
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:11:31 am »
Here's my GTI. It has rather a nice spec:
* GTI cloth seats
* Winter pack (heated seats, heated mirrors)
* Dual Climate
* Factory bi-xenons
* Highline computer
* Multi-function steering wheel
* Cruise control
* 18" Monzas

And most importantly of course, it's red.

I very much like it so far, the only mod I have made is the cruise control (£122 fitted, bargain). Plans extend only as far as changing the Monza 18s for 17s as I prefer the drive on 17s. I just need to find a good set for a fair price then get a good price for my wheels.

Offline Hevoshullu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Re: My GTI
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:33:00 am »
Nice clean GTI with the correct colour of course.  :happy2:

I just want to add that if you are going for 17" wheels because of comfort, I would rather look at tyres (for your gorgeous 18s) that have a soft sidewall and therefore are more compliant on the road. Two good examples of tyres with softer sidewalls would be the Continental CSC3's (I don't know about CSC5 though??) and Goodyear Assy 2's. The difference in comfort between 17s and 18s with the same tyre is quite small if existent, IMO. And, if you're going for the original 17" Denver wheels, they will look much smaller and duller in comparison to the bigger two-toned Monzas. The thing about Monzas is that they actually look bigger than they are (they create some clever optical illusion) so changing them to 17s will feel like you've just put on 16" wheels, if you know what I mean. I don't know why I am raving on about this as it's everyone's personal choice, but I think your car looks so good as it is.   :laugh: Could do with a little lowering though.  :wink:

Offline TurboHatchback

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:49:26 am »
Nice clean GTI with the correct colour of course.  :happy2:

I just want to add that if you are going for 17" wheels because of comfort, I would rather look at tyres (for your gorgeous 18s) that have a soft sidewall and therefore are more compliant on the road. Two good examples of tyres with softer sidewalls would be the Continental CSC3's (I don't know about CSC5 though??) and Goodyear Assy 2's. The difference in comfort between 17s and 18s with the same tyre is quite small if existent, IMO. And, if you're going for the original 17" Denver wheels, they will look much smaller and duller in comparison to the bigger two-toned Monzas. The thing about Monzas is that they actually look bigger than they are (they create some clever optical illusion) so changing them to 17s will feel like you've just put on 16" wheels, if you know what I mean. I don't know why I am raving on about this as it's everyone's personal choice, but I think your car looks so good as it is.   :laugh: Could do with a little lowering though.  :wink:

Thanks.

The tyres are a nearly new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s which are a really excellent tyre IMO. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all but to me the 18s are too big for a Golf, I actually prefer the look of the smaller wheels not to mention all the other benefits. As my 18s are so nice it seems to make sense to sell them to someone who will appreciate them, I'm just terrified of marking them and would rather have the smaller wheel. For me the Golf is all about the drive and the practicality not looks and worrying about my big shiny wheels detracts a bit from that.

There won't be any lowering going on though, that's not really my thing  :wink:.

Offline Sjw_Vw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 09:57:32 am »
Stunning :happy2:
Instagram - sjw_vw. Updated all the time :)

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 09:28:06 am »
Nice GTI, looks mint for its age :happy2:

I've found 17s are more comfortable and discreet but they are also tyre sensitive. Easier to look after though as no diamond cut finish
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline jomatuom

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 07:44:49 pm »
Nice looking GTI, I prefer 18" wheels , fills the arches much nicer.

Offline TurboHatchback

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:08:06 am »
Thanks for the positive comments.

The hunt for some decent 17s continues, the trouble is I will only accept either the OE Bridgestone Potenzas or Michelin Pilot Sport 3s and most of the wheels for sale come with crappy tires that will need replacing thus costing rather more money :confused:. What do people reckon a really nice set of 18s with fairly new Pilot Sport 3s would fetch? This rather affects how much money I want to spend all in on the 17s & tyres.

Offline kyzersoze

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 02:11:59 am »
The colour really sticks out. Nice