Make a donation

Author Topic: Joff's Eddy updates bottom of the page !!  (Read 6683 times)

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Joff's Eddy updates bottom of the page !!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:12 pm »

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline Nayo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 01:26:31 am »
Did u get the car on dyno r wat bhp u got with those mods and stage 2?

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 07:06:00 am »
Did u get the car on dyno r wat bhp u got with those mods and stage 2?

I've not had chance yet get it on rollers yet , hopefully ill get it on to Statllers rollers soon.

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
Re: Joff's Ed30 updates bottom of page !!
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 07:25:39 am »
Handling stuff etc

CUT

Yeh get the handling sorted! Will be wicked. Get a ALK kit, I noticed the handling difference overnight. Got my roll bars f/r done aswell and again, the difference! Wow! Been chucking my golf into corners at some speed and really happy. Decent set of coilovers/springs help ofcourse! Deffo worth if you got power. I'm beating my mates S3 in corners now, which never really happened before!
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:55 am »
Cheers Jonnym

I'm in the process of getting a shopping list together now, but I don't have any real knowledge of handling
upgrades  :ashamed:

So what exactly do you have on your motor??  :happy2:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:02:30 am by Joff Gas »

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:02 pm »
Cheers Jonnym

I'm in the process of getting a shopping list together now, but I don't have any real knowledge of handling
upgrades  :ashamed:

So what exactly do you have on your motor??  :happy2:

I'm not a expert but I based my decision on what i've learnt (through eperience of spinning/mitigating my own problems) and what's on here.
At the moment i've got SuperPro ALK kit to the front suspension/console buses. An ALK kit, by it's very, will act to prevent any forces attempting to lift the car on, for example cornering/acceleration. The car therefore sits lower to the road when otherwise it would be raised slightly, has more grip because of the increased weight/mass and grips as a result. Simply better handling. ALK kit is a generic name but nonetheless do the same job. Could go on about positive caster/geometry etc etc but depends on how gripey you want it to be - although there will be a aspect of this. If you do i'll get my uni notes out!

Then roll bars. I like this video and demonstrates the potential benefits:

With roll bars, the bigger/thicker the front, the more understeer, but opposite for the rear (ie: the bigger/thicker the bar, the less understeer).
Loads of roll bars out there. Buy a set, front, rear, whatever. You then need to decide what settings you want depending on your driving style.
The difference is pretty crazy really.

One thing on my evergrowing list of changes to my golf, is to eventually polybush all my bushes. Just like the ALK kit, they all add to counter any lifting forces. Overall they tighten everything up, if anything a fresh bush compared to a 30/40/50,000 OEM bush just works better. Add it all together, everything is held in line and combined with other mods can give you masive benefits when on track or simply just wanting to corner fast.

The difference for was amazing. The ALK kit made soooooooooooo much difference. I left my car with Alex when I went off to do some training. Tbh, I was on the verge of giving up with it. The ride was awful and I didn't feel confident at all with it. I got back and drove home....just wow. Fresh set of coilovers helped clearly but you really feel it. The roll bars again just tighten everything up and help balance the car.

I've also got engine/transmission etc mounts which again help tighten everything engine etc wise up. Everything helps but above you'll feel the difference overnight.

:)

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 09:28:08 pm »
Cheers Jonnym

upgrades  :ashamed:

So what exactly do you have on your motor??  :happy2:

I'm not a expert but I based my decision on what i've learnt (through eperience of spinning/mitigating my own problems) and what's on here.
At the moment i've got SuperPro ALK kit to the front suspension/console buses. An ALK kit, by it's very, will act to prevent any forces attempting to lift the car on, for example cornering/acceleration. The car therefore sits lower to the road when otherwise it would be raised slightly, has more grip because of the increased weight/mass and grips as a result. Simply better handling. ALK kit is a generic name but nonetheless do the same job. Could go on about positive caster/geometry etc etc but depends on how gripey you want it to be - although there will be a aspect of this. If you do i'll get my uni notes out!

Then roll bars. I like this video and demonstrates the potential benefits:

With roll bars, the bigger/thicker the front, the more understeer, but opposite for the rear (ie: the bigger/thicker the bar, the less understeer).
Loads of roll bars out there. Buy a set, front, rear, whatever. You then need to decide what settings you want depending on your driving style.
The difference is pretty crazy really.

One thing on my evergrowing list of changes to my golf, is to eventually polybush all my bushes. Just like the ALK kit, they all add to counter any lifting forces. Overall they tighten everything up, if anything a fresh bush compared to a 30/40/50,000 OEM bush just works better. Add it all together, everything is held in line and combined with other mods can give you masive benefits when on track or simply just wanting to corner fast.

The difference for was amazing. The ALK kit made soooooooooooo much difference. I left my car with Alex when I went off to do some training. Tbh, I was on the verge of giving up with it. The ride was awful and I didn't feel confident at all with it. I got back and drove home....just wow. Fresh set of coilovers helped clearly but you really feel it. The roll bars again just tighten everything up and help balance the car.

I've also got engine/transmission etc mounts which again help tighten everything engine etc wise up. Everything helps but above you'll feel the difference overnight.
:)

Thanks for taking the time and effort to give a thorough response  :happy2:

All of the above makes sense and sounds like it will give me what I'm after really ( fast road set up) , it will also be good to   get all that power down and under control  :evilgrin:

Time to count the pennies an get some costings  :laugh:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:36:14 pm by Joff Gas »

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 09:46:20 pm »
Great looking car and some good mods on board.

Ive got the BCS Powervlave Sport TBE and love it. Leaning towards the LOBA HPFP myself.

Some really good advice above from JONNYM too.  :happy2:

As mentioned, add a Superpro ALK and at least the front wishbone bushes along with a lower engine mount and doggone bush (torque link, small end), look at vibra technics for these. Personally I'd just do the rear Anti Roll Bar, look at either Autotech (my one is great) or H&R with some upgraded ARB bushes for it, such as Superpro.

Coilovers FTW, Bilstein B12 or B14 (for adjustability) or H&R springs are very good.

Don't forget your BBK too, its needed.  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:44 pm »

Cheers mate,

Also loving the POWERvalve too, proper well built piece of kit and sounds mega !!

At the minute got some Apex Springs on and the car just don't sit right , so wanna get the ride height spot on too.
So leaning towards something Bilstein

So i think  ive got my shortlist together now :party:

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:57 pm »

Cheers mate,

Also loving the POWERvalve too, proper well built piece of kit and sounds mega !!

At the minute got some Apex Springs on and the car just don't sit right , so wanna get the ride height spot on too.
So leaning towards something Bilstein

So i think  ive got my shortlist together now :party:

Yeh I missed/didn't include stuff like lower mounts/dogbone bushes etc but picked up on by MC71 so thank you! Quite important really :smiley:

Power to ground is so important, especially on the golfs as they don't put power down as well as they could. Too many people, across all the makes etc, think power power power, with no thought to anything else. If you go big power, what's going to stop you when you haven't slowed down enough for a corner? Will the clutch take the power....and indeed can the power from the engine physically get to the wheels to put down! LSD etc is something maybe to look aswell. Cheap nasty stuff will destoy your golf....my old JOM coilovers were rubbish, so quality stuff will make such a difference - stance it right and it will beneift you speed wise aswell! I have THS mounts and can deffo vouch for them!

This is all sorta stuff I did at uni and loved it, hence getting my teeth into it! I'm too keen sometimes  :innocent: It all adds up, so keep adding!

I just got my bumper back from the bodyshop and have a powervalve exhaust to go......just need to determine when it can go on!! I want noise  :party:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:39:51 pm by jonnym »

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 09:55:44 pm »
Just found this thread after you commented on mine knowing where I took the pics I was intrigued! Lovely ed30 mate the roads in the Peak District are great for a good drive arnt they! Similar car history to me also I came from an e46 m3 and an 07 dsg r32 before that. Ended up going with the gti to save on spending but I'm suprised how much fun it is!  Anyways il get off your thread now!