Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter tyres - you have some?  (Read 16660 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: Winter tyres - you have some?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 04:32:03 pm »
mytyres have the Nokian GR tyres in stock at good prices if people are looking for winter tyres, most places are sold out already.

Offline calculon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 07:34:39 pm »
Put some Bridgestone Wintersport 3Ds on last week. In Belgium there is no law like in Germany that you need to adapt your car to the weather. I'm not really pro laws for everything, but if I see how Belgium grinds to a halt if there's only a little bit of snowfall, it wouldn't be a bad idea to enforce the same type of law like in Germany :-)

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 08:02:10 pm »
I've just put some Yokohama V902A W.Drive winter tyres on mine.. because of that, of course, it's been bright sunshine all day... :sad1:  I little bit of snow would be nice, purely for testing purposes!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »
Mine will be staying at home when its icy or snowing, but winter tyres are a good idea, I can spin the car up pretty easy now even with 4wd

Offline searly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 09:15:18 pm »
i was working in Austria last winter ,  when i picked up the car , was told it was on winter tyres .   I couldnot believe the speed people were zipping around .   Temp was - 15 during the day .  But will say 2 things ,   they are prepared and funded for bad wheather , the clearing operation is 24 / 7 .  not like this country ( ohh were running out of salt we have had a couple of bad weeks and we have non left )  snow ploughs every were.

2 ) The cold is different , get out of the hotel at 08.00 temp -10 /  -17 yet cars never needed scrapping , they were perectly clear .  the air just took your breath away , but not once did you ever feel the car was not in control on the roads

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 11:08:34 pm »
I just put 2 hankook icebear w300 on the front, made a massive difference. I only heard of winter tyres through this forum :rolleye:
I got stuck in the street before I went to the tyre fitters, had no wheelspin whatsoever on the way back :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 01:31:44 am »
I just put 2 hankook icebear w300 on the front, made a massive difference. I only heard of winter tyres through this forum :rolleye:
I got stuck in the street before I went to the tyre fitters, had no wheelspin whatsoever on the way back :happy2:

:rolleye: Really would try get some to go on the back also, it only takes one corner and the back goes round and your soon facing the wrong direction.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline icenutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 08:15:00 am »
People whine about the cost, the way i see it, its saving mileage on the summer tyres as well as saving your alloys and suspension for when you belt a kerb.
Also, if you are keeping a car for a while, then you probably get through a few sets of tyres anyway, so having two sets doesn't really cost more apart from the costs of swapping over.  i.e. if a set of tyres lasts 10,000 miles then you are just splitting that between two sets, so they last around a total of 20,000 miles between them.
Get all your sports nutrition products here; http://www.myprotein.co.uk and use the code MP73153 to get 5% off your first order.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 11:50:59 am »
Got up fairly early this morning to give the Yokos a bit of a test and so far the results are great!  :happy2:  No sign of wheelspin and the car felt stuck to the road..

Not surprising though as we've only had about 1" on snow overnight and the main roads had been gritted! :signLOL:

Driving round a car park that was still covered with snow was a bit easier than last year, when I just had my "not-far-off-slicks" Contis on!

More to follow I think.... 

Offline SKAVIA

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 9
    • Build thread
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »
I've just ordered a set of Pirelli Winter 240 Snowsports.
Will let you all know how they fair compared to Michelin PS2s (this is for my Audi not the Ed30) although we haven't had any snow in Surrey yet  :laugh:

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 08:05:06 pm »
I really wanted some Vredestein Wintracs but I think I'm gonna struggle to find some before January so I've ordered some Nokian WR G2's.
I'd almost dismissed the idea but got called out at work today down into the Cotswolds and was all over the place in the van so decided to shod my pride and joy with some
appropriate winter wheel wear.  Gotta make sense annit?

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 11:13:15 pm »
I really wanted some Vredestein Wintracs but I think I'm gonna struggle to find some before January so I've ordered some Nokian WR G2's.
I'd almost dismissed the idea but got called out at work today down into the Cotswolds and was all over the place in the van so decided to shod my pride and joy with some
appropriate winter wheel wear.  Gotta make sense annit?

Where did you get your Nokian WR G2's from?

I had placed an order with mytyres 4 days ago, for which they debited my account, got an email today to say they haven't got any stock in my size 17"  :fighting:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline parks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
  • Red ED30 No. 1778 Detailing World member
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 11:24:27 pm »
looks like the prices are going up on the tyres from the online retailers..
Standard: Rear parking sensors, Parrot Bluetooth
Retro fitted: MFSW buttons, RCD510, Boot pop, Black Monza II, Xenons, Audi jacking points, open fog light grills.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 07:07:21 am »
looks like the prices are going up on the tyres from the online retailers..

Yeh not much, I paid £130 for mine from Mytyres a few weeks back, they now want £232.00 !!!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54