Make a donation

Author Topic: Misfires at Idle, stock ED30  (Read 9676 times)

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Misfires at Idle, stock ED30
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 03:53:13 pm »
Hmm, I thought that there was a VW coil pack inspection and replacement program on certain year Golfs.
It's happening in the US and I'm pretty sure notices have been sent out for some cars in the UK.

This is the US link http://vwcoils.com/Page1.aspx
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline robdf2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 01:21:59 pm »
Ron  did you ever get to the bottom of the missfires?
mines back in SEAT today coming to the end of my warranty so trying to get it resolved.

Rob.
2008 Chrono yellow Cupra

Offline Ron, Edition30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »
Hi Rob,

I didn't get any further with mine. Had it checked under warranty and they didn't find any problems, had them state their response on the paperwork that the measuring blocks reported misfires might not be actual / real misfires. Something to fall back on incase it gets any worse now that the warranty has run out.

Otherwise the car drives well, if I didn't have VCDS I wouldn't have any other reasons to be concerned. Just think that either myself, the measuring blocks or both are slightly paranoid.

I plan to renew the OEM plugs soon to see if there's any change. Otherwise don't think there's much for me to worry about with mine unless someone in the know thinks otherwise.

Out of curiosity I went for a drive this afternoon and did log some occasional patches of reported misfires in cylinders 3 & 4 mainly at idle.

Had 3 or 4 patches like this in a 45 minute drive. Cars done 18k miles now.

Ron.

Edition30 - Reflex Silver - 3door - Manual - Highline - RNS-510 - Unmodified - No.1097

Offline robdf2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 09:34:47 pm »
Thanks fro the reply Ron,
I too had these missfires at idle about 8 or 10 in a 5 min period , i told SEAT they said its within parameters and they arnt really missfires  :stupid:
so i emailed ross tech and asked what does the missfire actually log? i asked them if they were phantom problems?
they said its a missfire if its detected using the missfire block then your car is missfiring , nothing else.

so one hand the dealer saying its ok on he other hand the software writer saying its not ok?
who to believe?
2008 Chrono yellow Cupra

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 08:36:22 am »
cmdfire summed it up perfectly  :happy2:
if you didnt have VCDS you wouldnt know any different
if VAG worried about it , theyd have set the 'trigger count' at a lower level.
if you do have an issue with spark plugs/coil packs or some other issue, it will soon escalate to the trigger level at which point you need to fix, otherwise I wouldnt give it a second thought.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD