Make a donation

Author Topic: Misting damp windows  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Misting damp windows
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:12:30 pm »
guys i have a really bad issue with steaming windows at the moment on the other halfs car.  is there anything that can be applied to the inside of the windscreen to stop it?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Misting damp windows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 03:41:42 pm »
More of a problem in cold weather (unless your missus has been out dogging, Sy  :evilgrin:) but I'd like to know the answers to this too.. So, subscribed.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Steve Baker

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:30:03 pm »
I'd check carpets for damp, may have a leaky door seal somewhere? Usually any dampness inside the car causes running windows in my experience. I had a replacement screen badly fitted and lead to a small leak and permanently wet windows inside the car!
Steve Baker

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:45:54 pm »
i did leave a window open slightly the other night.  although i let the car run for about an hour outside with the heaters on full to dry any moisture out

Offline alan_n

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:27:50 am »
I had this problem. Change your cabin/pollen filter, approx £6 from gsf, you'd be amazed how much crap accumulates on the filter leaving it slightly damp. Follow this up by giving the insides of the windows a good clean with a decent glass cleaner, make sure to give them a buff off with a clean microfibre afterwards to ensure all residue is gone. This should solve your problem unless you do have a small leak.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 08:24:43 am »
Ditto to that. I use AG glass cleaner, & apply it every couple of weeks, or as soon as the windows mist. It's startling how dirty the cloth is when buffing it off, mostly from the rear screen in my experience.

Obviously when you have a car full of damp passengers, the glass will mist whatever you do!
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

hugh jass

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 07:04:22 pm »
guys i have a really bad issue with steaming windows at the moment on the other halfs car.  is there anything that can be applied to the inside of the windscreen to stop it?
I have the same problem but only in the rear O/S window.The steaming up only occurs where the glass and velvet like material come into contact with each other.I have noticed this during warm and colder conditions and not sure where the dampness is coming from.
  Maybe a new door seal would help but if anyone can help please do :drinking:
 Incidently this is the only problem Ive had with the car in over three years and 40000 miles of ownership :jumpmove: