Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of a mkV - DSG and tuning  (Read 1881 times)

c.b

Thinking of a mkV - DSG and tuning
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:59:55 pm »
Hi all

I am thinking of changing my current car (focus ST) for a mk5 gti for a number of reasons - its a pig on fuel (28mpg yet my commute is 90% mway sitting at 70) and I do 16k a year, its getting to an age/mileage where I wont get much for it soon as nobody wants these cars when they are higher mileage (unlike the vee dub), couple of reliability issues and my mrs thinks its a chav mobile lol

The focus is running roughly 280+ brake and I'd like to get any golf I might buy to a similar level (hopefullt atleast 260) but also fancy a dsg box. Reading a lot of different forums I cant get a clear answer to the type of power a dsg can take (none of the main tuners mention a DSG version of a map on there website yet all the forums do) and does having the dsg remap increase this capability.

My other questions are

* Is the concensus on here that DSG is god? Been trying to get a dealer to lend me one for a day but they are having none of it!
* Do all DSG equipped gti's come with paddles?
* Are Xenon's standard?
* What type of MPG can I expect just cruising on the mway? (sorry I know its a hot hatch and this is usually a newbie flameing offence on focusstoc but its the money I spend on fuel thats making me fall out of love for my ST and attracting me to the GTI, just because I can afford it doesnt mean I'm happy paying it considering I only get to spend 10-20% of my time giving it the beans)

Any thoughts you think I might find relevant

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Thinking of a mkV - DSG and tuning
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:06:27 pm »
Hi Mate,

If your looking for 280+ bhp with DSG then your going to want a GTi ED30 and map it. Stage 1 your looking around the 280bhp mark. You can get 260+ from a Standard GTi but thats Stage 2 minimum and requires a Turbo Downpipe and CAI kit. ED30 will get around 280bhp with just a map.

DSG is brilliant. REVO do a DSG Map which raises the Upshift and also the Electronic Torque limit. A guy called Hurdy on here ran over 400Bhp through his no problem. See here for DSG Software:

DSG Clicky

MPG wise you will see High 30's to Low 40's on a mapped ED30 and mid to high 30's on a standard ED30 on a M'Way Cruise. Don't think Xenons are standard. Most of the later model DSG cars had Paddles as standard i think but someone more in the know will be along soon to help.

HTH

Carl
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:08:56 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:48:27 pm »
i think a stage 2+ normal GTI will be ample if you want the same performance as you have now. that should see you in the 270-280Hp region but at a cost of around £2000

Although if he does want more then an Ed30 is without doubt the way to go that will hit 280-300hp for only a £500 remap.  if you were to throw £2000, your into the 350hp region.  if your interested in how they perform here a couple threads to show the performance of the both variants of the TFSI(K03 and K04)

Dyno graph thread
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16977.0.html

1/4 mile times/leader board
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9380.0.html

loads of reviews on modifications in here as well 
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:53:40 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 09:25:42 pm »
Hi and Welcome..
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline markevo6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:32:35 am »

Hi and welcome

c.b

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:39 pm »
Cheers fellas

Been having a look round and the ed30 fetch quite a premium so I'm not sure what to do, originally I planned to just add a couple of k to mine so max 11k, but I used to have a mk4 diesel and if I always regretted not spending the extra bit on the anni model as it kept its value so much better, but if I was spending that sort of money I'm tempted to stretch to a 335d coupe.

Anyway if I was to get a standard mk5 DSG will I find Xenons and paddles as standard or is this something I will have to hunt for as I wouldnt consider a car without both.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:58:06 pm »
Neither mod is cheap. You will need a new steering wheel and controller for the paddles and the xenon's are not cheap either second hand. Both mods have been done on here quite a lot though. So all the info is here.  :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:05:46 pm »
You may find a car with both but they were not standard fit on a Standard GTi as far as im aware.

Someone more in the know will confirm no doubt

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:09:10 pm »
there are plenty of guys who can retrofit the parts though, if you can get hold of them off ebay or a scrappy

Offline bugsy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 11:16:00 pm »
hi

I Recently joined the mk5 gti stable a few weeks back, in answer to your question above mine is spec'd from factory with dsg, flappy paddles on steering wheel and xenons.

Although took me a while to find one with this spec, DSG, Xenons, elec seats, sunroof, puddle lights, folding mirrors, etc, i'm sure they are out there

You will find the spec your after eventually.

By the way auto gearboxes have never been my cup of tea, but i totally love the DSG  :smiley:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »
Welcome  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 09:34:26 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Hope you find your ideal car!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.