Make a donation

Author Topic: Warning Bongs  (Read 6288 times)

Offline els904

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Warning Bongs
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:18:33 am »
My Golf now no longer sounds bongs to accompany warnings like low external temperature, excessive speed, low washer fluid etc. - The warnings appear on the display with warning lights where appropriate, but no sound. However, the seat-belt warning still pings. Is this a fault, or have I inadvertently turned the sound off. If so, how do I turn it back on? Can't find any mention in the handbook.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
Re: Warning Bongs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:04:55 pm »
I don't think my car gives an audible warning either - apart from the visual warning that comes on the MFD display.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:07 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »
I get a 'bong' when the low temp warning comes up. Although when I disabled the seat belt chime thriough VCDS I lost it......
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:26:34 pm »
I disabled the seatbelt warning but still get bongs for cold weather/low tyre pressure etc.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »
I disabled the seatbelt warning but still get bongs for cold weather/low tyre pressure etc.

Strange mine only came back when I turned the seat belt warning back on... although my cluster is U.S spec

The seat belt chime goes off before you get in the drivers seat!
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:30:31 pm »
May be  the bongs don't happen if you have Recaros...I know I definately don't get the seat belt warning because of the Recaros.

Offline els904

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:43:50 am »
Just to clarify - I used to have the bongs, they've suddenly disappeared and I don't know why.

Offline humkar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 01:50:46 pm »
I get bongs for speeding over a certain limit, never new you get bongs for tempreture! I assume when you guys talk about tempreture, you're on about the engine tempreture!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 02:19:27 pm »
I get bongs for speeding over a certain limit, never new you get bongs for tempreture! I assume when you guys talk about tempreture, you're on about the engine tempreture!

Nope. Ambient air temperature from the external sensor reading. Sounds a chime/bong when temperature drops below 4 celcius.

Interestingly, mine still does this despite disabling the seat belt warning light/sound, just like Stealth.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline humkar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 03:13:57 pm »

Nope. Ambient air temperature from the external sensor reading. Sounds a chime/bong when temperature drops below 4 celcius.

Interestingly, mine still does this despite disabling the seat belt warning light/sound, just like Stealth.

Oh Thats funny, I always thought I heard strange bongs out of the blue. I assumed them to be my DPF filter light/warning, which I had disabled when my DPF was removed.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:45:28 pm »
never new you get bongs for tempreture!
There should be a flashing temperature reading on the dash to accompany the bong once the ambient temperature is below 4*C - it flashes three or four times and then stays solid.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 09:33:41 pm »

This is designed so that a driver can set a speed warning if using winter or other tyres which have a lower speed rating than the maximum speed of the car. You should be able to disable this and alter speed threshold via your multifunction display (midline or highline both support this).
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 09:55:11 pm »
Just to clarify - I used to have the bongs, they've suddenly disappeared and I don't know why.
...........& me,now just get the flashing * then it goes to a fixed *. Not bothered as you still see it & i hate those warning bongs anyway.Done for the yank market.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45:33 am »
IIRC the bong only sounds if the temperature drops through 4 celcius whilst driving. If the temperature on start up is sub 4 degrees, there will be no sound. It's designed to alert the driver to a dropping temperature, and not if the ambient temperature is already below that at start up.

So as long as the UK remains a suburb of Siberia, no one should be hearing temperature bongs for a while. -14 here last night. :surprised: