Make a donation

Author Topic: Just crashed... Any advice?  (Read 5644 times)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Just crashed... Any advice?
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:13:58 pm »
Hey folks... Before we start im ok and no one else was involved thankfully.

A blind give way junction (notorious) has caught me out, and last minute braking / turning helped avoid a tree (!) but I smashed into a high grass kerb, then a pole!

It looks like just front bumper damage if im honest, the splitter is hanging off and the bumper hanging off the right hand side. The right hand side headlamp is a bit loose (is that to do with the bumper being loose though?)

Not sure if it's worth going through insurance? I am going to ask a few local repair places tommorow.

These cars are like tanks it seems, I really thought it would be a lot worse but the bumper / grill has taken the force of it.

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Just crashed... Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:22:11 pm »
Glad your ok mate!

Headlight shouldnt be loose unless theres more damage under the bumper?

All depends how much your excess is?? You could source second hand parts and get them sprayed up but to be honest itll still cost you a few quid even if you have to repair the existing.

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »
Sorry to hear this Sean, but glad your ok and the damage doesn't sound too bad!

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:24:15 pm »
Hi Sean
Glad your ok, probably worth getting a few quotes before going through the insurance

Ed
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »
Hey folks thanks for the replies - Yeah I guess I will get a couple of quotes, then may just put it through insurance, i'd rather not obviously as I know it doesn't help everyones premiums! But I do have protected NCB thankfully.

Last time, someone drove into my old car, I wasn't in it, it was only mild panel damage and cost £900!
My excess is about £550

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:36:11 pm »
Glad your okay Sean,  But as for repair they'll all quote you stupid amounts,  If you have just got standard parts i.e none xenon lights and standard golf bumper,  it'll be cheaper to buy second hand parts and fix it yourself.

I had a car go into the side of me last year, unfortunately for me the other car didn't stop and I had to stump up the cost myself,  any way I hunted a few breakers on ebay and managed to get the parts,  front drivers door, front wing, and wing mirror and in all I had it back looking good the next day for £100.

Again glad your okay mate and no one else involved.

Darren

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:41:55 pm »
Hey Darren thank you mate,

Is this the right bumper?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-GTI-04-08-MK5-FRONT-BUMPER-Gti-GT-/370337974951?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5639dd0aa7

Would I need a splitter etc? I guess I also need the GTI grill bit (with the red surround as that's cracked)

My fogs are OK, and I don't have Xenons.

All standard stuff as far as I know.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:53:19 pm »
Sorry to hear about your accident mate,

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:11 pm »
thers someone breaking an entire golf gti mk 5 on ebay, saw it the other day, just type in mk 5 golf gti n its a few pages through i think

glad your ok

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 11:56:50 pm »
Just found this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-GTI-FRONT-BUMPER-MK5-PAINTED-249-99-2006-08-/130416785309?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5d72379d

Seems a good deal? States 2006-2008 but are the MK5 GTI's all the same bumpers from 04-09 anyway ??

I'd still need the grill for about £50 but considering the above link is £270 for a bumper and splitter all painted aint bad?

I guess I might need to buy some screws and stuff though in case any have broken off?

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 12:00:22 am »
Sean yes that's the bumper just make sure its genuine and every thing that,s not broke on yours should go straight onto the new bumper.

The main grille should be cheap enough to get and you can buy a repair kit for the headlights from VW for around £20, if one of your headlights has cracked or broken a lug off the light just buy the repair kit.

Darren

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:28:55 am »
It will cost more than £550.00 to fix it through a garage as labour rate will prob be £45.00 per hour at least.

It may well be that you should get it up on a ramp and get all of the bumper assembly removed though to check that there is no further damage behind which you cant see, as cars these days are designed to almost "spring back" and often a boot floor for eg can be creased even if the rear bumper looks not too bad.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 12:23:18 pm »
Hey folks,

OK i've just gone out to have a proper look at it.

Basically, i've taken the lower splitter off, as thats broken, the grill 'red' surround is snapped, i've taken that off, the grill itself is ok but broken at the screw mounts.

The front bumper definately needs replacing as it's scuffed and bent in at the front. I also need two wheel arch guards as they have dissapeared!

The radiator etc all things like that seem fine,

Everything else seems OK although now without the front splitter it looks a bit exposed under there, hope its ok to drive.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »
Wow. Horrendous news. Good to hear you're well. Cars can always be repaired but lives can't be replaced. I think that since nobody's property/vehicle/person was involved, you don't need to notify insurance. IF you did go through insurance, it's not only the excess you pay but also the loaded premium for the next five years or so.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
Hey folks,

OK i've just gone out to have a proper look at it.

Basically, i've taken the lower splitter off, as thats broken, the grill 'red' surround is snapped, i've taken that off, the grill itself is ok but broken at the screw mounts.

The front bumper definately needs replacing as it's scuffed and bent in at the front. I also need two wheel arch guards as they have dissapeared!

The radiator etc all things like that seem fine,

Everything else seems OK although now without the front splitter it looks a bit exposed under there, hope its ok to drive.

I would also be checking for rad leaks, as you may have pushed the whole thing back a bit, putting pressure on the connections.  :happy2: