Make a donation

Author Topic: Bargain or too good to be true....  (Read 1383 times)

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Bargain or too good to be true....
« on: December 02, 2010, 02:11:39 pm »
A friend of a friend of a friend has a 5 door Manual 06 Golf GTi with 90k on the clock. 17" Alloys and std cloth interior. Its got FSH with documented cambelt done at 70k, MOT until Aug 2011 and 1 previous owner.

Its been offered to me for £6,700. Its not exact spec of what im after but can easily upgrade to 18" alloys etc. Im going to see it and have a look around it, i already know its hpi clear only issue was on the check it flagged up saying "Data currently held on NMR indicates there may be a mileage discrepancy".  I know the NMR relies on MOT data etc so may be just a incorrectly entered mileage at MOT etc so will check service history and old MOT's etc.

Worth a punt at that price?
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline POC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
Re: Bargain or too good to be true....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:39:34 pm »
Great price, as long as the service history and MOT's back up the mileage reading on the car then it sounds a good deal to me.  I have an 06 gti and value it a great deal higher than that!

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »
I would say that's about average price to be honest.

I just sold my 05 plate with 82k on the clock for £7100 and it was mint with leather and loads of extras, full VW service history and cambelt/water pump done last month along with 4 brand new Eagle F1 tyres.

Remember, whatever a car is on autotrader for is not the price it'll sell for, just what the seller WANTS for it  :happy2:
I've seen '06 GTI's go for less than £6k recently, the prices have come down a lot in the last year.

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:13:48 pm »
check steering wheel,  pedal rubbers and gearstick (sloppy or tight) you want a high mileage motorway car, where all of these will not be heavily worn, and it will be in same condition as a town car with half the recorded mileage, you don't want a high mileage town car with lots of short journey's stop start, gear changes etc, etc, plus check the MoT's with the service records, be suspicious if no records or documents, plenty of cars around that have all the documents.

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:31:43 pm »
well bought my 2005 gti 8 weeks ago for £6500, 92000 miles, full service history, rear park assist, heated seats, and mirrors, stands me £6850 finished, parts I had to change,

New dv.
New PVC.
New brake servo.
New water connection.
General full service, spark plugs, oil, all filters and coolant change, and brake fluid change.

I am lucky I can do the work myself, so no labour charge, love the car and really pleased with it especially with the revo stage 1 map now on,

Offline smokeybubbles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 07:22:47 pm »
there are a lot of factors to take into account when buying a car.  age, mileage, history and condition are the main ones.  i'd pay as much money for a low mileage clean 05 plate with history as i would for a shoddy 08 plate...  maybe even more.  in fact i did.
To me mileage and condition are king.  but that on the surface of it looks to be cheap enough.

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:34:57 am »
thanks for the input - im thinking that if it had the spec i was ideally after, 18" alloys and leather then mileage wouldnt bother me and i'd snap it up. Also on other hand if it didnt have the 18" alloys and leather but it was average mileage then again id compromise.

But even though relatively cheap (although given what others have said about price maybe not that cheap) its still high miles and basic spec so may give it a miss.
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8